Hangout with the Nexus 5 isn't for me

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I had several smart phones but this new Hangout that is command central for Phone calls, texts (SMS) and email (MMS) isn't for me. I had to delete everyone of my email address on my home laptop in the Gmail. That was because I had two two contacts for each person and since they always download from the cloud address from my Laptop to my N5. I couldn't stand having two contact records for every person I had both their cell phone and mail address.

Now I went old school. Hangout was replaced by 8SMS App that is upgraded for Kit Kat and works like a normal text message App. Phone calls are made from the Contact list that uses to be shared with Hangout. I was moving from Yahoo Mail to Gmail but Hangout sent my email back to Yahoo.

I'm too old to want to Hangout when all I want to do is text or call or email someone. I know a lot of people like Hangout but I have wasted two days trying to get use to Hangout with it's quirky UI. Love my N5 it is a great phone.

g f

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I thoroughly agree. It?s a mess to delete duplicated or old contacts, it?s a mess to edit contacts (still haven?t sussed it!), and I?m not too happy with my today-arrived Nexus 5. Sound is awful as well, lots need fixing for me. Going back to my Xperia Arc S (rooted): much, much better!

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had several smart phones but this new Hangout that is command central for Phone calls, texts (SMS) and email (MMS) isn't for me. I had to delete everyone of my email address on my home laptop in the Gmail. That was because I had two two contacts for each person and since they always download from the cloud address from my Laptop to my N5. I couldn't stand having two contact records for every person I had both their cell phone and mail address.

Now I went old school. Hangout was replaced by 8SMS App that is upgraded for Kit Kat and works like a normal text message App. Phone calls are made from the Contact list that uses to be shared with Hangout. I was moving from Yahoo Mail to Gmail but Hangout sent my email back to Yahoo.

I'm too old to want to Hangout when all I want to do is text or call or email someone. I know a lot of people like Hangout but I have wasted two days trying to get use to Hangout with it's quirky UI. Love my N5 it is a great phone.

I installed Textra and it automatically switched everything from Hangouts to itself. All my conversations moved over and I am very happy with it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't quite understand why you guys are getting double contacts. I am not seeing any myself on a Nexus 4 with Hangouts as my default messaging app. Are these contacts in your Google Plus Circle?

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the problems is either. I use hangouts everyday, I call people everyday, and I email people everyday, and I don't have duplicate contacts.

Sent from my badass Nexus 5

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't send MMS through hangouts from the gallery. But in the app it will let me record a 20 second video. Anyway to fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

Zer081

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I was not sure about using hangouts for chat & sms all in one go when I first got the N5, but was determined to persist with it, so after spending a few hours getting my google contacts up to date on Gmail (In the past I had relied on getting data synced with facebook as well as I was on an older version of android on the SII) I have had no problems at all and love the interface - plus its one less app you need to have runnnig all the time as well!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't quite understand why you guys are getting double contacts. I am not seeing any myself on a Nexus 4 with Hangouts as my default messaging app. Are these contacts in your Google Plus Circle?

When I first got my Nexus 5 with Hangout the contact list had two contacts for each person. One for phone number and the second for email address that was Sync from my gmail contacts on my home laptop by Google.

Hangout has got a major update since the Nexus 5 was first released. I just re-installed Hangout yesterday and I am going to play with it again after the update. No opinion yet on the update but I still have all my email contacts deleted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith