Anyone else having signal issues?

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my phone for the last 2 days and have noticed that signal as a whole is not very good compared to my other phones . on this phone I have no signal in half my office building , and when I do is choppy . my data is searching most of the time . my coworker also just got this phone and is having the same issues . I put my Sim back in my HTC one and perfect signal again . unfortunately this is a major issue for me in my line of work because one missed call could mean Missed Money . has anyone seen Google addressing this ?

EDIT: I am with AT&T

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I can only compare the N5 to the ?4 on Tmo. There is a dead spot on my commute where N4 always dropped the call. Calls on the N5 do not drop there now, but there is some choppiness. So it's better for me.

There is a possibility that different APN settings might help. You can look into this if you want but since your phone is vital to your business you're better off sticking with the One if this doesn't work.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
How long have you had your SIM card? Maybe try a new one? My signal strength on the N5 is actually better than on the N4, but I'm on T-Mobile. That you're on AT&T makes me think this may be a provisioning issue. Try calling AT&T and giving them the IMEI to provision.

Posted via Android Central App

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
You guys comparing it to the N4 need to compare it to a good phone, the N4 had HORID radios, that has been stated for the last year or so. Anything over the N4 is going to have a better radio. In the last few days i have swapped my sim between my HTC One, my S4 and GF's note 3 and all 3 get signal in places around my building that my N5 is not.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was experiencing issues with the N5 on AT&T and did a hard reset. Seems to have improved both cellular and wifi reception which in turn has improved the battery.

eric6014

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Im having signal issues on mine too. It was perfect for the first couple of days after I received it. Full bars of LTE pretty much everywhere, then last night out of nowhere it dropped all signal completely. I was able to get 1 bar of 3g going outside, but that's it. I figured it was a T-mobile outage or something, but I went to the store today and had them replace the sim, and nope. No T-mobile issues, so the phone must be defective. I just requested a replacement from the play store and they agreed with no questions asked. I hope it was an isolated issue and not something widespread on a batch of N5's...

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I notice that on my iPhone 4 my signal strength in my apartment was really strong but on my N5 not so much. Usually half strength.

c0rbindallas

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Im also with att and have terrible service with the n5. I've done a reset and also got a new Sim with no available fix. Guess the next step is to contact Google for a replacement. OP please let us know if you find a fix for this.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My signal strength is about the same as with my nexus 4 which is to say not that great. But I am taking that to be an android thing as I haven't yet used an android phone. Though my experience is limited to a galaxy s2, nexus 4 and now the 5, none of them can keep a signal a strong as my BlackBerry in poor reception areas. Since it seems to be the norm, I am not planning on returning it, just find a way to live with it...

Maybe one of these days I will get something like a HTC one since I have heard they are good for signal strength... but you can't beat the price of the nexus 5 for what you get including the things that may not be as good as you want.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Since replacing my HTC One with the N5 I can say without a doubt the signal strength is much weaker. I take the same commute to work every day and there is a small portion where the HTC would drop to one bar. In the N5, it literally loses all signal and goes to emergency calls only. This is very disconcerting to me. I also see my "time without reception" to be a higher percentage at the end of the day.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Go to setting > about phone > Status

Then tell us what the Signal Strength is in dBm and asu... Also, do you have Roaming on?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Since replacing my HTC One with the N5 I can say without a doubt the signal strength is much weaker. I take the same commute to work every day and there is a small portion where the HTC would drop to one bar. In the N5, it literally loses all signal and goes to emergency calls only. This is very disconcerting to me. I also see my "time without reception" to be a higher percentage at the end of the day.

I'm at -78 dBm and 62 asu.

What does this mean? I'm using T-Mobile post-paid. Roaming also on.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed my signal strength to be around -100-ish dBm and 40-ish asu while I've been playing around with the phone. Right now, it's sitting at -98 dBm and 42 asu. From what I've read, a "good" signal strength should be between 0 and -80-ish. So, my signal isn't all that great. Yet, I haven't had any issues in real-world use.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm at -78 dBm and 62 asu.

What does this mean? I'm using T-Mobile post-paid. Roaming also on.

This tells you what Mobile phone signal dBm and asu means. I'm not sure yet what value # means you have bad service enough to drop calls. Zero dBm is no signal but I think -78 dBm is a powerful signal and I am getting -115 dBm that is one bar on the phone so it is a weak signal. asu is all over the map since it changes between 3G, HSPA and 4G LTE. However my N5 works well for voice calls with only -115 to -120 dBm of signal.

The lower the number (technically larger because they are negative numbers) the better your signal is which is why zero is no signal and -130 is a bad signal.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This tells you what Mobile phone signal dBm and asu means. I'm not sure yet what value # means you have bad service enough to drop calls. Zero dBm is no signal but I think -78 dBm is a powerful signal and I am getting -115 dBm that is one bar on the phone so it is a weak signal. asu is all over the map since it changes between 3G, HSPA and 4G LTE. However my N5 works well for voice calls with only -115 to -120 dBm of signal.

The lower the number (technically larger because they are negative numbers) the better your signal is which is why zero is no signal and -130 is a bad signal.

I see. Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Actually, that 0 (zero) level is saying the measured power is 1 watt (I guess that's the reference level for these kinds of things).

I found a good rule of thumb in another thread on another forum:

-120 is unacceptable
-100 is poor but usable
-80 is acceptable/decent
-60 is good
-40 is excellent

It seems reasonable to me.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Noticing the same thing. Was out the other night with some friends. They were in there BB Q10s on the same Bell network. I had no bars at the restaurant, occasionally one bar. They were all at full bars.

Have noticed low bars on several occasions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781