Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have you used the "OK Google" command much on your Nexus 5

I used it yesterday for the 1st time while i was doing my rounds between jobs, i ended up using it all day long, what an excellent feature, i was sending texts, getting navigation, and doing searches, i thought "OK Google" was going to be a bit of a gimmick but for me its totally changed the way i use my phone daily, anyone who drives a lot should get plenty of use from this feature, i wish i had tried the Moto X for the touch less features on that, they must be amazing to use.
    Last edited by angry english; 11-08-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Default Re: Have you used the "OK Google" command much on your Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    I used it yesterday for the 1st time while i was doing my rounds between jobs, i ended up using it all day long, what an excellent feature, i was sending texts, getting navigation, and doing searches, i thought "OK Google" was going to be a bit of a gimmick but for me its totally changed the way i use my phone daily, anyone who drives a lot should get pleanty of use from this feature, i wish i had tried the Moto X for the touch less features on that, they must be amazing to use.
    To be completely honest, I don't like the feature.
    I would rather have to press the microphone icon to enable voice control than for my phone to be "always listening," for the "OK Google" command.

A gimmick feature that should in essence, reduce battery life, albeit very slim.
    c0rbindallas likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Good point regarding battery, i didnt notice as every time im in the car i have my phone on charge so didnt notice if i killed battery quicker by using the commands

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I agree with OP it is great and i to like yoiu thought it would be a gimmick but i haven't stopped using it either
    angry english likes this.

all the cool kids are going with "Ok Jarvis"
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze

Quote Originally Posted by indianajonze View Post
    all the cool kids are going with "Ok Jarvis"
    OK Yahoo, OK Bing Bing and OK Nexus also works. Seems like you can use a a number of two syllable works after "OK" and it will work.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I've been using voice commands on the GN since I got it. Unless it came after ICS...can't remember. Any way I always tell it to "Navigate to(where ever) It's excellent for that especially in the car.

And then for pretty much every Google search.

OK Google takes about the same time as pushing button...

Posted via Android Central App
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.4(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5, ONE+ONE On Order N7(4.4.4) AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

But pushing the button can be a pain when driving

Quote Originally Posted by BartmanJax View Post
    OK Yahoo, OK Bing Bing and OK Nexus also works. Seems like you can use a a number of two syllable works after "OK" and it will work.
    are you sure? ive just been screaming ok bing bing into my phone for the past 5 min and nothing happens
    Nexus 5!
    The path to enlightenment begins with an unlocked bootloader...

twitter.com/indianajonze
    Jonneh and gmurphy0487 like this.

are you sure? ive just been screaming ok bing bing into my phone for the past 5 min and nothing happens
    It does work on the odd occasion. Depends on accent. My brummy accent can make "Okay tit'ed" start it:\

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

turned it off cause my smart *** 4 year old daughter keeps trying to activate it with an evil grin on her face...she tried to do the same thing in the car with out GPS system..luckily it doesn't always hear her over the stereo....
    gmurphy0487 likes this.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartmanJax View Post
    Lol it works, fromnow t's Jais for me.

Yeah maybe the problem is you are screaming

no i turned it off in settings to save battery (disable hot word) this removes always listening. BUT i use Nova Launcher so it wasn't really active anyway. BUT in Nova Launcher i added the little microphone icon from "Nova Settings" and added that to my bottom row of icons non right next to app drawer button. so any time i want to ask Google something i just easily press that button. i like this better.

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

It works great, but I disabled it to save battery life.

I have on my Note 3.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    But pushing the button can be a pain when driving.
    But you have to push 2 buttons on the N5 anyhow as unlike the Moto-X it doesn't work when the phone is off. So you have to turn on and then unlock. As implemented on the N5 it's just a gimmick. May as well just turn it off to save battery and use the mic button.

Global Posts
    889 Global Posts

I use it all the time and it works amazingly well. Never felt the need to turn it off as my N5 has excellent battery life as is!

It does work well when I remember to use it. Like many have said I use it a lot more on my Moto x because it is touchless. I really miss the phone activating when I pick it up. Wish the Nexus 5 had it.
    OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

I just showed my wife it since she uses siri a lot and she was impressed. Otherwise I don't use it.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    I've been using voice commands on the GN since I got it. Unless it came after ICS...can't remember. Any way I always tell it to "Navigate to(where ever) It's excellent for that especially in the car.
    I've used it a few times for the novelty aspect of it however whenever I say "Navigate to work" it just google searches for the phrase "Navigate to work". Works fine with everything else, even "Navigate to home" works fine but for some reason it never works for my work despite the fact that my work location is saved as such.

I have used it. I think it would be much more useful if I could use it to wake it up out of sleep. It's like if I have to unlock the phone and then go back to what I am doing what is the point?

I am really hoping that google is at least looking at the option to give the nexus 5 the same touch less features. I would certainly use it if that were the case.

im actually using it alot. It would be really cool if it had the always listening like the moto x though.

Just wondering has anyone been able to play artist by voice command? With a song I am able to have Google music launch and play the track. With the artist all Google music player does is load the artist but I have to manually select play.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I am always around other people, and it's always more discreet to use my thumb. I guess I don't want other folks to hear what I'm doing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast