Battery Life

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Today I'm at 11 hours 29 minutes with 1 hour 29 min. of screen time, and 55% battery left. The most I've got is about 3 hours screen time after 14 hours, with 19% left before placing on charger. That's good enough for what I do. I wish they would have put a 3000 mAH battery in the N5 like the G2, but it does the job for me.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
On my nexus 5 I get about 15 to 20 hours. Just as much as my gs4. And because its new I use it more so when I'm done it will last longer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
all i know is that i'm coming from the Gnex with an extended battery, and with that device and my normal usage i had to charge it around 3pm. the N5 with the exact same usage is easily getting me through the entire day. ive had it 2 days now and its going on the charger at bedtime with still around 25% juice. for me thats FANTASTIC...

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
all i know is that i'm coming from the Gnex with an extended battery, and with that device and my normal usage i had to charge it around 3pm. the N5 with the exact same usage is easily getting me through the entire day. ive had it 2 days now and its going on the charger at bedtime with still around 25% juice. for me thats FANTASTIC...

Thank you so much. All I need to know.

Hate the Gnex battery...

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
lithium batteries like to stay topped off. i leave my phones charging all the time - never any problem and i keep my phones for 1.5+ years.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Lol, stop reading Gizmodo ' s dramatic fake expert article, and go to battery University and read the data and more matter of the fact analysis instead.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Higher voltage is not good for battery, every 0.1 volt drop extend the battery circle significantly (almost double). Some manufacturers even give you option to set 100% at 4.1, or 4.0 v to prolong the battery life.

But topping it at 4.2v, you are forcing battery to stay at high voltage for prolonged period of time. It is not gonna be good for it.

@T-Mobile GN3

GearJ2o

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Day 2: I was disappointed with the battery life today. It was fine on the first day, but today, I was using the GPS and the google map to go to somewhere at 3pm and the drive took about 2 hours. By the time I was done with the dinner party and after a couple of snaps, the battery died on me.

Got another party this saturday so I'm going to try to fully charge it before going to the party and see how I feel.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has been decent. It actually was about the same as my iPhone 5 and just a little worse than my Note 3. As long as I can get through a work day I'm fine and this phone easily does that. I'm at about 50 percent when I get home. But I will day this, I don't use my Nexus 5 during the day nearly as much as I did my Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol, stop reading Gizmodo ' s dramatic fake expert article, and go to battery University and read the data and more matter of the fact analysis instead.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Higher voltage is not good for battery, every 0.1 volt drop extend the battery circle significantly (almost double). Some manufacturers even give you option to set 100% at 4.1, or 4.0 v to prolong the battery life.

But topping it at 4.2v, you are forcing battery to stay at high voltage for prolonged period of time. It is not gonna be good for it.

@T-Mobile GN3

in my experience, modern lithium battery technology is pretty durable and not very fragile and fickle. we don't need to over think this. just charge your battery every night and forget about it.

Den72

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Look this thing will get you 2 or 3 hours of screen time if you actually use the thing. ie, make phone calls, text, watch videos, etc... If all you do is look at facebook or twitter you will get more time. Most people getting huge screen times don't use their phone.

This thing gets me the same time on as the iPhone 5 I had, which isn't great. I have to have the ability to charge it near the middle to late afternoon time. Thinking of getting a couple wireless chargers, one for home and office I can just place it on while I am working at my desk.

You will need a charger, the phone overall is solid though and I can live with the bad (not so great) battery life.

The Nexus 5 can do 7.5 hours video before the battery dies. Much more than the 2 or 3 hours you are suggesting.

I think the people who are having problems are the ones using LTE. I only use 3G and get great battery life.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 can do 7.5 hours video before the battery dies. Much more than the 2 or 3 hours you are suggesting.

I think the people who are having problems are the ones using LTE. I only use 3G and get great battery life.

i think as long as you are in an area with decent LTE coverage - the extra battery hit is not that bad (unlike with Sprint's old Wimax which really burend the battery quickly). i have also read that GSM uses a lot less battery than does CDMA. so far my experience with AT&T vs. Sprint seems to prove that - but it's hard to tell as there are so many variables. i used to turn off LTE - no i just leave it on because it is pretty efficient.

