Does "OK Google" wake the phone from sleep?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to have the phone awake to respond to "OK Google", or will that command wake the phone from sleep mode as well?

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
That isn't entirely true, it will work when the phone is unlocked no matter at what screen it's on. It doesn't have to e on google now, it works on any screen.

toade

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Krouri, I'm with Phil on this one. It only works at a home screen (any home screen) or Google now. It does not work on any screen, as you state. For example, if you are in the browser, or in hangouts, you can't just say "Ok, Google."

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is a part of the launcher, not the system. So you have to be on the home screen for it to work.

Thats also why it will not work if you are using a non-native launcher.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
usually a good idea to agree with phil. of course, you always got a few people who love to try and prove phil and jerry incorrect on many things.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It has to be awake, unlocked and on the home screen. (Or on Google now.)
Which of course makes it pretty much useless. Since you have to unlock/switch on the phone to the home screen, you may as well just press the mic button that is there anyhow. So you may as well turn hotword detection off and save a little battery. For this function to be useful it has to be available even when off like on the Moto-X. Apparently the N5 hardware is capable of this but Google could not activate it due to some potential patent issue.

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
moto x has a dedicated low power speech processor which listens to you while consuming less battery. other phones can listen too but would end up hogging a lot of battery. the processor is application specific and won't do anything generic.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That is an HTC One. Saying "OK Google" on a Nexus 5 will not wake it.

Posted via Android Central App
Odd, then why does it drain so much battery when the phone is asleep? Simply turning that off saved more battery power than anything else I've done with the phone other than enable ART.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Odd, then why does it drain so much battery when the phone is asleep? Simply turning that off saved more battery power than anything else I've done with the phone other than enable ART.

My N5 only uses about 4% when sleeping for 8 to 10 hours during the night and I haven't disabled "OK Google". Loved ART since I started getting more than 24 hours off the battery.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Which of course makes it pretty much useless. Since you have to unlock/switch on the phone to the home screen, you may as well just press the mic button that is there anyhow. So you may as well turn hotword detection off and save a little battery. For this function to be useful it has to be available even when off like on the Moto-X. Apparently the N5 hardware is capable of this but Google could not activate it due to some potential patent issue.
Ha. Didn't mean to thank you but don't know how to undo that via Tapatalk.

I agree with you on turning off the hotword detection for the most part. I find it very useful in the car for dictating texts and such though so I keep it on.

Don't think it is a patent thing, more a hardware thing. Would eat too much battery on most devices.

I'd suggest making sure to kill the Google search process after using it (or at least before going to bed at night) via the multitasking soft button. Even if not being used, it can run amok if left on in the background I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest making sure to kill the Google search process after using it (or at least before going to bed at night) via the multitasking soft button. Even if not being used, it can run amok if left on in the background I've found.
I never used it and never wanted to (The "OK Google" part), so I turned it off. It looked like it helped dramatically, but about 2 hours later I started also using ART, so I'm admittedly not 100% sure.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
moto x has a dedicated low power speech processor which listens to you while consuming less battery. other phones can listen too but would end up hogging a lot of battery. the processor is application specific and won't do anything generic.

The Snapdragon 800 actually has a low power core specifically designed for voice recognition when the device is sleeping. Google chose not to use it for some reason. Sort of disappointing in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I believe its the Moto X thats able to wake upon saying "Ok Google". The GEL does activate search but only when the screen is on and viewing a homescreen. You could download "Open Mic+" but it may have a battery drain since it isn't a native process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22