Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    psyke45's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Solved - Bizarre bug...it'll let me copy from Google Drive into the ringtones folder, but sound profiles won't see them. If I connect it to my windows XP machine (having problems connecting the N4 and N5 to my Win8 machine.. ), and I manually transfer the files over USB into the ringtones folder, Sound profiles picks it up no problems.. Same with the Notifications. It's almost like android isn't rescanning for new files for some odd reason *boggles*




    ---Original-----
    Got my black 32gb N5 this afternoon(Ottawa, Canada) and love it so far as it's a huge boost over my GNex. Been setting things up and transfered my ringtones folder over but the N5 is failing to see any of them, same goes for the ported over notification sounds...is there a special trick other than just making sure they are in the right folder? Does it no longer recognize mp3's or wav's preferring ogg's instead?

    Cheers!
    Steph S.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    32,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,047 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Honestly not sure. I have seen a couple other threads about your same issue.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    psyke45's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    bump; Fixed problem. see OP.
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    32,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    33,047 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke45 View Post
    bump; Fixed problem. see OP.
    Cool. Glad it's fixed.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app
  5. #5  
    stbxxl's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke45 View Post
    Solved - Bizarre bug...it'll let me copy from Google Drive into the ringtones folder, but sound profiles won't see them. If I connect it to my windows XP machine (having problems connecting the N4 and N5 to my Win8 machine.. ), and I manually transfer the files over USB into the ringtones folder, Sound profiles picks it up no problems.. Same with the Notifications. It's almost like android isn't rescanning for new files for some odd reason *boggles*




    ---Original-----
    Got my black 32gb N5 this afternoon(Ottawa, Canada) and love it so far as it's a huge boost over my GNex. Been setting things up and transfered my ringtones folder over but the N5 is failing to see any of them, same goes for the ported over notification sounds...is there a special trick other than just making sure they are in the right folder? Does it no longer recognize mp3's or wav's preferring ogg's instead?

    Cheers!
    Steph S.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanks for the update. I had the same problem and I'm I glad to have found your workaround!!
  6. #6  
    wx27's Avatar

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    I see you got around the issue with an alternative file transfer method. For anyone having this issue:

    It is possible that under the Google Drive settings, you have Enable Encryption checked for offline files.
    Unchecking that box will ensure that local copies of Google Drive files are readable by their relevant apps.
    mrsmumbles and psyke45 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    psyke45's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by wx27 View Post
    I see you got around the issue with an alternative file transfer method. For anyone having this issue:

    It is possible that under the Google Drive settings, you have Enable Encryption checked for offline files.
    Unchecking that box will ensure that local copies of Google Drive files are readable by their relevant apps.
    Thanks for the info, although I don't know if that's how Google intended it and it may be a bug relating to it... Encryption should only apply to files you flag as make available offline, ie: are available within the google drive app when you have no connection available.
    If I actually download the file to my device from GD, it should strip the encryption and provide a clean file. The fact that I could copy the downloaded file to my pc, read it, and copy it back again for it to work, does suggest that the encryption was indeed removed.

    Cheers
    Steph S.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    ChromeJob's Avatar

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    I flashed KRT16S (to my N4) last night and noticed that my custom folders /sdcard/alarms/ , /sdcard/ringtones/, etc aren't being ready by 4.4. So ... you're supposed to put them in /system/media/audio/[alarms|notifications|ringtones]/ ? Really....?

    Seriously, can someone use ES File Manager or similar to determine where this "alternate file transfer methods" are dropping the files?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    psyke45's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    I flashed KRT16S (to my N4) last night and noticed that my custom folders /sdcard/alarms/ , /sdcard/ringtones/, etc aren't being ready by 4.4. So ... you're supposed to put them in /system/media/audio/[alarms|notifications|ringtones]/ ? Really....?

    Seriously, can someone use ES File Manager or similar to determine where this "alternate file transfer methods" are dropping the files?
    Mine are still in sdcard/ring tones and sdcard/notifications... But I had to transfer them to the pc and back again to get them to be recognized... Had the same problem with some pictures....

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    ChromeJob's Avatar

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke45 View Post
    Mine are still in sdcard/ring tones and sdcard/notifications... But I had to transfer them to the pc and back again to get them to be recognized... Had the same problem with some pictures....
    Can you provide the steps you used to "transfer?" I noticed that files in /system/media/audio/* are owned by root/root, and have permission 664 (-rw-r--r--)

    I've read others using AirDroid, which I tried. It created a folder in /sdcard/ringtones with permissions rw-rw-r-- .... Hrm. Airdroid does allow you set them as ringtones, but so does the phone app once transferred by AirDroid.

    I suspect it's permissions...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    psyke45's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    Can you provide the steps you used to "transfer?" I noticed that files in /system/media/audio/* are owned by root/root, and have permission 664 (-rw-r--r--)

    I've read others using AirDroid, which I tried. It created a folder in /sdcard/ringtones with permissions rw-rw-r-- .... Hrm. Airdroid does allow you set them as ringtones, but so does the phone app once transferred by AirDroid.

    I suspect it's permissions...

    It was pretty simple actually:

    - set the phone as mtp in the storage/advanced settings
    - connected the phone to my win XP box. It shows up in my windows explorer
    - went to the folder where my ring tone were, in my case it's sdcard/ringtones
    -moved all the files found there to the pc, then immediately moved them back... That's it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ChromeJob and Zed273 like this.
  12. #12  
    ChromeJob's Avatar

    Posts
    1,206 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    I found an app written by a well-known (very smart) Googler, called Rings Extended. It lets you pick tones of your own choosing (intended to be music, but you can select sound files).

    Once selected with this app, the files show up in the default media picker (at least, before rebooting; haven't tried that use case).
  13. #13  
    N5RingtoneWorkaround's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    Yes, me also attempt many solutions, actual fix was to use a ringtone app. I used the app Ringtone Maker from Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erman.ringtone
  14. #14  
    Zed273's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    The "copy to Windows and back again" approach worked for me. Before that I had been FTPing files to my phone and using ES File Explorer to move them around.

    Thanks for the thread/solution. Was baffling.
  15. #15  
    JohnDuh's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    You are right about the folder needing to be rescanned by the system. A simple reboot accomplishes the same. Thanks for the insight on the cause.
  16. #16  
    Pranay Sunder's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: can't add custom ringtones via ringtones folder?

    I am aware that your problem has been solved, but I have an alternative method which I believe will be of use for those who read this. And the best part is that you can choose any music file you wish to add. The STEPS are:
    1. Download ES File Explorer.
    2. Whichever MP3 folder you wish to set as an option for ringtones, simply download it on your phone.
    3. Open ES File Explorer App, open 'Downloads' and long-press on which MP3 file you wish to select.
    4. Copy it, and then go back to the first page of the App.
    5. Find the 'Ringtones' folder and then open it.
    6. Paste it in that Folder.
    Voila, your wish is fulfilled.
    Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Add Attendees to Calendar Event?
    By jaywaller in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM
  2. No andriod folder on my sd card
    By Sunil Chaudhary in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM
  3. Can I get back to rooted after the latest Verizon update? Help!
    By mcat66 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 12:07 AM
  4. Custom SMS Notification sounds?
    By MrVivekB in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 12:58 AM
  5. Google text to speech can now be installed on the note 3
    By dpham00 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions