Camera on Nexus 5 has a magnetic ring for bigger lenses?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried this? I was reading on reditt that the nexus 5 has a magnetic ring for aftermarket lenses. Nice touch Googles! *puts his nexus 5 against the fridge to feel the force* ha ha.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have some magnetic lenses, and unfortunately they aren't attracted to the Nexus 5 I have here at all.
Neither is any sort of metal, or any other magnet.

Either the white one is different, mine shipped without a magic magnet, or someone on reddit is pulling your leg.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have some magnetic lenses, and unfortunately they aren't attracted to the Nexus 5 I have here at all.
Neither is any sort of metal, or any other magnet.

Either the white one is different, mine shipped without a magic magnet, or someone on reddit is pulling your leg.

I was planning to order a set of those lenses today just for this. As for the white version including the magnet:

gNAVkCz.jpg

I'm not saying yours is magnetic, but it appears at least some are. I'll definitely be testing it this afternoon. (And yes, via reddit.)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok i just tested this on my black 32gb and the magnet is in the middle of the phone not the lens. i can get it to look like the pic above cuz it's touching the middle part. it definitely will not only sit over the lens.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Only have a staple to test with, but my lens grabs onto it pretty strongly and pulls it to the center of the lens.

(I have a white Nexus 5)

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Look, there has to be some purpose to that giant black ring around the lens of the Nexus. I became worried that it was a horrible design "feature", but seems like it may be there for a reason.

trent25

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
16GB black here. It's magnetic for me.
Look closely at the little lens inside as you approach the paper clip from one side of the lens. The little lens moves ever so slightly in there. So maybe the magnetics are part of OIS?

BTW I just noticed that the little lens in there is not perfectly centered with the hole in the back cover.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
A paper clip slightly sticks to various sections of the back of my black 32GB model. Just as strong at the lower right as at the lens. I do not believe this is lens specific and just an overall effect on the back.