My Nexus 5 was stolen by UPS

corgi1

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Ordered a Nexus 5 on Oct 31st and tracking showed it was out for delivery yesterday. Could not wait to get it! At 6:15 pm there was a knock on the door and when I opened the door I saw the UPS driver walking back to his truck. I picked up the package and called "thank you" to the driver. Once inside I opened the brown shipping box and removed the inside retail Nexus 5 box. The retail box appeared to have some damage. The blue outer sleeve was torn back on one end and the end flaps of the inner white box were also torn. Inside the box was the documentation, wall charger, USB cord, and SIM removal tool, but the Nexus 5 phone was missing! I looked back at the brown outer shipping box and then could see that someone had torn the end flap on it as well. Once they had removed the Nexus 5 phone they used packing tape to seal the shipping box and that is how it was delivered to me.

The worst part is that since I could see by the tracking info that the package was out for delivery, I went ahead and listed my current phone on eBay with a buy it now price. I figured it would take a few days to sell, but no, it sold within a few hours. So now I must send off my current phone to the buyer who has already paid me and I have no new phone. Called Google and was told that they would open an investigation and would refund the full amount of my order, but that I would have to place a new order on the Play store if I wanted to replace the stolen Nexus 5. Of course the Play store is now out of stock and new orders are having to wait 3-4 weeks for it to ship.

DSC02004.jpg
DSC02002.jpg
DSC02001.jpg
DSC01997.jpg

Last edited:

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
That sucks. At least you are being made whole by Google. I had a similar thing happen to me once with DHL a few years ago. No fun and a huge pain in the ***.

Do you know your UPS driver? Same guy has been delivering my stuff for years.

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That Suck!, this always happens to a few people, because people are jerks. I would think google would try to rush you one? Postal gods have mercy on my PS4

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thats terrible, im really sorry to hear that happened to you, and sadly its not google`s fault, i hope this guy who did this not only gets fired, i hope he is also reported to the police and charged with theft, what a scummer

DroBoy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
UPS just knocked on the door and were walking back to the truck before I got to the door. No Signature and I even said thanks to the driver walking back to the truck.

Already suspect on the UPS driver, because any electronic item I ever bought for $100 plus I always had to sign for Fedex, USPS or UPS. Sorry to hear this suck you have to wait longer now. Should file a complaint with UPS and ask to be compensated

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Already suspect on the UPS driver, because any electronic item I ever bought for $100 plus I always had to sign for Fedex, USPS or UPS. Sorry to hear this suck you have to wait longer now. Should file a complaint with UPS and ask to be compensated

Mine was the same as the op, I was in the kitchen cooking when I heard ,"the knock" I went straight for the door and the ups guy was already out of site and my phone was tucked up against the wall. No signature required

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

corgi1

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Didn't it require a signature? I had to sign for mine.
No did not require a signature, but in this case it would not have made a difference. I was home when it was delivered, I even told the driver "thanks" as he was walking back to the truck. Don't think it was the driver that took the phone, but it could be, no way to know for sure. My guess is that someone at one of the multiple sorting stations it passed through from Kentucky to California took it and taped the end and sent it on its way to me. After reporting it to Google, I received an email asking for consent for Google to disable the phone that has the IMEI/Serial # of what was shipped to me. So whoever got it may just have a brick now.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
that stinks man. Definitely been without a phone before. I just use a go phone from AT&T on Amazon for like $20 in the meantime.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
OP - that's terrible news

Happasaiyan - nice touch not over-charging! Hopefully OP buys through you. Good karma vibes and hipster cats your way

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
second time i have heard about this. other one was from REDDIT. some guy "got his package" while he was at work, once home package was nowhere to be found. file complaint with UPS and google, couple days later the package showed up at his doorstep, clearly tinkered with (both brown delivery and original box) with no tape on brown box, and sticky tabs removed and replaced on original box. phone was there. he said that UPS probably questioned the driver and replaced everything and delivered it. who knows though.

he also said that the play store said it was 3-4 weeks for shipping, but he ordered a new one anyway and it shipped the next day....so just try it i guess.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have asked for signing but it's been unreliable. This time the fool left it outside my door when I wasn't here. Usually they don't come until past 12pm and I thought it would be OK because I'd be home by then. Instead he came by 10am and I saw it when I came back and I'm extremely lucky it wasn't taken. Many of my packages have been taken here and the last place I lived.

I never received the case I ordered for my f7 from FedEx either, in September. But UPS are the most problematic carrier in my experience.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2