T-Mobile's Nexus 5 won't support Wi-Fi calling

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I was fully expecting this since the Gnex and Nexus 4 didn't support it either. Would be nice to have, but at least my N5 gets even better signal at my house than my N4.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a T-Mobile device so why would it?

What's a T-Mobile device? They're a carrier that picks up devices to sell, and for at least some Android phones, they add WiFi calling. If you were to buy the same device elsewhere (say, unbranded or from a different carrier,) you wouldn't have WiFi calling on it.

This is how the GS3 is: buy a T-Mobile branded one and you get WiFi calling; buy a non-branded one and you don't. This is what I thought the N4 was too, but apparently it's not.

rockitdog23

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
What's a T-Mobile device? They're a carrier that picks up devices to sell, and for at least some Android phones, they add WiFi calling. If you were to buy the same device elsewhere (say, unbranded or from a different carrier,) you wouldn't have WiFi calling on it.

This is how the GS3 is: buy a T-Mobile branded one and you get WiFi calling; buy a non-branded one and you don't. This is what I thought the N4 was too, but apparently it's not.

Right, since this isn't a T-Mobile branded device that they aren't adding their own software to it makes sense it wouldn't have the WiFi calling feature as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
what apps are you guys using for your wifi calling? never tried it myself

Google Voice with GrooVe IP Lite, but that option is going to go away in a few months because Google is going to block the way GrooVe IP and others are doing it. No workaround that I have heard of yet.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Google Voice with GrooVe IP Lite, but that option is going to go away in a few months because Google is going to block the way GrooVe IP and others are doing it. No workaround that I have heard of yet.

Well this ticks me off at Google. All this proves is the Nexus 5 not supporting WiFi calling is a software issue and not a hardware issue. This maybe a T-Mobile software issue since this is an App function that interfaces with the carriers service. Either way Google should continue to support GrooVe IP Lite with Google voice since a lot of people have weak cell tower service when in places that have free WiFi.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well this ticks me off at Google. All this proves is the Nexus 5 not supporting WiFi calling is a software issue and not a hardware issue. This maybe a T-Mobile software issue since this is an App function that interfaces with the carriers service. Either way Google should continue to support GrooVe IP Lite with Google voice since a lot of people have weak cell tower service when in places that have free WiFi.

It's never been a hardware issue. There is nothing special hardware wise at all.

For those that don't know wifi calling is simply software. T-Mobile pre installs it on phones and all it does is tell the phone how to connect to the T-Mobile backhaul when you connect to wifi.. And uses that over the cellular. That's it.. No special radio or anything. It's the same as you connecting to Google Music or Spotify over your wifi.. It just uses that as the road versus cellular.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well since I am on Metro PCS using the T-Mobile towers I guess I will try Metro PCS App Joyn that supports Wi-Fi Calling and Video Calling. There is a lot of feed back it has errors but still some people that are using it for Wi-Fi calling in the comments.

joyn - MetroPCS US

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Before you get too upset, the assumption is that Google is blocking the way Groove IP will work because they are building in wifi calling using google voice through hangouts natively, you know, like is ALREADY POSSIBLE on IOS.

mojo rising

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a solution to this. I will be traveling in an area that does not have T Mobile coverage for 9 days next month. It looks like GrooveIP and Google Voice will be available for the time of my trip, however, I would like a more long term solution.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Right, since this isn't a T-Mobile branded device that they aren't adding their own software to it makes sense it wouldn't have the WiFi calling feature as well.

Doesn't make sense to me at all. Why not just package it up as an app and let us sideload it? Their app would be able to tell they are on a T-Mobile device/network or not. I don't see why this needs to be pre-loaded in order to work. They may CHOOSE to have it be this way, but it is certainly not required.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't make sense to me at all. Why not just package it up as an app and let us sideload it? Their app would be able to tell they are on a T-Mobile device/network or not. I don't see why this needs to be pre-loaded in order to work. They may CHOOSE to have it be this way, but it is certainly not required.

Eh depends. I am not developer but if you think about it this app has the power to fully take you off a cell network and throw you to wifi for everything.. Normal apps don't have that power. Also having to release an app and configure it for ALL phones and custom ROMs.. Yeah headache.. So they could be saying we will load it when we can and then we can support it properly.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance