The Future of the Nexus Line

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So I thought it would cool to get peoples thoughts on where the line goes from here. I think it's exciting how well this newest device been received. Google took a couple of big gambles with this iteration.

Cutting edge specs (mostly)
Price
Leaving the nation's largest carrier out of the equation

But lucking I think they're being rewarded for it. Is the camera equal to a Nokia or Sony? No. But that's one compromise I'm willing to accept. This is a big win for them as a hole. But what do Google and their partners do next? I think the general consensus is that LG is most likely done after the 5. Samsung has had their shot twice. Motorola seems possible, but with their X line and their exclusivity with the Droid name on Verizon it seems like their pate is rather full. Sony could be the next to take up the mantle and deliver something truly special. Or could we see another visit from HTC? Their build quality is exceptional and it could boost their lagging sales. Asus is another possibility but they haven't really made a mar with phones at all in North America. Could it be someone from left field like Huawei. And who knows what's ahead for the N7 and N10.

What do you guys think? Where does the future of the Nexus family lay?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I thought it would cool to get peoples thoughts on where the line goes from here. I think it's exciting how well this newest device been received. Google took a couple of big gambles with this iteration.

Cutting edge specs (mostly)
Price
Leaving the nation's largest carrier out of the equation

But lucking I think they're being rewarded for it. Is the camera equal to a Nokia or Sony? No. But that's one compromise I'm willing to accept. This is a big win for them as a hole. But what do Google and their partners do next? I think the general consensus is that LG is most likely done after the 5. Samsung has had their shot twice. Motorola seems possible, but with their X line and their exclusivity with the Droid name on Verizon it seems like their pate is rather full. Sony could be the next to take up the mantle and deliver something truly special. Or could we see another visit from HTC? Their build quality is exceptional and it could boost their lagging sales. Asus is another possibility but they haven't really made a mar with phones at all in North America. Could it be someone from left field like Huawei. And who knows what's ahead for the N7 and N10.

What do you guys think? Where does the future of the Nexus family lay?

This is just my opinion: I don't think Google left Verizon out, I think Verizon opted out.

As for the next manufacturer to take the Nexus line: I would like to see Sony or even Moto. Since Moto is now part of Google, I think the exclusive devices for Verizon is going to stop.

Tablets....I think LG and HTC should make some. In fact that would be a good time for them to make another mark in the Android field.

Jlav78

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I want Sony to make the next one, it could finally mean a great camera on a nexus phone instead of a good enough one

Posted via Android central app on my rooted LG Google Nexus 4

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
For the phones, I'd like to see Sony get a shot and Samsung another shot.

For tablets, I'd like to see what LG or even SONY does.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
In order of my preference

Sony
Motorola
Huawei

I could easily see Google giving someone like Huawei a shot to better their chance at increasing their entry into emerging markets.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Since Moto is now part of Google, I think the exclusive devices for Verizon is going to stop.

But Motorola signed an exclusive deal to be the sole manufacturer of the DROID line.

Posted via Android Central App

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
But Motorola signed an exclusive deal to be the sole manufacturer of the DROID line.

But that doesn't have anything to do with Motorola doing a Nexus, as evidenced by the Moto X not being exclusive on Verizon. So while Verizon had the lock on DROID devices as Sprint had a lock on Evo's, it doesn't mean that those lines will continue unless the carrier is willing to commit to the investment in that manufacturer to build their own devices, and long term that kind of effort is very costly for a manufacturer, not just up front, but also in missed opportunity cost while not having their best devices on every possible network. That's why the Evo went away, and it's why the iPhone came to every carrier. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see another Droid, and if you did, Verizon would have to pay a boatload of money to get Motorola to do it.

And on topic again, I'd like to see Motorola get a shot at the Nexus line, but I have a doubt as to whether that becomes "anti-competitive". With HTC's amazing hardware, I'd like to see them get another shot at a Google Phone, but it doesn't seem like HTC wants to give up Sense. And with Sony taking the company away from marketing and giving it back to the engineers recently, I have no doubt they can compete in the marketplace.

Personally I'd be more interested to see what they're going to call it, and what the hardware is going to look like. I'd be bummed if they turned it into a Nexus 6.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Did the Droid DNA have a ui closer to HTC Sense or Motorola Motoblur?

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is what does the Droid line have in common across manufacturers?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Did the Droid DNA have a ui closer to HTC Sense or Motorola Motoblur?

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is what does the Droid line have in common across manufacturers?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Other than the DROID boot-up and wallpapers, not much.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see multiple Nexus phones released in a single year. This would be analogous to how the Nexus tablets come out. The Nexus 7 is from Asus and the Nexus 10 is from Samsung. We could have something similar with the phones.

For next year, Google could come out with 2 Nexus phones made by different manufacturers. Both would run stock Android, but they would have different screen sizes, build materials, and price points.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It'd be interesting if Xiaomi got to make the next Nexus. Maybe Hugo Berra will be the one that brings together Google and Xiaomi for a Nexus-partnership. They make very nice phones. It'd be an excellent way for them to penetrate the US market, too.

xiaomi-miphone-3-1-454x540.jpg

Xiaomi-Mi31.jpg

xiaomi-mi3.jpg

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know who'll make the next Nexus phone, and I'm not that concerned about it. Google's goal with the nexus phones are two-fold: to give consumers a pure Google experience, and to do so at a reasonable enough price to loosen the grip of carriers over devices. That's why Google has been perfectly content to leave Verizon out in the last two iterations of the phone.

We can expect the next Nexus phone to follow in these footsteps. The more people come to detest and opt out of the carrier subsidy-contract model, the better for Google's ultimate goal of converging user experiences regardless of device (ergo KitKat being super low resource compatible and Google breaking off apps and making them available through the play store).

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I think with Apple and Microsoft soon doing a hardware and software design they may start to look into keeping it in house. Who knows, that may save them money in the long run. Socks for makers like LG and Asus though.

Sent from my gameboy color

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I just hope they pick someone that can afford to make it less cheap.

Let's be honest- The Nexus 5 is a cheap feeling phone. Specs are excellent but this is arguably the least premium feeling Nexus ever. I know that's not the point of the phone, which really is to create an inexpensive phone primarily for developers to use with current specs. Giving the public a "true Google experience" is secondary.

That being said I think they can do a little better and I'd like to see the next manufacturer do just that.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just hope they pick someone that can afford to make it less cheap.

Let's be honest- The Nexus 5 is a cheap feeling phone. Specs are excellent but this is arguably the least premium feeling Nexus ever. I know that's not the point of the phone, which really is to create an inexpensive phone primarily for developers to use with current specs. Giving the public a "true Google experience" is secondary.

That being said I think they can do a little better and I'd like to see the next manufacturer do just that.

It doesn't feel cheap to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't feel cheap to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority but I'm being honest and not making any excuses for the device. In terms of materials and feel, there is nothing but average here.

Outside the of the great screen and performance, its extremely blah. At least the ceramic buttons are kinda cool.