N5 on AT&T Q&A

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking through the forums, and I've seen some correct and incorrect info about the N5 and getting it hooked up on AT&T service.

As a corporate Retail Sales Consultant for AT&T, and a member of these forms, I'd like to help anyone with questions about the Nexus 5 and either postpaid or GoPhone plans, service, and general how-to when entering a store.

I'll try to answer questions as fast and as best as I can

Posted via Android Central App

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking through the forums, and I've seen some correct and incorrect info about the N5 and getting it hooked up on AT&T service.

As a corporate Retail Sales Consultant for AT&T, and a member of these forms, I'd like to help anyone with questions about the Nexus 5 and either postpaid or GoPhone plans, service, and general how-to when entering a store.

I'll try to answer questions as fast and as best as I can

Great. I have an iPhone 5 with the nano sim. I have an old micro sim from a different phone that isn't activated anymore. Can I call and have that old sim activated to use when my N5 arrives tomorrow or will I need to go to a store to get a new sim?

Videoman87

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously debating Gophone for my new Nexus. To what degree is the prepaid service a lesser service than the contractual 2-year subscriber plan? Are there data caps/roaming costs? Can the GoPhone 4g LTE really be called 4G LTE?

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Great. I have an iPhone 5 with the nano sim. I have an old micro sim from a different phone that isn't activated anymore. Can I call and have that old sim activated to use when my N5 arrives tomorrow or will I need to go to a store to get a new sim?

Old SIM's are toast once a new SIM is activated on an account. Stop in a store or call Customer Care and get a new one. Have proper authorization before doing either

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously debating Gophone for my new Nexus. To what degree is the prepaid service a lesser service than the contractual 2-year subscriber plan? Are there data caps/roaming costs? Can the GoPhone 4g LTE really be called 4G LTE?

GoPhone works strictly with AT&T, versus postpaid (monthly bill) is set up for roaming with other carriers.

The best GoPhone plans for smartphone are $40 (500min, untl text, 200MB data) and $60 (untl talk and text, 2GB data)

It's really LTE, if your device can accept LTE. And the Nexus 5 can

Last edited:

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Proper Authorization?

You are either:
1. An authorized user on an account, with valid ID. Necessary for going into store and getting activated SIM on said account
2. Know pass code/last 4 of SSN. If calling in, they will ask for either

Of course, if it's your account, you should have all this info

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh duh. I was thinking, "Who needs to authorize stuff on my account?" Thanks for that info. Greatly appreciated.

You are either:
1. An authorized user on an account, with valid ID. Necessary for going into store and getting activated SIM on said account
2. Know pass code/last 4 of SSN. If calling in, they will ask for either

Of course, if it's your account, you should have all this info

vsloo

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a grandfathered unlimited iphone data plan from the old 3gs. What should I do? Go into the store and upgrade to a non-iphone data plan? I assume I'll get to keep my unlimited and price?

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a grandfathered unlimited iphone data plan from the old 3gs. What should I do? Go into the store and upgrade to a non-iphone data plan? I assume I'll get to keep my unlimited and price?

Yeah you will. I've had numerous upgrades and just phones I bring into the store to get a SIM card for and never been a problem with my unlimited data

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Go in, add IMEI for Nexus, get unlimited data on LTE, profit.

There is nothing that says to remove unlimited data if you already have it. Even during an upgrade, it will allow me to keep unlimited at $30 with LTE. So you assume correctly

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, Received my N5 yesterday, downloaded the update, drove to Att Corporate store, asked them to switch my SIM card and enable LTE. I have the unlimited data plan from the old iPhone days and no questions asked other than how my service was. Walked in and out in 15 minutes with the N5 on LTE. Initial speedtests in the parking lot there was 24 down and 12 up. I noticed the APNs were still the old N4 APNs with phone and wap. I'm planning on tweaking the APN to see if that does anything.

Long story short, ATT does work on N5 and no need to give up unlimited data.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, Received my N5 yesterday, downloaded the update, drove to Att Corporate store, asked them to switch my SIM card and enable LTE. I have the unlimited data plan from the old iPhone days and no questions asked other than how my service was. Walked in and out in 15 minutes with the N5 on LTE. Initial speedtests in the parking lot there was 24 down and 12 up. I noticed the APNs were still the old N4 APNs with phone and wap. I'm planning on tweaking the APN to see if that does anything.

Long story short, ATT does work on N5 and no need to give up unlimited data.

While the WAP APN is still there for me, I believe most have migrated to the Phone APN. That's what I'm attached to on LTE and got 41MB down, 14MB up yesterday.

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
While the WAP APN is still there for me, I believe most have migrated to the Phone APN. That's what I'm attached to on LTE and got 41MB down, 14MB up yesterday.

I thought that maybe the APN needed to reflect the PTA settings...Guess I'll try both and see which is better. I suppose it doesn't matter since it's "naturally" provisioned by Att now.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. why does the AT&T Rep need to enter my phone's IMIE number in his iPad if i'm just getting a plug and play micro SIM card?
2. is the GoPhone data speeds and coverage and roaming the same exact thing as AT&T post paid?
3. how does Straight Talk and AIO data speeds and coverage and roaming compare?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought that maybe the APN needed to reflect the PTA settings...Guess I'll try both and see which is better. I suppose it doesn't matter since it's "naturally" provisioned by Att now.

New phones from AT&T are now provisioned to use Phone APN now. Looks like PTA APN is a thing of past. It still works but there will be no difference in day to day usage or speed. I have tested both on N5.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
what if i reach 2gb on my 60 dollar gophone? will my internet be cut or will be it slower only?

no throttle. you're cut off from data after using 2GB in your plan month cycle unless you buy the extra 1GB for $10 that month. i have the same plan. i set my Nexus 5 to warn me at 1.5GB of usage (Settings-->Data Usage) so i can buy more data if needed. i only typically use about 1GB/month so i'm not too worried about it. GoPhone data speed and $$$ savings are incredible - along with SIM card freedom and the freedom of no contract.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
1. why does the AT&T Rep need to enter my phone's IMIE number in his iPad if i'm just getting a plug and play micro SIM card?
2. is the GoPhone data speeds and coverage and roaming the same exact thing as AT&T post paid?
3. how does Straight Talk and AIO data speeds and coverage and roaming compare?

1. Its to see all appropriate plans available for your specific phone. More specifically, to get the proper data plan. And even more specifically, to make sure the phone isn't reported stolen
2. GoPhone is AT&T's network solely. Meaning wherever AT&T has towers, that's where you are covered. Speeds are the same as postpaid AFAIK (never did a speed test with a customers phone)
3. If they use our network, I'd imagine it would be the same. I just don't get the throttling thing, or know how that affects service.