Moto X to Nexus 5- My likes and dislikes, AMA

jbmeicher

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Things I miss so far:

Active Display- hands down the best feature of the Moto X in my opinion. The always on voice control is nice I guess, but I rarely used it.

Hand Feel- I should maybe attribute this to the fact that I have been using the Moto X since early September, and before a Nexus 4, so I am used to having a more rounded device. On paper it does not spec out to be much larger than either of my previous 2 devices, but it sure feels bigger, again- this will take some getting used to.

External Speaker- Granted I was up late last night like a 4 year old playing with a new toy and was very tired this morning, but I felt like the alarm wasn't as loud when woke up. Aside from hangouts notifications in my quiet apartment, I haven't given the Nexus 5 a proper field test for ringer/notification volume. Not the biggest deal in the world for me as far as music goes, I stream my music device => chromecast or use headphones. However, the few times that I use speaker phone this may be an issue.

Side Buttons- I should preface this by saying the feel and 'clickiness' of the N5's side buttons is far superior than the Moto X. This is more of a location issue for me. Coming straight from the Nexus 4, the fact the wake buttons and volume rocker were on the same side on the Moto X took a bit of getting used to but in the end I really really liked it.

Camera- I have only taken a few demo shots, I can't wait to get more use out of the N5 especially when they provide users w/ a firmware update. But its the wrist gesture to activate the camera on the Moto X was awesome. What I originally thought to be a gimmick and awkward when I saw demo videos became a fluid motion from pocket to camera. Other Moto X users know what I'm talking about, but the double wrist flick wasn't so weird after I got the hang of it.

Motorola Spotlight Player- The red hat story was amazing, I wish I would be able to see more.

Battery- I'm just a bit worried thats all. I got used to a full day which was realllllly nice. I have a TYLT Qi charger at my desk which will make a big difference though.

Things I do not miss:

Bloatware- Insert Nexus fanboy "**** carrier bloatware rabble rabble rabble" here. But in all seriousness, it is really nice to not have 5 pages of apps in my launcher. However! Some stuff was ******* great like the moto spotlight player

Sound quality- I've ran through some of my favorite music, stuff I've listened to hundreds of times and was immediately blown away. Odds are this is because it was coming from a new shiny thing, but I really think there was a difference. I had the EQ settings the same on my google music too. I still have both devices and will run them to my AudioEngine A5's tonight to get a better feel for this. I'll also include headphone positioning here- I really didn't like the 'bump' in the middle where the jack was placed on the Moto X

Dat Back- This is a personal opinion, but I am a huge fan of the soft touch. Love it on my 2013 N7, and although it is a bit different I like the back of the N5 even more.

Charger Orientation- Yea I'm going here... The orientation of the micro usb was inverted between my N7 and the Moto X. Now they are the same again and all is right in the world.

Screen Resolution- The N5 is sexy. I'll include the aesthetic appeal of 4.4 here as well, it just looks so damn good. I love the move from #HOLOYOLO that is going on, get rid of that Tron Blue PLEASE

Anyways- I didn't really intend for that to be so long.
TL;DR I miss active display, gesture control (camera launch), battery, and hand feel. I don't miss the carrier bloatware, sound output quality, screen resolution, and non-current OS.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you have any issues with your Moto X (eg random reboots)? I have the Nexus 5, but was also considering the Moto X.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Charger Orientation- Yea I'm going here... The orientation of the micro usb was inverted between my N7 and the Moto X. Now they are the same again and all is right in the world.

HaHa!! Thats the first thing I thought of when I plugged my N5 in for the 1st time. Always bothered me that the charger orientation was different between the N7 & the N4.

jbmeicher

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I never had issues with the Moto X, the youtube app would act up sometimes but i do not attribute that to the hardware

Did you have any issues with your Moto X (eg random reboots)? I have the Nexus 5, but was also considering the Moto X.

- - - Updated - - -

HaHa!! Thats the first thing I thought of when I plugged my N5 in for the 1st time. Always bothered me that the charger orientation was different between the N7 & the N4.

PREACH

dsam79

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm also trying to decide between Moto X and Nexus 5.

One thing no one mentioned was how much easier it is to unlock the bootloader of the Nexus 5. The Moto X process is much more involved and troublesome.

I really love the feel of the Moto X though and prefer its smaller size. But it is significantly more expensive and more difficult to unlock the boot loader.

If you buy the T-Mobile Moto X, there is no bloatware (as I have heard). So the bloatware is dependent on which carrier you use. Personally, I hate bloatware so I will buy for T-Mobile for this reason alone.

ktt4510

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

One thing no one mentioned was how much easier it is to unlock the bootloader of the Nexus 5. The Moto X process is much more involved and troublesome.

I really love the feel of the Moto X though and prefer its smaller size. But it is significantly more expensive and more difficult to unlock the boot loader.

If you buy the T-Mobile Moto X, there is no bloatware (as I have heard). So the bloatware is dependent on which carrier you use. Personally, I hate bloatware so I will buy for T-Mobile for this reason alone.
FWIW i own the Sprint Moto X and most of the pre installed apps are removable, the exceptions are Sprint's voicemail app,Sprint Zone, Migration, and Motocare. I personally use all of the google apps that are there by default so I didn't check those. I was surprised they were removable to be honest and for that reason I haven't had a need to unlock bootloader or root.

dsam79

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a need to unlock bootloader or root.

Sure, but in the future I would like to have the ability to install maybe CyanogenMod or the upcoming Ubuntu-Touch. So being able to unlock the bootloader is mandatory for me to even consider buying the phone.

ktt4510

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Sure, but in the future I would like to have the ability to install maybe CyanogenMod or the upcoming Ubuntu-Touch. So being able to unlock the bootloader is mandatory for me to even consider buying the phone.
I can see that being a necessity. That is one of the reasons the Sprint or T-Mobile version would be better. Both can have bootloader unlocked officially. Now it just depends on which one provides the service you need.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Dev edition Moto Xs will help.

Posted via Android Central App

ktt4510

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post, but the DEV moto x requires the same arduous unlock procedure as say the T-Mobile version. Unfortunately.

It would be nice if there were any other phones as easy to unlock bootloaders on as the Nexus Phones. As it stands now though the best you have is the official Motorola Unlock which is very similar to the HTC unlock tool and in my opinion much easier than HTC. At least you don't have to use some reverse engineered work around that may or may not work based upon some irregularity in your particular pc or phone setup.. Sure it isn't a 1-click tool but it is still pretty simple and less risky compared to the unlock method one AT&T or VZW (non-dev) models.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Nice writeup. I'll add a little into here when I get my N5 later today, as I currently own a Moto X as well.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 on owning both. Have not even seen my nexus 5 yet but it is sitting on my home office desk. Plan to check it out when I get home tonight.

Although I really like how useful my moto x is, I plan to use my Nexus 5 as my daily driver for two weeks to give it a good trial. Already have my case and screen protector ready!

So far I an to try dynamic notifications and 8sms for texts since I have no interest in hangouts. More to come...

Sent from my Moto X!