How do you change the icons on the Nexus 5 with stock Google Launcher?

llcoolbean

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

I used to use the Nova launcher b/c you could customize the heck out of it, but with the Nexus 5 I'm really happy with the stock Launcher and it's integration with Google Now. The only problem is that I can't seem to customize the options with the stock Google Experience Launcher. I'm sure it's probably something simple that I'm missing and doing wrong. I'd be surprised if there's not a way to do it easily.

Any tips? Many thanks for your help.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont think you can change icon with GEL. I haven't uses the launcher yet but from seeing all the video i think its not possible

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I used to use the Nova launcher b/c you could customize the heck out of it, but with the Nexus 5 I'm really happy with the stock Launcher and it's integration with Google Now. The only problem is that I can't seem to customize the options with the stock Google Experience Launcher. I'm sure it's probably something simple that I'm missing and doing wrong. I'd be surprised if there's not a way to do it easily.

Any tips? Many thanks for your help.

You are not missing anything. It is working as intended. That is why I am still using Nova launcher.

I like the Native launcher, but it is just too restricting. Google has a vision and they insist you be a part of that vision if you want to use the native launcher. =)

It's disturbingly Apple like. And more annoying because the "ok google" stuff only works in that launcher. Oh well...at least we are not stuck with it and can install other launchers. Hopefully the 3rd party launchers will add this stuff in shortly.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You can't do anything about changing app drawer icons but you can on your home screen.

Install Desktop VisualizeR.
Add the following shortcut under widgets (hold down on the home screen and select widgets).
Screenshot_2013-11-08-12-36-12.jpg

Once you add it to the home screen, the desktop visualizer screen will display. Select an icon image and associated application. Save! You now have an application shortcut with a custom icon.
Screenshot_2013-11-08-12-44-44.jpgScreenshot_2013-11-08-12-44-52.jpg

llcoolbean

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
^^ that's for the tip, but if i can't change the dock icons also then it's not really worth it to me to change the other icons.

Last edited:

llcoolbean

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
AHA! actually, messed around with this a bit more...there is a way to do it....you can use the Icon Switcher app and do each one manually. Not every icon theme pack works, but I'm using Metrostation icon pack and it's working. I rebooted my nexus 5 and they remained changed to my customized icons.

I'm happy with the solution even though it's a bit of a pain to modify each icon individually instead of all at one like you could do with a theme pack.

FryTHF

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi man,

Sorry for this late message !
Your phone is pretty nice like this, very light ! I just got my Nexus 5 last week and I would like to change the appearence but I don't know really how to do this. My idea is very close to yours. Can you explain to me how you did to change the icons appearence ?
I downloaded Nova Launcher but you can not really change deeply the settings.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Fry

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I just use Nova. Nova got rid of the black bar of the notification bar and on screen buttons so the whole screen is now useable/viewable like GEL is. The only good thing about GEL is Google Now and if i want to use it, i switch it back to GEL in about two seconds by touching the home button. I have seven icons on my Nova dock.

7f9717cd-84c9-4ece-8116-f380ae99c3e9.png

Last edited:

Finn Weber

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
From what I've found, the best way seems to be by rooting and installing xposed, then getting the app Unicon, which changes icons throughout the OS. If you don't want to root though, then I guess not.