Have you used the "OK Google" command much on your Nexus 5

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used it yesterday for the 1st time while i was doing my rounds between jobs, i ended up using it all day long, what an excellent feature, i was sending texts, getting navigation, and doing searches, i thought "OK Google" was going to be a bit of a gimmick but for me its totally changed the way i use my phone daily, anyone who drives a lot should get plenty of use from this feature, i wish i had tried the Moto X for the touch less features on that, they must be amazing to use.

Last edited:

Kaenon11

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I used it yesterday for the 1st time while i was doing my rounds between jobs, i ended up using it all day long, what an excellent feature, i was sending texts, getting navigation, and doing searches, i thought "OK Google" was going to be a bit of a gimmick but for me its totally changed the way i use my phone daily, anyone who drives a lot should get pleanty of use from this feature, i wish i had tried the Moto X for the touch less features on that, they must be amazing to use.

To be completely honest, I don't like the feature.
I would rather have to press the microphone icon to enable voice control than for my phone to be "always listening," for the "OK Google" command.

A gimmick feature that should in essence, reduce battery life, albeit very slim.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Good point regarding battery, i didnt notice as every time im in the car i have my phone on charge so didnt notice if i killed battery quicker by using the commands

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with OP it is great and i to like yoiu thought it would be a gimmick but i haven't stopped using it either :)

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using voice commands on the GN since I got it. Unless it came after ICS...can't remember. Any way I always tell it to "Navigate to(where ever) It's excellent for that especially in the car.

And then for pretty much every Google search.

OK Google takes about the same time as pushing button...

Posted via Android Central App

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
turned it off cause my smart *** 4 year old daughter keeps trying to activate it with an evil grin on her face...she tried to do the same thing in the car with out GPS system..luckily it doesn't always hear her over the stereo....

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
no i turned it off in settings to save battery (disable hot word) this removes always listening. BUT i use Nova Launcher so it wasn't really active anyway. BUT in Nova Launcher i added the little microphone icon from "Nova Settings" and added that to my bottom row of icons non right next to app drawer button. so any time i want to ask Google something i just easily press that button. i like this better.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
But pushing the button can be a pain when driving.
But you have to push 2 buttons on the N5 anyhow as unlike the Moto-X it doesn't work when the phone is off. So you have to turn on and then unlock. As implemented on the N5 it's just a gimmick. May as well just turn it off to save battery and use the mic button.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I use it all the time and it works amazingly well. Never felt the need to turn it off as my N5 has excellent battery life as is!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It does work well when I remember to use it. Like many have said I use it a lot more on my Moto x because it is touchless. I really miss the phone activating when I pick it up. Wish the Nexus 5 had it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just showed my wife it since she uses siri a lot and she was impressed. Otherwise I don't use it.

MRKV

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been using voice commands on the GN since I got it. Unless it came after ICS...can't remember. Any way I always tell it to "Navigate to(where ever) It's excellent for that especially in the car.

I've used it a few times for the novelty aspect of it however whenever I say "Navigate to work" it just google searches for the phrase "Navigate to work". Works fine with everything else, even "Navigate to home" works fine but for some reason it never works for my work despite the fact that my work location is saved as such.