Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Just...WOW...massive speed increase using ART cache

I switched from Dalvik to ART cache...holy crap. Apps start way faster now. They seem to work faster too...switching between pictures in the gallery is smoother and faster than before.

To enable it, activate developer mode by goting to Settings then "About Phone" and tapping on the build number really fast until it tells you developer mode is enabled (at least 7 taps...it will remember this when you reboot too, so you only have to do it once). Go to "Developer options" that now appears in the Settings menu. Click on "select runtime" and choose ART. You can swap back later if you want.

It will re-start and will re-compile your apps or something. Took about 15 minutes for me.

I am a pretty advanced user but not an expert...does anyone know if there are downsides to using ART right now?

Default Re: Just...WOW...massive speed increase using ART cache

no thanks. i'm sure the Gremlins will appear soon. but thanks for being our guinea pig. please report back later. enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I switched from Dalvik to ART cache...holy crap. Apps start way faster now. They seem to work faster too...switching between pictures in the gallery is smoother and faster than before.

To enable it, activate developer mode by goting to Settings then "About Phone" and tapping on the build number really fast until it tells you developer mode is enabled (at least 7 taps...it will remember this when you reboot too, so you only have to do it once). Go to "Developer options" that now appears in the Settings menu. Click on "select runtime" and choose ART. You can swap back later if you want.

It will re-start and will re-compile your apps or something. Took about 15 minutes for me.

I am a pretty advanced user but not an expert...does anyone know if there are downsides to using ART right now?
    CNET just did an article on this but since it's CNET, it's not very informative
    Google tests ART foundation in KitKat for faster Android apps | Mobile - CNET News

After reading this article you may have something I will try.

Google debuts ART in KitKat, aims to change Android
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Also don't try this on other AOSP builds right now as it makes the OS crash and become unusable.

Google debuts ART in KitKat, aims to change Android - GSMArena.com news
    So a word of warning to non-Nexus people.

Does not look like there are any side effects other than apps taking longer to install and taking up slightly more space.

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

I'm giving it a shot right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no thanks. i'm sure the Gremlins will appear soon. but thanks for being our guinea pig. please report back later. enjoy.
    Why not try it.... Seems to be something beta Google will eventually make a full time option... I'll try and let you know how it goes.....
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Google maps satellite view is working MUCH faster. Tiles populate very quickly.

Does not look like there are any side effects other than apps taking longer to install and taking up slightly more space.
    I wouldn't make that statement since it is in BETA for a reason. Dalvik runs Java like App code with the JIT emulator that each time you use the App it converts the higher level Java Source code into the native CPU code for the specific processor (SnapDragon 800) that is actually in your phone to executes. Sure ART method of compiling every App to execute in native mode on your SnapDragon 800 is much faster when you are starting up Apps. However what happens when these Apps on your phone get updated with new downloads that is expecting the App to still be using the JIT method is what I want to know first. I'm not worried about converting all Apps to native code. I'm just worried what happens when you get a update from Android OS or the Apps are upgraded with patch updates.

here is an article from AP. part 2 with detailed explanation is coming
    Meet ART, Part 1: The New Super-Fast Android Runtime Google Has Been Working On In Secret For Over 2 Years Debuts In KitKat
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I wouldn't make that statement since it is in BETA for a reason. Dalvik runs Java like App code with the JIT emulator that each time you use the App it converts the higher level Java Source code into the native CPU code for the specific processor (SnapDragon 800) that is actually in your phone to executes. Sure ART method of compiling every App to execute in native mode on your SnapDragon 800 is much faster when you are starting up Apps. However what happens when these Apps on your phone get updated with new downloads that is expecting the App to still be using the JIT method is what I want to know first. I not worried about converting all Apps to native code I'm just worried what happens when you get a update from Android OS or the Apps are upgraded trying to patch updates.
    read the article i posted above. whenever an app is downloaded or updated it convert to machine code when installing, hence longer time to install
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

I wouldn't make that statement since it is in BETA for a reason. Dalvik runs Java like App code with the JIT emulator that each time you use the App it converts the higher level Java Source code into the native CPU code for the specific processor (SnapDragon 800) that is actually in your phone to executes. Sure ART method of compiling every App to execute in native mode on your SnapDragon 800 is much faster when you are starting up Apps. However what happens when these Apps on your phone get updated with new downloads that is expecting the App to still be using the JIT method is what I want to know first. I not worried about converting all Apps to native code I'm just worried what happens when you get a update from Android OS or the Apps are upgraded trying to patch updates.
    Is JIT the same thing as Dalvik? Is it a component of Dalvik, or something separate?

I just updated Shazam, Beautiful Widgets, and Google maps. They appear to be working normally still. No issues with updates on them.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    read the article i posted above. whenever an app is downloaded or updated it convert to machine code when installing, hence longer time to install
    Still1 I am am big fan of yours on this board and you know a 1000 times more than I do. I am just a old mini computer programers that has seen a lot of patch code tricks but know little about Android's OS. It was a surprise to me they were still using emulators methods like JIT that converts to native code every time I start up a App. I want to turn on ART but Hangout kicked my ****. So I am on the sideline till I see how ART works for the masses.

