Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jdane07
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

Default Coming from a geek... VERY impressed

Well it took a week for mine to get here, which was just enough time for my anticipation to literally boil over. Having read, watched, and consumed every last bit of Nexus news and reviews the last 7 days, I am extremely impressed with this device.

First, background...I am a phone geek. I buy a lot of phones.
    Currently have my white Moto X sitting in my desk. Before that I had a G2 for a month or so. Then a Nexus 4 and HTC One, a brief stint with an iPhone 5s, Z10, GS3...yadadada.

Here's just some random thoughts in no particular order:

- Screen is great. Don't let the whole "washed-out" thing hold you back. It is bright, vivid, and beautiful. Sure, the G2 might have been a little better, but you'd never know it using the Nexus for more than 10 minutes.

- I'm a snob when it comes to the build of a phone. I returned the 5s because of a rattling sleep/wake button. I LOVE the build of the N5. It's light, feels good in the hand, and I was lucky to get a black model with no button issues/rattles.

- Battery is an issue for some, but it seems pretty good to me. Obviously haven't had enough time to truly get a feel, but it came about 60% charged, and used it till 15% remaining. I had about 5 hours of use, and 2.5 hours of screen-on time (pics at bottom). Keep in mind this was also happening during my entire set up phase, which is pretty lengthy and battery heavy.

- Camera certainly is manageable and can take some damn good shots. The app itself is what's holding it back though...

- Speaker is just about average. Not as loud or clear and my Moto X or One, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

- The phone has very nice haptic feedback. It's not harsh like the Moto X, and not too soft like the One... Just right.

- 4.4 KitKat is worth the price here alone. It is a fantastic upgrade, and truly shows a new level of polish that has previously been lacking from Android. LOVE IT.

So in conclusion. Get off the fence if you are questioning getting this device or not. It is phenomenal. $350 for this is an unbelievable deal.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 3:
    artlu629 likes this.

Default Re: Coming from a geek... VERY impressed

Mine is coming tomorrow. Getting more and more anxious.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,570 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Nice to see a review that doesn't make it out to be the worst possible phone Google could have made for $350
    Haha, great review

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Well it took a week for mine to get here, which was just enough time for my anticipation to literally boil over. Having read, watched, and consumed every last bit of Nexus news and reviews the last 7 days, I am extremely impressed with this device.

First, background...I am a phone geek. I buy a lot of phones.
    Currently have my white Moto X sitting in my desk. Before that I had a G2 for a month or so. Then a Nexus 4 and HTC One, a brief stint with an iPhone 5s, Z10, GS3...yadadada.

Here's just some random thoughts in no particular order:

- Screen is great. Don't let the whole "washed-out" thing hold you back. It is bright, vivid, and beautiful. Sure, the G2 might have been a little better, but you'd never know it using the Nexus for more than 10 minutes.

- I'm a snob when it comes to the build of a phone. I returned the 5s because of a rattling sleep/wake button. I LOVE the build of the N5. It's light, feels good in the hand, and I was lucky to get a black model with no button issues/rattles.

- Battery is an issue for some, but it seems pretty good to me. Obviously haven't had enough time to truly get a feel, but it came about 60% charged, and used it till 15% remaining. I had about 5 hours of use, and 2.5 hours of screen-on time (pics at bottom). Keep in mind this was also happening during my entire set up phase, which is pretty lengthy and battery heavy.

- Camera certainly is manageable and can take some damn good shots. The app itself is what's holding it back though...

- Speaker is just about average. Not as loud or clear and my Moto X or One, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

- The phone has very nice haptic feedback. It's not harsh like the Moto X, and not too soft like the One... Just right.

- 4.4 KitKat is worth the price here alone. It is a fantastic upgrade, and truly shows a new level of polish that has previously been lacking from Android. LOVE IT.

So in conclusion. Get off the fence if you are questioning getting this device or not. It is phenomenal. $350 for this is an unbelievable deal.

This. All of this. Like you, I have a huge love affair with phones. Everything about this phone has impressed the hell out of me. Even battery life has been pretty good for me as well. I was thinking about picking up either a Moto X or HTC One as well, but not so sure after using this for a few days. I tend to go through phones very quickly, but I could see myself sticking with this one for a good amount of time.

Current Devices: HTC One M8, Nexus 5, Note 3, 2013 Nexus 7
    Retired Devices: Moto X, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Eris

Android Addict

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Thanks for this. My N5 is suppose to be here tomorrow and all the negativity I've been reading in the forums has really been putting a damper on the whole experience. I needed to hear from someone who actually LIKES the phone :-)

I play with my food