Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madlaw1071
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Default Headphone Volume Too Low On Nexus 5

Hey Guys just wondering is there any apps that work to increase headphone volume, playing through google music, EQ enabled and its very quiet.

Default Re: Headphone Volume Too Low On Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by ptm88 View Post
    Hey Guys just wondering is there any apps that work to increase headphone volume, playing through google music, EQ enabled and its very quiet.
    If you are willing to try another player, install the PowerAmp music player then go to menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain and mess with the settings. You can greatly increase the output volume without distortion for both the speaker and headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    If you are willing to try another player, install the PowerAmp music player then go to menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain and mess with the settings. You can greatly increase the output volume without distortion for both the speaker and headsets.
    Great suggestion. If possible, it would probably be helpful to post the specific settings users can adjust to get volume. Otherwise it's just trial and error which could be frustrating. But again, thanks for the suggestion.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

PRO TIP, turn off the EQ and the volume explodes. Much louder than the S4 or One. My bluetooth headphones have various EQ settings built in that dont affect the volume.
    scorpiodsu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    Great suggestion. If possible, it would probably be helpful to post the specific settings users can adjust to get volume. Otherwise it's just trial and error which could be frustrating. But again, thanks for the suggestion.
    It's pretty straightforward. Menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain -> Replay Gain -> Apply Gain. Next, tap RG preamp and set the value to any number higher than 0db. Same for the "Preamp for songs without RG info. Start with numbers in the 7 - 10db range and then move up from there if necessary.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    PRO TIP, turn off the EQ and the volume explodes. Much louder than the S4 or One. My bluetooth headphones have various EQ settings built in that dont affect the volume.
    Are you talking about the EQ in google play music or is there a global EQ? I dont see any in the settings app.

Quote Originally Posted by JonK View Post
    Are you talking about the EQ in google play music or is there a global EQ? I dont see any in the settings app.
    EQ in the Google Play Music settings. It mutes the volume way too much IMO.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    EQ in the Google Play Music settings. It mutes the volume way too much IMO.
    Unreal it like cuts the volume in half...

Viper4android should be a mandatory app for anyone using headphones.

from my RastaKat/Trinity [n⁴]
    Thanked by:

Yeah the earphone is bad on the nexus. I did a test same song on both my apple nano and nexus using the same headphone and the nano was better....

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    It's pretty straightforward. Menu -> Audio -> Replay Gain -> Replay Gain -> Apply Gain. Next, tap RG preamp and set the value to any number higher than 0db. Same for the "Preamp for songs without RG info. Start with numbers in the 7 - 10db range and then move up from there if necessary.
    It may be straightforward to you but everyone does not know . But thanks. I appreciate it.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1287 View Post
    Viper4android should be a mandatory app for anyone using headphones.

from my RastaKat/Trinity [n⁴]
    Can you elaborate? Have you tried it with the N5? Works fine? Im a little weary of apps that boost volume because distortion/clipping can destroy speakers. Do you know how this app works? Does it actually boost the voltage of the preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by JonK View Post
    Can you elaborate? Have you tried it with the N5? Works fine? Im a little weary of apps that boost volume because distortion/clipping can destroy speakers. Do you know how this app works? Does it actually boost the voltage of the preamp?
    I don't have an N5 but its working fine on 4.4 for me. It does require root and there's nothing else available that can so greatly improve overall sound quality and volume on android.

Its really a must have for any android phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ha! I just plugged in my cans to test the headphone jack and was thinking the same thing! Gotta play with that some. Though I rarely use the phone to power them - mostly audible books but still.

Tweaked the EQ a bit and they sound a bit better - really I think the phone just doesn't have the power to push them though. Not a huge deal for me - I'm sure my earbuds will be fine at that volume - not looking to be deaf.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Driscoll View Post
    Ha! I just plugged in my cans to test the headphone jack and was thinking the same thing! Gotta play with that some. Though I rarely use the phone to power them - mostly audible books but still.

Tweaked the EQ a bit and they sound a bit better - really I think the phone just doesn't have the power to push them though. Not a huge deal for me - I'm sure my earbuds will be fine at that volume - not looking to be deaf.
    its not that the phone doesn't have the power, its the crappy "audiofx" that google keep on using as a dsp.
    i cant emphasize enough my hatred of "audiofx" and the sheer stupidity of google's continuing use of it, its absolutely useless and puts the audio of their phones in a very bad light.
    install viper4android and you can see how good the audio can be (beats anything imho), if only google would implement a decent dsp.

Yes, headphone volume is really bad. It is at least 12dB less than the MyTouch.