Request Help: Idea on why some of us aren't receiving top bar Voicemail Notifications

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I'm with Virgin Mobile here in Canada and my iPhone 4 used to always say "New Voicemail" in a nice little bubble yeah? But since switching to the Nexus 5 yesterday I have gotten ZERO voicemail notifications (yes, I am able to manually call and pick up the voicemail messages that have been left). So I was reading through these forums and someone suggested "Maybe you don't have notifications enabled somewhere on the phone". This got me thinking and looking under ALL APPS to see if I could find something with VOICE MAIL in it. No such luck.

What am I missing here?

My carrier account IS able to send me voicemail notifications but maybe my phone isn't picking it up properly or I do indeed have a notification turned off somewhere?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'm with Virgin Mobile here in Canada and my iPhone 4 used to always say "New Voicemail" in a nice little bubble yeah? But since switching to the Nexus 5 yesterday I have gotten ZERO voicemail notifications (yes, I am able to manually call and pick up the voicemail messages that have been left). So I was reading through these forums and someone suggested "Maybe you don't have notifications enabled somewhere on the phone". This got me thinking and looking under ALL APPS to see if I could find something with VOICE MAIL in it. No such luck.

What am I missing here?

My carrier account IS able to send me voicemail notifications but maybe my phone isn't picking it up properly or I do indeed have a notification turned off somewhere?

Welcome to the forums.
My guess, is since it isn't a carrier phone, they didn't add a Voicemail app as part of the carrier ROM package. You can try to download a voice mail app form Play. Google has one. The only question is if your account is compatible with Google voice.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
After some testing here is what I am finding out.... (I was on phone with tech support too)

Someone calls me (3 times we did this) and leaves a voicemail
No voicemail notification pops up even after 5 minutes
Power cycle the phone
Soon as phone turns back on BOOM Voicemail Notification pops up

It isn't network related since they checked the logs and the text and voicemail notifications were both sent.
It isn't a hardware issue since the phone DOES indeed pickup a voicemail notification on a power cycle
This probably means it is a software issue with Kit Kat / Android that will require patching

I AM able to access my voicemail by holding down the 1 button in the phone app but there is no specific app for voicemail.

Cheers

P.S - Thanks for the welcome. Excited to be in the world of Android after being an iPhone owner since the 3G came out.

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I setup my line to automatically go to Google's Voicemail service instead of AT&T's, then downloaded the Google Voice app where I can listen to voicemails whenever I want. I still have voicemails from 2008. You also get an SMS with the transcribed text when someone leaves a voicemail.

It's just a matter of having missed calls sent to your Google Voicemail number.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en&ref_topic=3038506

I've had this setup for so long that I don't know how Android handles it without Google Voice.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar problem on sprint. Not overly concerned as I know using Google voicemail will be a workaround once I install it, still is odd though.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem on sprint. Not overly concerned as I know using Google voicemail will be a workaround once I install it, still is odd though.

While I may be able to use Google Voice as a work around I shouldn't have to. I will wait to see what Bell/Virgin Tech Support down in the U.S.A comes up with in the next couple of days since there is a ticket in regards to the matter. The more people that submit tickets to their tech support the faster Google will come up with a fix/patch for it.

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5's don't have any manufacturer or carrier bloatware. A visual voicemail app has to be downloaded from the Play store and there are hundreds on there. Some carriers have their own app. Take T-Mobile and AT&T for example, you can download their visual voicemail app from the Play store. Virgin Mobile doesn't have one available on the Play store, besides the one available for US subscribers only. iPhones have their own proprietary visual voicemail handling made by Apple.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5's don't have any manufacturer or carrier bloatware. A visual voicemail app has to be downloaded from the Play store and there are hundreds on there. Some carriers have their own app. Take T-Mobile and AT&T for example, you can download their visual voicemail app from the Play store. Virgin Mobile doesn't have one available on the Play store, besides the one available for US subscribers only. iPhones have their own proprietary visual voicemail handling made by Apple.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay but then how is it that I get the little voicemail icon in the top notification bar when I power cycle the phone. THAT is what I actually want working (without having to power cycle). I know it works it is just a question of the Nexus 5 checking after a missed call.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Not true. I have a Nexus 5 from the Play Store and I receive voicemail notifications just fine. As the poster indicated, he is getting them when he first powers up.

