Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does "OK Google" wake the phone from sleep?

Do you have to have the phone awake to respond to "OK Google", or will that command wake the phone from sleep mode as well?

Default Re: Does "OK Google" wake the phone from sleep?

No, it only works when the phone is unlocked and at your home screen.
    Thanked by:
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,444 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Do you have to have the phone awake to respond to "OK Google", or will that command wake the phone from sleep mode as well?
    It has to be awake, unlocked and on the home screen. (Or on Google now.)
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks folks!

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

That isn't entirely true, it will work when the phone is unlocked no matter at what screen it's on. It doesn't have to e on google now, it works on any screen.

Krouri, I'm with Phil on this one. It only works at a home screen (any home screen) or Google now. It does not work on any screen, as you state. For example, if you are in the browser, or in hangouts, you can't just say "Ok, Google."
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Yes, it is a part of the launcher, not the system. So you have to be on the home screen for it to work.

Thats also why it will not work if you are using a non-native launcher.

usually a good idea to agree with phil. of course, you always got a few people who love to try and prove phil and jerry incorrect on many things.
    16gb Motorola X and 32gb Nexus 5
    32gb Nexus 7 2013 Edition

Hi,

There's an app named, "Open Mic+ for Google Now,

That should help you get your phone doing what you want.

"I hope"

Saw this video, sort of contradicts Phil (no offence) but i would like to set up similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    It has to be awake, unlocked and on the home screen. (Or on Google now.)
    Which of course makes it pretty much useless. Since you have to unlock/switch on the phone to the home screen, you may as well just press the mic button that is there anyhow. So you may as well turn hotword detection off and save a little battery. For this function to be useful it has to be available even when off like on the Moto-X. Apparently the N5 hardware is capable of this but Google could not activate it due to some potential patent issue.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

moto x has a dedicated low power speech processor which listens to you while consuming less battery. other phones can listen too but would end up hogging a lot of battery. the processor is application specific and won't do anything generic.

That is an HTC One. Saying "OK Google" on a Nexus 5 will not wake it.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Pelton View Post
    That is an HTC One. Saying "OK Google" on a Nexus 5 will not wake it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Odd, then why does it drain so much battery when the phone is asleep? Simply turning that off saved more battery power than anything else I've done with the phone other than enable ART.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Odd, then why does it drain so much battery when the phone is asleep? Simply turning that off saved more battery power than anything else I've done with the phone other than enable ART.
    My N5 only uses about 4% when sleeping for 8 to 10 hours during the night and I haven't disabled "OK Google". Loved ART since I started getting more than 24 hours off the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    Which of course makes it pretty much useless. Since you have to unlock/switch on the phone to the home screen, you may as well just press the mic button that is there anyhow. So you may as well turn hotword detection off and save a little battery. For this function to be useful it has to be available even when off like on the Moto-X. Apparently the N5 hardware is capable of this but Google could not activate it due to some potential patent issue.
    Ha. Didn't mean to thank you but don't know how to undo that via Tapatalk.

I agree with you on turning off the hotword detection for the most part. I find it very useful in the car for dictating texts and such though so I keep it on.

Don't think it is a patent thing, more a hardware thing. Would eat too much battery on most devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I'd suggest making sure to kill the Google search process after using it (or at least before going to bed at night) via the multitasking soft button. Even if not being used, it can run amok if left on in the background I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    I'd suggest making sure to kill the Google search process after using it (or at least before going to bed at night) via the multitasking soft button. Even if not being used, it can run amok if left on in the background I've found.
    I never used it and never wanted to (The "OK Google" part), so I turned it off. It looked like it helped dramatically, but about 2 hours later I started also using ART, so I'm admittedly not 100% sure.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by uumeshh View Post
    moto x has a dedicated low power speech processor which listens to you while consuming less battery. other phones can listen too but would end up hogging a lot of battery. the processor is application specific and won't do anything generic.
    The Snapdragon 800 actually has a low power core specifically designed for voice recognition when the device is sleeping. Google chose not to use it for some reason. Sort of disappointing in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    AT&T Galaxy S5

-Current-
    AT&T LG G3 D850
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I believe its the Moto X thats able to wake upon saying "Ok Google". The GEL does activate search but only when the screen is on and viewing a homescreen. You could download "Open Mic+" but it may have a battery drain since it isn't a native process.

I have note 3 and my phone will wake with okay google. I'm stock and not rooted