"OK Google" voice activation, deactivated?

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So the "OK Google" voice activation was working from home and Google Now screens this morning when I got the phone. Now the microphone icon changed to this and won't react to my voice input so I have to manually tap the icon to start voice command. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I couldn't figure out what's been turned off or something went wrong. Can someone please help me out bringing the voice recognition (without touching the icon)?

LFbI+

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sigh. Tried hotword detection earlier but didn't do anything. I did have Japanese input (OS UI is in English). I turned it off entirely but still no change. No swift key installed. Anything else to check?

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I mean I did have other launchers installed but I'm talking about the stock one.

I hard reset the phone, didn't recover from old backup and set up as a new phone. So far it's working as it should. I'm too afraid of doing this again so I'm not installing the extra keyboard. I did install LastPass which adds its own input pref (but not checked), but so far it's not causing the problem.

Will have to monitor this for a while...

csloomis

May 4, 2010
Visit site
When I installed Swype the say OK Google text disappeared from the bar, but saying it still works. I think this issue has to do with language settings, including installing other keyboards.

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
After uninstalling the Japanese keyboard and rebooting the phone, the "say OK Google" message came back briefly but went away again. Maybe by installing another keyboard, it overwrites something and can't really undo it by just uninstalling the keyboard... I guess it's an annoying bug but I can't be too sure. Well, a bug or not, it is annoying...

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just had an issue where earpiece and microphone stopped working when making a test call. Rebooted device and then worked. Phone is completely stock, no apps installed yet. This issue also made OK Google stop working since the microphone was not functioning. What's funny is my phone never said "say OK Google" in the search box at top of the screen but works as it should.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the device yet, so can't exactly help with possible solutions. I would suggests keeping an eye on what you do and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does, try and associate that with something you could have done around that time to pinpoint the problem.

Keep us posted.

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is now doing the same thing. Weird.

Edit: A restart fixed it for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Mine is also doing this. A restart fixed it he first time but after a few hours it was "broken" again. I restarted again and so far it is working. I have not installed any launchers and have had English from initial setup. I did not change any options for Google Now except to turn it on during setup.

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I noticed when I started Pandora it would cause the hotword detection to stop working. Even after quitting it still didn't work. Only after force stopping Pandora did it start working again.

Are you using any music apps?

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the microphone icon went "outlined" (hotword activation disabled) when I was playing music via Bluetooth in my car. As soon as I got out the car (stopping music and/or unplugging bluetooth) the hotword activation was re-enabled.

1st time I had this problem (see 1st post), turning off additional keyboard (Google's Japanese keyboard input) or rebooting the phone didn't fix the problem. Now come to think of it I think I was testing that out in my car (parked, of course). This problem could be a combination of non-US English input enabled (or just installed) AND media playback. I just happened to have the worst combination of both at the same time so that may have complicated the diagnosis.

As of now, no extra keyboard installed, voice activation is working (microphone icon filled) as long as audio is not playing.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here. Saying "Okay Google" worked when I first turned the phone on, but I noticed it no longer does anything anymore.
I have installed SwiftKey and my Japanese keyboard, but haven't even opened/used the Japanese keyboard yet (only Swiftkey).

But from the looks of everyone in this thread, it's not a keyboard thing at all; seems to be a completely random and frustrating bug that will hopefully be patched to us really soon (along with the improved audio speaker quality that Phil wrote about here on AC!)

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record, as far as I can remember, I never actually activated Japanese keyboard when I had it like Jonneh's case. (Never had SwiftKey)