Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus 5 - Keyboard missing voice typing

Anyone else notice that? There used to be a microphone for voice typing in stock keyboard and now its gone. Am I missing something?

Edit: Delete post I figured out I had to enable in settings

Default Re: Google Nexus 5 - Keyboard missing voice typing

I have the same problem, voice typing is missing in Voice and Hangouts. I have Voice Input Key activated on the Google keyboard. Is there another setting I need to change?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by billman63 View Post
    I have the same problem, voice typing is missing in Voice and Hangouts. I have Voice Input Key activated on the Google keyboard. Is there another setting I need to change?

Odd, I have it in hangouts.

What is the solution for this?!

When I set up my N5 last night the voice input key was there (I used it to dictate an SMS in Hangouts). Then at at point it disappeared.

I've confirmed that "Voice input key" is checked in Keyboard Settings. I've also tried restarting.

Help!

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

Don't know if this is the same thing, but I use touch pal X keyboard. When I went to use voice, it said I had to download google voice search which I did. Haven't even tried other voice commands.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Settings -> Language & Input -> Google Voice Typing. Make certain it is enabled.
    Thanked by 4:

Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    Don't know if this is the same thing, but I use touch pal X keyboard. When I went to use voice, it said I had to download google voice search which I did. Haven't even tried other voice commands.
    I just use the stock keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Settings -> Language & Input -> Google Voice Typing. Make certain it is enabled.
    Ok, that fixed it! Thanks. How would that get unchecked?!

Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    My microphone is gone as well. I've got everything checked. I've got Google voice installed.. Switfkey has it. But when I switch to the Google keyboard, its nowhere to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by aco905 View Post
    My microphone is gone as well. I've got everything checked. I've got Google voice installed.. Switfkey has it. But when I switch to the Google keyboard, its nowhere to be found.

What is your system language set to?

What is your system language set to?
    English, us

If this doesn't resolve your issue (you're probably seeing a comma to the left of the space bar), you need to enable it in Hangouts directly. Press and hold the comma key and then slide over the settings popup and release. That opens the "Input Options" menu. Select "Google Keyboard Settings" and tick the "Voice input key" checkbox. If you've done both of these you should have the microphone button instead of the comma button to the left of the space bar.

I replied too soon, you are correct this was the answer. I did enable it and now the microphone has returned. Thank you very much!

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

Not only that, you also need "Settings -> Language & Input -> Google Keyboard -> Voice input key" set on to get the microphone key in your keyboard.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    If this doesn't resolve your issue (you're probably seeing a comma to the left of the space bar), you need to enable it in Hangouts directly. Press and hold the comma key and then slide over the settings popup and release. That opens the "Input Options" menu. Select "Google Keyboard Settings" and tick the "Voice input key" checkbox. If you've done both of these you should have the microphone button instead of the comma button to the left of the space bar.
    Done both if these, still no voice input key. It was there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Denney View Post
    Done both if these, still no voice input key. It was there yesterday.
    Go into language and input, and enable Google Voice typing it is in the same area as the Google keyboard and swiftkey, you will have a blue check next to the Google Voice typing . I will also guess that when you do any sort of voice dictation it does not show up as you speak. It waits until you're completely done speaking and then the words show up . This means that you do not have the Google Voice typing option checked in the phone settings.

Posted by Nexus 5 and the Android Central App

You saved the day. Very good find.

Android Central App

I was having the same issue and the "solution" for me was to stop looking for the microphone when I was in the input box for the email address! Once I tapped into the compose-body window the microphone appeared. I have to remember this is going to anticipate what I need before I do...

Also, I removed languages and the google options were grayed out restarting my phone brought them back.