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is good for my needs. Only thing I have noticed and not sure if anyone else has, using the camera just drains the battery like nothing else. I imagine this could easily be a software fix.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is good for my needs. Only thing I have noticed and not sure if anyone else has, using the camera just drains the battery like nothing else. I imagine this could easily be a software fix.

my Sprint G-Nex did the same thing. even without the flash.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to get a read on the battery life - you want to run a few cycles to break it in - but this may be the worst battery life I've ever had. I work in buildings with terrible to non-existent cell coverage (Straight Talk AT&T), BUT they have site-wide wifi that I'm on. With my Nexus 4 running faux123's kernel, I could go 9 hours at work with 1.5-2 hours screen on time and have 40-45% left. Today I took my Nexus 5 off the charger, drove to work and then worked inside for 4 hours and I was down to 54%. Put it on the charger and an hour later it's at 100%, but the bleed rate is worrisome and because KitKat blocks apps like GSam and Better Battery Stats, it's hard to see what's killing the battery. I've got System Panel monitoring things and I can see that in the building, battery drain is over 12%/hr so this isn't good. I'm holding off on rooting and using faux's kernel because I think stock should be given a shot to establish a baseline, but come on now.

EDIT: I found this and am trying it out: Five settings that increase battery life on Android 4.4 KitKat.

Last edited:

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery related problem so i guess i'll post here.
Had this phone for less than a week and it doesn't seem so good to me.
Can't get a screenshot up ATM but i'm at 3h and 45 mins on battery and it's at 75%
Top usages are: Screen35% 27 mins screen on time :(
Cell standby 28% 51% of time without signal.
Google play services 10%
There are also a bunch of things waking my phone even though the screen isn't on.
does anyone have any idea what could be draining my battery so much? i have no known battery suckers installed.
could Google Play Services be the culprit besides No Signal? I know the phone can waste battery when it is constantly searching for service.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Battery related problem so i guess i'll post here.
Had this phone for less than a week and it doesn't seem so good to me.
Can't get a screenshot up ATM but i'm at 3h and 45 mins on battery and it's at 75%
Top usages are: Screen35% 27 mins screen on time :(
Cell standby 28% 51% of time without signal.
Google play services 10%
There are also a bunch of things waking my phone even though the screen isn't on.
does anyone have any idea what could be draining my battery so much? i have no known battery suckers installed.
could Google Play Services be the culprit besides No Signal? I know the phone can waste battery when it is constantly searching for service.

The searching for signal part is your main culprit. The antenna's take a significant amount of power and CPU time when they are constantly trying to acquire and hold onto signal. The weaker your signal the more power they draw trying to do anything with the signal.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The searching for signal part is your main culprit. The antenna's take a significant amount of power and CPU time when they are constantly trying to acquire and hold onto signal. The weaker your signal the more power they draw trying to do anything with the signal.
Figured. Can't do nothing about that since the building i work in has low cellular signal and WiFi that i can't connect to...
Any ideas besides turning on airplane mode or moving out of the building :p
there are days where Cell standby isn't even the top battery draining process.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Unscientifically, the battery sucks. According to the battery monitor Exchanges Services are the main culprit. I've never seen that on ANY of my other Android devices. Seems to me the radios are weak. I am seeing HSPA in areas where my One and S4 see only LTE and I am in an AT&T area with excellent LTE coverage. The wifi is also weak. I hope a fix is in the works.

cubsfan61

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with battery life so far. Yesterday took the phone off AC at 7:30 am and at 11:00pm I had 42 percent battery left. Admittedly it was a light day, as I had several meetings. Today I used it more, quite a bit of SMS, reading some email, Feedly, playing Dots. Again, off AC around 7:30 and right now at 5:00pm, I'm at 70%. I am running Juice Defender on the balanced profile, so that might be making a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol