Just...WOW...massive speed increase using ART cache

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Google's apps are definitely snappier in ART. Other apps have a faster start time, but operations-wise, I'm not sure since the Nexus 5 is an incredibly fast device as is. But it also makes Vonage crash, as well as another VoIP app I have.

All in all, I'm going to keep this for a while at least.

Posted via Android Central App

I wouldn't expect there to be any change in app performance once the app is loaded. As I understand this issue the only difference between these two methods is when the app is compiled. To date the way Android worked was the app was compiled just in time as the app opened. With this new method, the apps are precompiled so that it is not necessary to compile it at startup. Once the app is open, I don't see how there would be any change in speed.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Check out Android Central talking about ART and Dalvik that starts at the 28:45 Mark...

Jerry thinks all people are seeing is cached performance after ART cleared out the old cache that will slow down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PynXwBy4dBo#t=1770

This could very well be! Art is not ready for prime time, but it is nice to run. My notifications are broke on some apps with art.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dandorato

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
So in your opinion for a user how is not an Android power user but is an advanced user they should or shouldnt stay away from ART.

It seems to make my N5 run faster and I'm hearing rumors of big battery savings.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with Dalvik at this point unless the Battery is better under ART. ART is the future when the bugs are gone and it is optimized for speed since it "Ahead Of Time (AOT)" is better than "Just In Time (JIT)".

Android 4.4 Kit-Kat Runtime Comparison - Dalvik VS ART (Web Browsing Peformance)
The ART phone actually seemed faster at the end.

Again, my evidence is anecdotal, but browser performance for me was better under ART. I use Firefox as my primary though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It'll be interesting what kind of impact this will have on the battery. Better, worse? People predict better, but has there been any conclusive?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for Whatsapp to be updated so that it doesn't crash anymore on ART. I used ART the first day or so and had no issues other than Whatsapp.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a thread or should there be that we can note specific downsides to switching to ART? Broken apps, crashes, etc?

There is already a thread for apps. I have not heard of anyone crashing...one guy said his phone would no longer charge after converting to ART.

I'm waiting for Whatsapp to be updated so that it doesn't crash anymore on ART. I used ART the first day or so and had no issues other than Whatsapp.
I did not even get to the point where it would crash...it would not even install. The installer errored out after download.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I switched to ART yesterday. I don't have any way to know if the apps are running faster and of course I don't have any performance tools, but what I see visually is that it is the operating system that is performing its tasks a bit faster.

Maybe placebo.... But maybe.....

Posted via Android Central App

Adam Tentis

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 battery life has been crap to the point I almost turned it in for a moto x. Phone was usually dead by 6 pm. I switched it to ART based on a recommendation by a person on phandroid and holy crap what a difference. I think I am seeing a 40 percent increase in battery life.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I didnt think this phone could possibly get faster. ART is awesome. Storing native code is a no brainer for performance and battery life. Doing JIT compilation all the time is a waste of resources. Google maps on my N5 is now faster than on my 3ghz core i7 PC.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
You should not be using ART unless you are completely stock IMO.

This should be repeated.

Once you start going custom you get into an area where bootloops can occur more often than not. I am currently using it as for me, its too early in the game to look at custom roms etc.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This should be repeated.

Once you start going custom you get into an area where bootloops can occur more often than not. I am currently using it as for me, its too early in the game to look at custom roms etc.
Exactly. A bit early for custom ROMs. Though like many others, this might be the first time I stick to the stock ROM and make a few mods just through being rooted. Even then many of those mods may not be ART compatible at least at first. Exciting times for android.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Just switched over and it's smoking fast. This may have been mentioned somewhere in a previous post here, but Titanium Backup fc's whenever launched on ART. I can live with that for now, but I wonder how long before some of the app devs start making changes to accommodate this runtime?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just switched over and it's smoking fast. This may have been mentioned somewhere in a previous post here, but Titanium Backup fc's whenever launched on ART. I can live with that for now, but I wonder how long before some of the app devs start making changes to accommodate this runtime?
Eventually they all will. This is a beta, not an experiment. This is the future of all Android.

It has to do with licensing issues with oracle, not just speed improvements. So it is going to happen. Just a matter of when.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non