Michael, in the phone app settings/call settings/voicemail/service is it set to "carrier"? Under Setup, is your correct carrier voicemail number listed?

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That is pretty weird. Android does have voicemail settings:

1) Tap the phone icon.
2) Tap the menu button in the bottom right corner (three vertical dots).
3) Settings -> Call settings -> Voicemail

You're able to select whether you want to use your carrier or another voicemail service, but it doesn't look like you can do much else there.

Try this: turn off Wi-Fi and then do a voicemail to see if you get the notification with Wi-Fi off.

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Not true. I have a Nexus 5 from the Play Store and I receive voicemail notifications just fine. As the poster indicated, he is getting them when he first powers up.

Michael, in the phone app settings/call settings/voicemail/service is it set to "carrier"? Under Setup, is your correct carrier voicemail number listed?

What carrier are you using?

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

Yes, in the PHONE ICON / SETTINGS / CALL SETTINGS / VOICEMAIL area I have the following

Service: My carrier
Setup: correct voicemail number (I can access it by holding #1 key down or manually dialing it)
Sound: Default Sound
Vibrate: Check

As for the carrier, I'm using Virgin Mobile here in Canada

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected! I have looked at the top visual voicemail apps on the Play store and none of them support Virgin Mobile since it's a prepaid service, so they must handle voicemail differently than other carriers.

Michael, try adding a voicemail with the Wi-Fi off on your Nexus 5 and see if you get a new voicemail notification that way.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Try this: turn off Wi-Fi and then do a voicemail to see if you get the notification with Wi-Fi off.

This did not give me the notification.

I am guessing that there is a glitch in the status update of the phone for some carriers after a missed call

For instance....

Those that have working?

RECEIVED MISSED CALL >>> CHECK (INSERT "MY CARRIER" INFO HERE) >>> IF CHECK = YES APPLY NOTIFICATION >>> IF CHECK = NO GO TO STANDBY (or whatever)

Those that DON'T have it working?

RECEIVED MISSED CALL >>> RETURN TO STANDBY MODE (or something along these lines)

However when you power cycle the phone it automatically checks itself and updates all its current status at the time of the power cycle which is why it checks the carrier voicemail and receives the icon in the top status bar.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just tested mine on T-Mobile. I first get the missed call icon. Then after a message is left I the little tape recorder icon indicating I have a voicemail. If you do not have too much on your phone yet, have you tried a factory reset?

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Just tested mine on T-Mobile. I first get the missed call icon. Then after a message is left I the little tape recorder icon indicating I have a voicemail. If you do not have too much on your phone yet, have you tried a factory reset?

I JUST got the phone yesterday LOL

I have been busy busy adding apps and stuff over the last 24 hours so I would really rather wait to see the results of my support ticket before doing a factory reset. Going through and setting up all your apps when moving from an iPhone to a Nexus is a bit of a PITA.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
use Google Voice "LITE" for you Voicemail! VVM, FREE TRANSCRIPTION, listen to messages on PC (Chrome Extension), and much more! -

Set up or Remove Google voicemail for your mobile phone

Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-1sx3qhtutyt40&cbrank=0

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
use Google Voice "LITE" for you Voicemail! VVM, FREE TRANSCRIPTION, listen to messages on PC (Chrome Extension), and much more! -

Set up or Remove Google voicemail for your mobile phone

Set Up Google voicemail on your phone

Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en&ctx=cb&src=cb&cbid=-1sx3qhtutyt40&cbrank=0

Thanks, I ran in to this post exact same instruction earlier. While this may or may not be a work around for me (as I am in Canada on a Carrier most of you aren't familiar with) I would like the stock functionality working as intended; which is what I paid for.

I do know the tape icon thing works (as per my power cycle comment) so it is just a question of getting it to work ALL the time and not just when then phone is turned on.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I JUST got the phone yesterday LOL

I have been busy busy adding apps and stuff over the last 24 hours so I would really rather wait to see the results of my support ticket before doing a factory reset. Going through and setting up all your apps when moving from an iPhone to a Nexus is a bit of a PITA.

You will get all your apps back, not to worry. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante