Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    What is Google and what is Android?

    What is the difference between pure android and pure google?

    Why are people starting to make distinguish that their is a separation in Android?




    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default Re: "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    I think the safest separation response would be...


    Nexus line provides the Pure Google " Android " experience. Meaning vanilla Android, no carrier bloatware or skins. All drivers, firmware, applications are provided by Google with the exception of any licensed proprietary firmware like in the case of Verizon or Sprint's CDMA/LTE. Updates are sent out directly by Google to the devices. Same time Google authenticated factory images are also made available along with placement within the AOSP source tree so developers or common folks like you and me can build their own Android OS to install on their devices.

    On the other hand we have " Google Edition or Developer Edition " smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One being the most popular. These provide a Google experience but are not authentic Nexus " Google " phones. They are running vanilla Android but may still contain carrier bloat and are still branded under the carrier/OEM's name. Yes they are supposed to be easily " unlocked " bootloaders on with warranty to support it. They are supposed to receive fast updates like the Nexus line BUT I believe the updates come from the carrier/OEM and not straight from Google like the Nexus line so there is still that chance of carrier/OEM intervention to slow the process down.


    This is at least how I view the separation of those two, of course my view maybe different from others.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I think the safest separation response would be...


    Nexus line provides the Pure Google " Android " experience. Meaning vanilla Android, no carrier bloatware or skins. All drivers, firmware, applications are provided by Google with the exception of any licensed proprietary firmware like in the case of Verizon or Sprint's CDMA/LTE.

    On the other hand we have " Google Edition or Developer Edition " smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One being the most popular. These provide a Google experience but are not authentic Nexus " Google " phones. They are running vanilla Android but may still contain carrier bloat and are still branded under the carrier/OEM's name. Yes they are supposed to be easily " unlocked " bootloaders on them with available warranty to do so and are supposed to receive fast updates like the Nexus line BUT I believe the updates come from the carrier/OEM and not straight from Google like the Nexus line so there is still that chance of carrier/OEM intervention to slow the process down.


    This is at least how I view the separation of those two, of course my view maybe different from others.
    Google edition s4's and one's are not carrier phones. they are google phones just like the nexus. they receive updates just as fast as the nexus. not faster but a little behind, a HTC one on ATT is still waiting for 4.3 while the GE one has it already

    Sent from my LG-D801
  4. #4  

    Default Re: "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    Quote Originally Posted by notown775 View Post
    Google edition s4's and one's are not carrier phones. they are google phones just like the nexus. they receive updates just as fast as the nexus. not faster but a little behind, a HTC one on ATT is still waiting for 4.3 while the GE one has it already

    Sent from my LG-D801
    Yes your correct on the carrier portion. I probably should of corrected that part. But they are still an OEM controlled device in some respects. Instead of Google directly handling the software update like a Nexus device it is up to the OEM " HTC/Samsung" to test/update vanilla Android to run on the device.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    Pure Android is AOSP. This was the basis for Android back in the day, and Google just added a few apps for some of their online services, like Gmail, Maps, Talk, and YouTube. Fast forward to today, and the Android on the N5 is very different. Many of the apps from open source Android have been replaced by Google's own closed source, proprietary version:

    music player
    calendar
    keyboard
    camera
    browser
    messaging
    gallery
    launcher
    (there could be more)

    In order to use the proprietary replacement apps and the Play Store, Search, Google Now, etc., which are big draws for the manufacturers, companies like HTC and Samsung need to license these from Google. If a company decides to just use and develop from open source Android, like Amazon and several Chinese manufacturers have, they are basically "dead" to Google. And if another Google-partner manufacturer tries to also sell devices with "non-Google" Android, like Acer did, Google will threaten to cut them off, as well.

    Because Android started off as open source, this is Google's way of controlling their massive stake in the OS and ensure companies continue to use "Google Android" (which they can then skin, turn into Sense or TouchWhiz, or whatever). So as we go forward, Google's Android is becoming much more different from "pure" Android.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    bunique4life05's Avatar

    Posts
    1,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,762 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: "The Nexus 5 is not pure android it's pure google."

    Quote Originally Posted by bunique4life05 View Post
    What is Google and what is Android?

    What is the difference between pure android and pure google?

    Why are people starting to make distinguish that their is a separation in Android?




    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I think the safest separation response would be...


    Nexus line provides the Pure Google " Android " experience. Meaning vanilla Android, no carrier bloatware or skins. All drivers, firmware, applications are provided by Google with the exception of any licensed proprietary firmware like in the case of Verizon or Sprint's CDMA/LTE. Updates are sent out directly by Google to the devices. Same time Google authenticated factory images are also made available along with placement within the AOSP source tree so developers or common folks like you and me can build their own Android OS to install on their devices.

    On the other hand we have " Google Edition or Developer Edition " smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One being the most popular. These provide a Google experience but are not authentic Nexus " Google " phones. They are running vanilla Android but may still contain carrier bloat and are still branded under the carrier/OEM's name. Yes they are supposed to be easily " unlocked " bootloaders on with warranty to support it. They are supposed to receive fast updates like the Nexus line BUT I believe the updates come from the carrier/OEM and not straight from Google like the Nexus line so there is still that chance of carrier/OEM intervention to slow the process down.


    This is at least how I view the separation of those two, of course my view maybe different from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Yes your correct on the carrier portion. I probably should of corrected that part. But they are still an OEM controlled device in some respects. Instead of Google directly handling the software update like a Nexus device it is up to the OEM " HTC/Samsung" to test/update vanilla Android to run on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by notown775 View Post
    Google edition s4's and one's are not carrier phones. they are google phones just like the nexus. they receive updates just as fast as the nexus. not faster but a little behind, a HTC one on ATT is still waiting for 4.3 while the GE one has it already

    Sent from my LG-D801
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Pure Android is AOSP. This was the basis for Android back in the day, and Google just added a few apps for some of their online services, like Gmail, Maps, Talk, and YouTube. Fast forward to today, and the Android on the N5 is very different. Many of the apps from open source Android have been replaced by Google's own closed source, proprietary version:

    music player
    calendar
    keyboard
    camera
    browser
    messaging
    gallery
    launcher
    (there could be more)

    In order to use the proprietary replacement apps and the Play Store, Search, Google Now, etc., which are big draws for the manufacturers, companies like HTC and Samsung need to license these from Google. If a company decides to just use and develop from open source Android, like Amazon and several Chinese manufacturers have, they are basically "dead" to Google. And if another Google-partner manufacturer tries to also sell devices with "non-Google" Android, like Acer did, Google will threaten to cut them off, as well.

    Because Android started off as open source, this is Google's way of controlling their massive stake in the OS and ensure companies continue to use "Google Android" (which they can then skin, turn into Sense or TouchWhiz, or whatever). So as we go forward, Google's Android is becoming much more different from "pure" Android.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/5/50...ts-pure-google

    Sorry I was referring to the article above.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. LightFlow and Nexus 5
    By under999 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM
  3. 2A charger with Nexus 5?
    By vahdyx in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  4. Samsung Galaxy S4 - Still haven't gotten Android 4.3
    By BrandonC in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM
  5. haven't gotten Android 4.3
    By BrandonC in forum Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions