Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Smile Very positive, only 2 negatives

I am loving my new Nexus 5! I have had it for about 2 days now and I have experienced a lot of positives that make me very happy with switching from my HTC One.

There are only two negatives that I can honestly report, and I believe most people will agree.

1. the first is battery life. Now the HTC One didn't have OMG EPIC battery life either, but the N5 seems to be slightly less. I know it still needs time to calibrate and the battery life will improve as I "break it in". I am a massage therapist so obviously I do not get a chance to use my phone much while at work. But I do get a 1 hr lunch break and I use my phone a lot during that time. I mostly just get on facebook and twitter, maybe listen to a few min of music, and play candy crush or some other time wasting game. Today I started my break with about 69 percent battery (only about 3 hours after a full charge) I did my usual things on my phone, and at the end of my break my battery was at 32 percent. To me that is a huge drop in just an hour of what I consider "medium use". By the time I had to charge my phone (I let it go completely dead) it had only been 8 hours since its last full charge. which is not that great. Also, the context of my usage is: I was on my work's wifi, I had screen brightness on auto, google now is enabled. Again, I know it will get better, but from my experience so far, that is one of the negatives.

2. Second negative for me is the speaker volume. I was spoiled by the HTC One's speakers even though a lot of people call it gimmicky, I actually used it. I listen to music directly from my phone while getting ready for work. (using headphones while getting ready is just a pain) But I saw that phil said that he thinks it might be a software thing, so hopefully that will be fixed.

Everything else is EXCELLENT!!! I love the screen, KitKat is so fast and smooth. No lag. Camera is great IMO. Overall golden experience. Love the new N5!

Default Re: Very positive, only 2 negatives

i agree to the second point. Volume is weak compared to my HTC one but the HTC is a sound beast anyway.
    Regarding battery life i feel like Nexus5 is quite a bit better compared to my HTC one GPE.
    Both phones beeing in fligt mode over night (about seven hours) HTC uses about 7 % Nexus 5 0% just like my iPhones. So google did something in Kitkat.
    Looking forward to get the 4.4 update for my HTC one.

I still have to play with the phone more but the video quality is not very good. Not smooth and stutters a lot
    huntnyc likes this.

Li ion battery had no break in process, it only needs a calibration once a while.

What you get is what you get.

@T-Mobile GN3

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Li ion battery had no break in process, it only needs a calibration once a while.

What you get is what you get.

@T-Mobile GN3
    No. Watch Sam Pullen's video on YouTube. The battery did improve.

I agree with the second point. Not a big fan of the speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Question, it dropped 31% in 3 hours of no/ little use before your lunch. Seems way to much . I want a nexus 5 and am looking into battery life but my iPhone 4s would only drop about 10 - 15 with WiFi on in a similar amount of time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamartin89 View Post
    I am loving my new Nexus 5! I have had it for about 2 days now and I have experienced a lot of positives that make me very happy with switching from my HTC One.

There are only two negatives that I can honestly report, and I believe most people will agree.

1. the first is battery life. Now the HTC One didn't have OMG EPIC battery life either, but the N5 seems to be slightly less. I know it still needs time to calibrate and the battery life will improve as I "break it in". I am a massage therapist so obviously I do not get a chance to use my phone much while at work. But I do get a 1 hr lunch break and I use my phone a lot during that time. I mostly just get on facebook and twitter, maybe listen to a few min of music, and play candy crush or some other time wasting game. Today I started my break with about 69 percent battery (only about 3 hours after a full charge) I did my usual things on my phone, and at the end of my break my battery was at 32 percent. To me that is a huge drop in just an hour of what I consider "medium use". By the time I had to charge my phone (I let it go completely dead) it had only been 8 hours since its last full charge. which is not that great. Also, the context of my usage is: I was on my work's wifi, I had screen brightness on auto, google now is enabled. Again, I know it will get better, but from my experience so far, that is one of the negatives.

2. Second negative for me is the speaker volume. I was spoiled by the HTC One's speakers even though a lot of people call it gimmicky, I actually used it. I listen to music directly from my phone while getting ready for work. (using headphones while getting ready is just a pain) But I saw that phil said that he thinks it might be a software thing, so hopefully that will be fixed.

Everything else is EXCELLENT!!! I love the screen, KitKat is so fast and smooth. No lag. Camera is great IMO. Overall golden experience. Love the new N5!
    your better off getting a (GOOD) portable Bluetooth speaker

Quote Originally Posted by tbgjlb View Post
    Question, it dropped 31% in 3 hours of no/ little use before your lunch. Seems way to much . I want a nexus 5 and am looking into battery life but my iPhone 4s would only drop about 10 - 15 with WiFi on in a similar amount of time

I've been using mine since Monday evening. The first night I went to bed with it fully charged just to see how much if lose over night. Battery was at 96% after sitting idle for about 8 hours on Wi-Fi. Much better than my GNex lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

My Nexus 5 has been on 4h 48min. I have 3 push emails accounts active, have made a 15 minute phone call, and browsed the internet and app store. It is currently at 92% with WiFi and Bluetooth turned on.

With about 3 hours of use with the screen on, it's usually has about 50% left after 16 hours of unplugging it from the charger.
    huntnyc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tbgjlb View Post

I agree I charged my phone up last night before I went to bed and unplugged it. Got up this morning after 7 hours of sleep and the N5 was showing 96% charged. I don't even have a strong cell tower connection since it shows only one bar on signal (works good for calls). Weak cell tower signal should make the phone use more battery when it isn't being used. I have the Wi-Fi on but the Bluetooth and NFC off. I only had the N5 since Tuesday afternoon but it has got a lot of use downloading about 60 apps from my old phone backup from Gmail and me having to type in about 70 people cell phone records. Top that off with I went into every App and signed in and tested that App was working. I played a few games on the N5 and read a lot of the Current App stories. Since I had a major fight with the New Hangout and got fed up enough to replace the Text SMS app with 8SMS App it has got a lot of use since Tuesday and I have only had to charge the N5 twice.

Quote Originally Posted by James Heim View Post
    I've been using mine since Monday evening. The first night I went to bed with it fully charged just to see how much if lose over night. Battery was at 96% after sitting idle for about 8 hours on Wi-Fi. Much better than my GNex lol.

That 96% is exactly what I saw today when I got up after sleeping a little more than 7 hours with the phone idle. That was with both Wi-Fi and Cell services turned on overnight with the N5 idle and no other actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    That 96% is exactly what I saw today when I got up after sleeping 7 hours plus being idle with both Wi-Fi and Cell services turned on.
    Yep I had cell service on as well. So far very pleased.

Is it just me or is the screen not as bright as the nexus⁴ I'm actually thinking about returning it for another one

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon6 View Post
    Is it just me or is the screen not as bright as the nexus⁴ I'm actually thinking about returning it for another one

Have you tried turning off auto brightness? I find that it is brighter on auto than my old HTC One.

Does nexus 5 support Arabic Language -read & write??