132 46.48%
  • Case

152 53.52%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Naked or Case?

And why?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-29-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: Naked of Case?

I hate the idea of getting an ultra thin phone and then bulking it up with a case. I've gone naked with my galaxy nexus, s4 and now the nexus 5. So far I've been able to keep them pretty much scratch free though it's still the early days with the 5.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

For me, both. I normally take it out of the case if I'm going to be at home for a while.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    And why?
    Because I bought the Nexus 5 without my boyfriend knowing. He thinks smartphones are stupid and a waste of money, and it would start an argument if he found out I got it.

Fortunately, all phones look about the same to him. And the Nexus 4 and 5 look very similar from the front. So I got a case so he would not know I bought a new phone.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I got the Spigen Neo-Hybrid to provide some protection as I often have the phone lying around the office and in my pocket (sometimes with other misc. items). I feel a little more at ease knowing the device as some level of protection as opposed to none at all.

Using Spigen Neo-Hyrbid for now (still waiting on Ultra hybrid). I would very much prefer to never have this in a case as I love the naked feel, but I do not trust myself to not do something stupid and drop it. Seems to always happen when I choose not to use a case.
    Lisa Driscoll likes this.

Just ordered a case. Why? Because I like having nice things. I want my phone to look brand new 3 years from now. Also, I can get maximum $$$ for it. When I sell my iPhone later this month I'll be getting top dollar vs significantly less had it looked used and abused.
    alhc78 and Choorp like this.

Naked all the way! i have never used a case. I could care less about resell value, I never sell my phones. They end up in the old phone drawer. Good bye old friend (Galaxy Nexus) Hello Nexus 5! If they did not put nexus 5 on the screen protector i would have left it on, that was the best screen protector I have seen on a phone in a long time.

What a ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Because I bought the Nexus 5 without my boyfriend knowing. He thinks smartphones are stupid and a waste of money, and it would start an argument if he found out I got it.

Fortunately, all phones look about the same to him. And the Nexus 4 and 5 look very similar from the front. So I got a case so he would not know I bought a new phone.
    Problem solved, problem staying solved!

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor 46 View Post
    What a ****!
    Him or me? LOL

Him of course! Why the technology hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Him or me? LOL
    Problem solved, problem staying solved!

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor 46 View Post
    Him of course! Why the technology hate?
    Just that type of guy. He gets confused by computers easily and it ticks him off. I got a case to avoid a fight...normally I would not use a case, and I don't think the nexus 5 really needs one.

The only reason my Nexus 4 broke was because the glass back. A call came in and it vibrated and slid off a FLAT surface, cracking the display. I don't expect that problem with the Nexus 5 and the plastic back.

Case, because I want something to protect the tempered glass SP I plan on using to protect the screen.

Normally I hate cases because of the added bulk and the feel they have when depressing the buttons they cover. Just got Amazon.com: [Non-Slip] SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black: Cell Phones & Accessories in and, while it doesn't offer a whole lot of protection to the phone, it adds virtually no bulk to the phone, exposes the keys rather than covering them, and should do well to protect the edge of the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    Case, because I want something to protect the tempered glass SP I plan on using to protect the screen.

Normally I hate cases because of the added bulk and the feel they have when depressing the buttons they cover. Just got Amazon.com: [Non-Slip] SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black: Cell Phones & Accessories in and, while it doesn't offer a whole lot of protection to the phone, it adds virtually no bulk to the phone, exposes the keys rather than covering them, and should do well to protect the edge of the SP.
    That looks like a nice case, especially the clear shell since I have a white Nexus. I wanted the Ultra Hybrid for that reason, but some initial reviews put me off. I ordered the Diztronic Matte Black TPU case that is mentioned in the Accessories section and should be receiving it soon. I've had my phone since Tuesday so I was using it sans-case. There is a wholesale mobile accessories warehouse near me that just received a simple TPU soft case so I picked one up in the mean time (.) Admittedly, I love these simple flexible TPU cases, but I'm willing to try out a hard plastic case provided that it is really slim to avoid unnecessary bulk to an already slim device.

I think if it weren't for the white back side getting dirty, I'd rock it naked. But luckily these clear option cases are available to showcase the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by DefinedByClass13 View Post
    I'm willing to try out a hard plastic case provided that it is really slim to avoid unnecessary bulk to an already slim device.
    It is. Really slim.

Because I had a friend's kid drop my old smart phone and break it before. This Nexus 5 cost $399. I am using a Spigen Nexus 5 Slim Armor Air Cushioned Protective. That adds 1.5mm on face and 2.0 mm on the back side for thickness. That 3.5mm is nothing in thickness and it doesn't add much weight. It is better for re-sale value and I think it even looks nice.

Last edited by Shilohcane; 11-07-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gene1138 View Post
    I hate the idea of getting an ultra thin phone and then bulking it up with a case. I've gone naked with my galaxy nexus, s4 and now the nexus 5. So far I've been able to keep them pretty much scratch free though it's still the early days with the 5.
    I agree

Naked because this phone isn't fragile. I like the thinness also.

I will be buying the official Google bumper in bright yellow if they ever release it. Just because it is so LOUD.

And why?
    This Drop Test is a pretty good Reason to put it in a case.

Lisa Driscoll likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    This Drop Test is a pretty good Reason to put it in a case.
    Or don't drop it? ;-) just sayin'

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Robbie317 and Shilohcane like this.

Or just don't drop it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    It is. Really slim.
    Bummer that they don't have the crystal shell variant of the Ultra Fit for sale on their ebay page. I guess I'll get it from Amazon.

Global Posts
    4,261 Global Posts

as as we know EVERYONE that chooses to not put any sort of protection on their phones NEVER drop their phones.
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I never drop my phones but I get a case anyways. I have the spigen ultra-hybrid and it's perfect. Covers the top, bottom, and corners and it has a clear back while still protecting it completely. Literally a perfect case. I just bought my mother the same one for her new 5s because it was so nice and perfect and it fit amazingly.

Defintiely recommend that case if you are looking for one.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Why?...
    I need it to be thicker to grip it better. I ordered a thin black/grey cruzerlite case to support the site. Also protection from moisture, light rain, dropping. My phones wouldn't last a month without some type of protection. With a case, I had an iphone 4 survive both a fall from a 2 story roof...and a Motorcycle crash that nearly killed me.(Collapsed lung, all the ribs on my left side broken) The case and the belt clip saved the phone a Kindly fireman handed me the phone while I sat recovering...and I was with bit of breathing trouble able to call work and tell them I couldn't be in...For 2 month's. Case all the way for me. I like to get the thin kind though. I don't care for the Otterboxes or bulky ones.I find time and time again the thin ones protect very well.

I also carry my phone on a belt clip and the cruzerlite and N5 still fits the belt clip that came with my GN case(Also from this site) The clip also provides more protection and has a kickstand which I have never used...
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast