Bluetooth Trusted Devices?

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I use tasker and secure settings to achieve kind of the same thing.

Do you mind giving a bit of detail on how you do that? One of my frustrations with Android (when I had my GS4) is the inability to have "iphone like" notifications because I had to use the lockscreen. That is one of the things that drew me tot he Moto X, the ability to bypass security by using the Trusted Devices feature. I'm going to try the Moto X but have great interest in the Nexus 5 and would like to know how what you describe works in case I decide to send the Moto X back.

Thanks for any detail you can give.

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you mind giving a bit of detail on how you do that? One of my frustrations with Android (when I had my GS4) is the inability to have "iphone like" notifications because I had to use the lockscreen. That is one of the things that drew me tot he Moto X, the ability to bypass security by using the Trusted Devices feature. I'm going to try the Moto X but have great interest in the Nexus 5 and would like to know how what you describe works in case I decide to send the Moto X back.

Download tasker and secure settings. Set the trigger as connecting to whatever Bluetooth device you want and the effect as removing pin or password lock. Don't forget to also set it to reset the pin or password when it disconnects.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Download tasker and secure settings. Set the trigger as connecting to whatever Bluetooth device you want and the effect as removing pin or password lock. Don't forget to also set it to reset the pin or password when it disconnects.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds like you should make one App that does this and make some money since that is a great idea for a App.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make an app.

Don't feel bad I was a computer programer for about 25 years working on DOD's Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) and NASA projects and I have no clue either since I was a expert in several computer language that are now almost obsolete like ADA that died in 1997. My point is some 14 year old kid creates a Android or iOS App that makes him rich. Someone is going to take your idea and make a lot of money especially if they know how to patent that idea.

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel bad I was a computer programer for about 25 years working on DOD's Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) and NASA projects and I have no clue either since I was a expert in several computer language that are now almost obsolete like ADA that died in 1997. My point is some 14 year old kid creates a Android or iOS App that makes him rich. Someone is going to take your idea and make a lot of money especially if they know how to patent that idea.

While I would love to take credit for the idea, I found it somewhere on xda i believe. I think it was a thread about things to do with tasker. And this was one of the most practical uses I saw there.

Also, someone has made an app that does this.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=de.j4velin.delayedlock2&token=6sBAdDHh
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...4velin.delayedlock.plugins.bt2&token=TVVE0PrD

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
While I would love to take credit for the idea, I found it somewhere on xda i believe. I think it was a thread about things to do with tasker. And this was one of the most practical uses I saw there.

Also, someone has made an app that does this.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=de.j4velin.delayedlock2&token=XWqA_Vrx
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...4velin.delayedlock.plugins.bt2&token=DAQ7th1J

It doesn't appear that either of those apps will work around an Exchange policy that requires a PIN, which I think is what the OP was trying to accomplish. The problem with the way Android implements the lockscreen and PIN, is that Dynamic Notifications (to give "ios like" notifications at the lockscreen) don't work when there is a PIN lock. Touchdown allows the PIN requirement to be implemented at the app level rather than at the lockscreen level, but it costs $20.

I'm surmising the OP is trying to avoid paying the $20 (I know that is why I was inquiring).

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Here's a great tutorial:
Tasker 101: Lesson 16a - Auto Disable LockScreen at Home/in Car w/ Secure Settings Android App - YouTube

I have it setup to disable my lockscreen when I'm on my home wifi and my car bluetooth. The video shows how to disable the lockscreen/PIN when on home wifi, but with a small variation, it is very easy to setup your phone to do the same thing with wifi. First, download Tasker and also Secure Settings. Tasker by itself seems to have problems disabling lockscreen. According to the video, the Android updates make it increasingly difficult. Once you're in Tasker, you'll just have to create a profile by clicking the "+" to add a profile, select "state", then "net" and "bluetooth connected". Something like that. I'm writing this based on memory.

I don't have Pebble smartwatch, but as I understand, there is an app that keeps the phone unlocked when there is bluetooth connection between the N5 and the Pebble.

I've ordered a Cobra tag to be another trusted device, and I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Anyways, I have Dynamic Notifications and Tasker setup to disable PIN when on wifi and bluetooth. I have Moto X like functionality. I don't have the always listening feature or twist to launch camera, but I'm not sure I'd use that.

Still, I do have the temptation to get a Moto X. Although I haven't tried one out, the reported better battery life appeals to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance