1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the Nexus 5 work without activating with a carrier?

long story why i ask. but will the nexus 5 work with out activating thru a carrier. I just want the phone and access google play and download games and such and use the camera and browse internet thru wifi. in short use it as a google iPod touch and if i need a phone later i can activate it then.

Default Re: Will the Nexus 5 work without activating with a carrier?

If you mean without a SIM and only on WiFi then yes, It will still work

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

There are a lot of apps that allow texting and phone calls over WiFi. But how does user get a phone number without a SIM? Can you buy a SIM to get a phone number but then never activate it with the carrier?

ROM
    Evio2 and Clockwork mod

Quote Originally Posted by susie798 View Post
    There are a lot of apps that allow texting and phone calls over WiFi. But how does user get a phone number without a SIM? Can you buy a SIM to get a phone number but then never activate it with the carrier?
    If you're not getting service then why do you need a phone number?

And just a number has nothing to do with a sim (CDMA carriers do not use a sim for voice). You can use Google voice for a number and plenty of other apps do the same, many free.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by volhater View Post
    Will the Nexus 5 work without activating with a carrier?
    Every Android phone will work without activation, not just the nexus. If you wanted to, you could just use any Android phone as a mini tablet. The phone part is like an add on to the Android part.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike09890 View Post
    If you're not getting service then why do you need a phone number?
    Okay. one example would be using an app (e.g, RedPhone) that can make phone calls over data (WiFi). How would people call me if I don't have a phone number? Or would this not work even with a phone number. This is what I'm trying to understand.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by susie798 View Post
    Okay. one example would be using an app (e.g, RedPhone) that can make phone calls over data (WiFi). How would people call me if I don't have a phone number? Or would this not work even with a phone number. This is what I'm trying to understand.
    Generally, whatever service you are using would provide the phone number. You can make wifi calls over google voice, but you will need a real phone number first to set up google voice (even if it is a land line). But I don't think it needs to be in your name...for example, you could use your work number or whatever. But they use this initial number to verify your identity.

Magic Jack is another cheap way to get a phone number that is independent of a carrier or phone company.