I started up a thread in the Kit Kat OS forum that is a better place for this thread since if we keep posting here there is going to have a lot of people trying this that aren't ready for this advanced BETA stuff. Please post your article on the Kit Kat forum since I really do want to see people that know what they are doing in the Android world review this.

Is JIT the same thing as Dalvik? Is it a component of Dalvik, or something separate?

I just updated Shazam, Beautiful Widgets, and Google maps. They appear to be working normally still. No issues with updates on them.
    JIT is part of Dalvik(the virtual machine). JIT analyse and translate the code to machine code to run on Dalvik.
    so every time a code is executed in apps JIT will translate it and the output will be run on Dalvik

now with ART, JIT is taking a different form. instead of running on phone when needed ART will precompile to machine code when installed.
    so now after app installation on ART, JIT is no longer needed.

so to answer what Shilohcane was asking. when you convert from dalvik to ART, it will convert all code to machine code when it reboots

so when an app is installed/update ART will convert to machine code at that time
    Thanked by:
    qnet 
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    JIT is part of Dalvik(the virtual machine). JIT analyse and translate the code to machine code to run on Dalvik.
    so every time a code is executed in apps JIT will translate it and the output will be run on Dalvik

now with ART, JIT is taking a different form. instead of running on phone when needed ART will precompile to machine code when installed.
    so now after app installation on ART, JIT is no longer needed.

so to answer what Shilohcane was asking. when you convert from dalvik to ART, it will convert all code to machine code when it reboots

so when an app is installed/update ART will convert to machine code at that time
    Ah...ok. I think I get it now. JIT is being applied at install instead of when you launch the app.

Just tried Google Earth...totally different experience now. It is not just that apps start quicker...some of them run faster too even after they start. Titles in Maps and detail in Google Earth are definitely loading faster.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Still1 I am am big fan of yours on this board and you know a 1000 times more than I do. I am just a old mini computer programers that has seen a lot of patch code tricks but know little about Android's OS. It was a surprise to me they were still using emulators methods like JIT that converts to native code every time I start up a App. I want to turn on ART but Hangout kicked my ****. So I am on the sideline till I see how ART works for the masses.
    I assume it will let you convert back too. I am still seeing the Dalvik setting in developer options.

Still1 do you see a problem if someone backs up their Apps that are running ART with Titanium Backup and then reloads that backup to another Android phone that may not have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor?
    msndrstood likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM

Still1 do you see a problem is someone backs up their Apps that are running ART with Titanium Backup and then reloads that backup to another Android phone that may not have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor?
    Thats a good point.
    Thanked by:

Ah...ok. I think I get it now. JIT is being applied at install instead of when you launch the app.

Just tried Google Earth...totally different experience now. It is not just that apps start quicker...some of them run faster too even after they start. Titles in Maps and detail in Google Earth are definitely loading faster.
    exactly but in Dalvik, JIT is not only called at start up. it will run whenever needed(when code is executed) when u r using the app.

for example when u delete an email in gmail if a code is executed then JIT is called, then u do an archive JIT is called again.

with ART JIT is no longer used after the installation. thats why u r seeing faster responses at startup and when using the app(Google earth in your case).

- - - Updated - - -

Still1 do you see a problem is someone backs up their Apps that are running ART with Titanium Backup and then reloads that backup to another Android phone that may not have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor?
    Thats a good point.
    that's def a good point. will check it out later but my assumption is art backup can be run on JIT but the other way might have problems

I read at XDA that titanium doesnt work with ART turned on.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendroid1 View Post
    I read at XDA that titanium doesnt work with ART turned on.
    Does not surprise me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will try this. The only thing I maybe concerned about is the extra storage spacethat could be taken up. For small apps, no big deal but for some of the larger could make a difference on a device with less than 16GB usable space. But hey, for better performance, could be worth it.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

I assume it will let you convert back too. I am still seeing the Dalvik setting in developer options.
    I understood Dalvik to ART since I have worked on both Emulators and Compilers and know why ART will be faster. ART is still in Beta and I want to know about all the possible side effects first. With the ART speed advantages that brings great power it must have some issues since ART didn't become the Kit Kat default.

I understood Dalvik to ART since I have worked on both Emulators and Compilers and know why ART will be faster. ART is still in Beta and I want to know about all the possible side effects first. With the ART speed advantages that brings great power it must have some issues since ART didn't become the Kit Kat default.
    Google tends to run stuff as better for a loooooooong time. Navigation is technically still in beta. Also on the other hand, Google sometimes removes the beta tag when something is still a beta product..... google tv as an example lol. Very hard to interpret beta from Google.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

This is a interesting Article.

Android 4.4 KitKat offers ART as alternative runtime to Dalvik

Google and Oracle have been tied up in a fight for a while over how Java works in the Android operating system. In 2012, Oracle specifically targeted the Dalvik virtual machine that runs on Android devices in its legal assault against Google, though Google eventually prevailed in that case. Google has been working toward replacing Dalvik in secret and users running Android 4.4 will be able to use Google’s new alternative.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast