Nexus 5 microphone issue?

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Phone Calls using earpiece (Microphone and Speaker) problem

Thanks so much everyone for the prompt responses. I did some testing with and without the case. The sound was consistently bad. I understand that the microphone is located on the bottom right side of the phone and the speaker is located on the bottom left (looking from bottom to top).

If I move closer to the microphone it improves somewhat. Funnily, if I move my finger on to cover the noise cancellation microphone (at the top middle), the voice goes louder through. However there is background noise. I tested calling my voicemail. So is there a issue with the noise cancellation decreasing the volume?

Also the speaker is not that good. Listening to the phone with the earpiece i have to put it on max volume to even hear anything. This is disappointing.

1) I understand that other people also have similar problems? So maybe this is a defect that is consistently found in Nexus 5 phones? Will a RMA to google help? Maybe I will get another phone with similar issues.

2) Headset has been recommended here to mitigate this. Can someone recommend something other than Apple? I just need something that works as a good Mic (preferably black in color). For music, I have several in ear earbuds from Sennheiser, Klipsh, Bose and the like.

Thanks again. Hoping this gets resolved. I really like this phone, but the volume issue during normal calls is annoying.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

yes i think this is a widespread problem. i just got another call this morning and the caller said that i sounded "muffled". i wonder if this affects ALL Nexus 5 phones but only some of us have realized it because the vast majority of you guys out there don't talk much on the phone???

can everyone please do some testing and report back???

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

yes i think this is a widespread problem. i just got another call this morning and the caller said that i sounded "muffled". i wonder if this affects ALL Nexus 5 phones but only some of us have realized it because the vast majority of you guys out there don't talk much on the phone???

Exactly. Before I RMA the phone, I wanted to make sure that this is not a defect common across a majority of the phones. Here the wait time for a RMA replacement is 4-5 weeks. And I don't want to send my phone back only to get another phone which has same (or worst case even more) issues.

All that said, My phone is perfect except for CRAPPY microphone and other people not being able to hear me. I really have to move close to the microphone when speaking. The voice goes hollow and sometimes loud, is what I have been told.

Also as you said in the previous post does using a bluetooth headset fix this? I might buy one and start using that to mitigate this.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Exactly. Before I RMA the phone, I wanted to make sure that this is not a defect common across a majority of the phones. Here the wait time for a RMA replacement is 4-5 weeks. And I don't want to send my phone back only to get another phone which has same (or worst case even more) issues.

All that said, My phone is perfect except for CRAPPY microphone and other people not being able to hear me. I really have to move close to the microphone when speaking. The voice goes hollow and sometimes loud, is what I have been told.

Also as you said in the previous post does using a bluetooth headset fix this? I might buy one and start using that to mitigate this.

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic
$29.00

Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Will order these.

On a unrelated note, another issue. I don't get voicemail notifications on my phone. I have no way of knowing if I got a voicemail unless I call it manually. I also rebooted my phone. Still didn't get notifications. Using Sprint as my carrier.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

use Google Voice "LITE" for you Voicemail! VVM, FREE TRANSCRIPTION, listen to messages on PC (Chrome Extension), and much more!!! -

Set up or Remove Google voicemail for your mobile phone

Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-1sx3qhtutyt40&cbrank=0

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

use Google Voice "LITE" for you Voicemail! VVM, FREE TRANSCRIPTION, listen to messages on PC (Chrome Extension), and much more!!! -

Set up or Remove Google voicemail for your mobile phone

Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-1sx3qhtutyt40&cbrank=0

Thanks again. But this is only possible if you integrate your phone number as google voice right?

I haven't done that. My existing number is 123 and my Google voice number is 456. So google voice voicemail is setup for whenever someone calls 456. But it is NOT setup for when someone calls 123 (my real number). I don't think there is a way to do that, unless you port over to Google voice?

I had thought of porting my number to google voice (there is a sprint-GV integration). But the voice quality is supposedly bad if the data coverage is not good.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Thanks again. But this is only possible if you integrate your phone number as google voice right?

I haven't done that. My existing number is 123 and my Google voice number is 456. So google voice voicemail is setup for whenever someone calls 456. But it is NOT setup for when someone calls 123 (my real number). I don't think there is a way to do that, unless you port over to Google voice?

I had thought of porting my number to google voice (there is a sprint-GV integration). But the voice quality is supposedly bad if the data coverage is not good.

no you do NOT need to port ot integrate your numbers. they remain totally separate and distinct. that's why it's called Google Voice "LITE". look again.

Cadenz

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm this is also happening to me. My gf says my voice sounds fine while on speakerphone, but using normal speaker and mic makes me sound distant. Hoping this is just software....

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I sincerely hope that THIS is a software issue. I would HATE to send my phone back. It is perfect in other way.
A lot of people have complained about it. Makes me wonder whether this is a hardware defect widespread in a LOT of phones. In that case, even RMA might not result in a perfect phone. One might get something with the same problem or worse.

I wish there was a way that Google could know about this issue. That way they could fix it.

nismospec

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
read through the posts and it seems like I have a similar problem.
while on a call the other side can hear me fine, but the person i'm talking to fades in/out every few seconds. goes from hearing them perfectly clear to sounding like they're wispering.
I use my phone for work a lot so i'm hoping a quick fix comes out for this or it'll have to go back just because I can't be upsetting people I work with by repeating "what did you say" over and over again.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem so decided to try a different dialer.
Please keep us posted on how that goes. I think that might help. I've used Skype and some other voice apps and the voice seems fine. It's only when i CALL people using the stock dialer for normal phone calls, it totally sucks. I'm having a huge problem with people pointing out that they can't hear me. Unfortunately I do have to talk a lot on my phone, unlike regular folks here.

imjimmy

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
read through the posts and it seems like I have a similar problem.
while on a call the other side can hear me fine, but the person i'm talking to fades in/out every few seconds. goes from hearing them perfectly clear to sounding like they're wispering.
I use my phone for work a lot so i'm hoping a quick fix comes out for this or it'll have to go back just because I can't be upsetting people I work with by repeating "what did you say" over and over again.

I was about to RMA, but the looking at so many people it is either a software defect OR a widespread hardware issue affecting a large number of devices.

In both of the above cases a RMA may not help as the new phone might have the same problem.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys, I contacted google and I'm supposed to receive a new Nexus 5 tomorrow given the problems I have had with my microphone. I will be sending this one back to them. It's really unfortunate that so many nexus phones seem to be having problems. Honestly it seems like LG isn't doing the best of jobs making this phone reliable. Samsung did a fantastic job when it came to reliability.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to let you folks know, its not every N5 doing this. I am on At&t(Still using an Hspa+ Sim) and I make maybe 10 calls a day(Owned the phone since the 5th) and have had no indications of any sound problems. I thought the sound quality improved over my GN. No one's complaining they can't hear me.

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you folks know, its not every N5 doing this. I am on At&t(Still using an Hspa+ Sim) and I make maybe 10 calls a day(Owned the phone since the 5th) and have had no indications of any sound problems. I thought the sound quality improved over my GN. No one's complaining they can't hear me.

Yes definetely I am sure but unfortunately the ones we have have defective microphones.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Lol, I haven't used mine for calling yet because it's not yet on a carrier.

I haven't worried about it because I have 3 other lg phones and all of them are very good for phone calls. The only complaints I've ever had are down to my poor Sprint service.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084