Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Default My Nexus 5 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216

I'm new to Android and obviously this LG Nexus 5. I'm concerned that it is sending these "STATUS" text messages on its own. If these are "Premium" texts, that could add up to significant costs. Any ideas what application or setting to look for ? Thanks.

My Nexus 5 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216-screenshot_2013-11-09-17-00-36.jpg

Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Default Re: My Nexus 5 is sending STATUS SMS to 9216

Quote Originally Posted by bbgolf View Post
    I'm new to Android and obviously this LG Nexus 5. I'm concerned that it is sending these "STATUS" text messages on its own. If these are "Premium" texts, that could add up to significant costs. Any ideas what application or setting to look for ? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-09-17-00-36.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	90913
    Wow, what the hell is that phone doing?! Alright, let's see if we can figure this out. First, please force stop the message app and clear all of the data. Second, uninstall any fishy apps you might have recently downloaded. Third, run this app. That's all I can think of at the moment without more information. What carrier do you have?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

I've force stopped Textra and cleared the data - I only installed it today as I wasn't thrilled with Hangouts. Fido is my carrier. It has not sent any sms since early this morning, strange. I will remove most of the apps I installed as they are not critical - the only one I really need is the BBM for work. After that I will run the scan from the program you reccomended. Thank you.

How old is your sim card? If it doesn't say LTE on it you may want to get an updated one.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

It is an LTE sim. I uninstalled every app I added except BBM. I ran the Security scan, no malicious items found. Will see what it does between now and the morning. Thanks.

Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock faux123

Quote Originally Posted by bbgolf View Post
    It is an LTE sim. I uninstalled every app I added except BBM. I ran the Security scan, no malicious items found. Will see what it does between now and the morning. Thanks.
    No problem, glad we could help

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

I think there is a problem with Textra. I read a review on the Textra Google Play app page, and someone was saying the same thing. He said that he installed Textra because he didn't want Hangouts handling his texting, and it was working fine but then he tried to send a text to a group of friends and the send failed. After that, his phone started sending garbage texts every hour to this group of friends without his intervention. He tried everything to get the texts to stop, uninstalling and even turning off his phone, but when he turned it back on, there were the texts. Once this reviewer said that he was still experiencing a problem after turning off his phone, I passed it off as someone not knowing what they were talking about. But now after reading this, I'm thinking there is something wrong with Textra that causes automatic texts to go out without user interaction.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

In my case it was happening in Hangouts first, yesterday I changed to Textra as it seemed to suit my needs better.

I also have a nexus 5 sending the same error, i am with Fido as well, i've had the phone since Nov.8 and this is the first time it has shown up (Nov. 11). I think it may be related to the visual voicemail app that fido provides, this is something i installed this afternoon. Do you have this installed?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ahak View Post
    I also have a nexus 5 sending the same error, i am with Fido as well, i've had the phone since Nov.8 and this is the first time it has shown up (Nov. 11). I think it may be related to the visual voicemail app that fido provides, this is something i installed this afternoon. Do you have this installed?
    I uninstalled all apps I put on including fido visual voicemail, and it stopped sending these. Now tonight I just put it back on to see if it would work. I'm going to take it back off now though.

I've yet to experience this automatic spam texting. I don't have any fido/visual voicemail apps installed, besides Google Voice. I'll keep an eye on it.

I have the same issue with the same phone which started right after I installed Visual Voice Mail Plus for Fido as well as YouMail.

I contacted Fido and asked them to turn off outgoing SMS until I figured it out. They advised me to contact LG.

LG advised me to contact Fido.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Kind of frustrating, I couldn't get VVM+ to work, can't get normal voicemail notifications. Hoping for a fix soon.

Posted via Android Central App

Everyone was talking up Textra that is a lot better than Hangout but after using Textra for a day I went back to 8SMS.

My nexus 4 is doing the same thing since going to 4.4 and I have Fido as well. Wondering what it could be
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Pfohl View Post
    My nexus 4 is doing the same thing since going to 4.4 and I have Fido as well. Wondering what it could be
    If you have the Fido Visual Voicemail app I would uninstall it till there is a fix.

i just got mine yesterday and had the same issue yes im on fido i did uninstall the app now waiting to see if it happens again

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I am using go sms pro with no problems
    Google Nexus 5

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0457572/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Last night I phoned Fido again. Told them I could not get Visual Voicemail Plus app working on my Fido HTC One S or my Google Nexus 5. VMM+ app would generate two warnings on launch - not subscribed and problem with service, it would also send SMS to 9216. I explained VMM worked perfectly on my BlackBerry Z10. He verified the VVM was active on my account, then he wiped out the vmm settings on my account, reset them while I rebooted my HTC One S, I received an SMS indicating VMM was ready to be setup, followed the link to downloaded the app, opened it (because it was already installed), prompted through the setup, then the app ran without any more warnings. Tested, it was working. Then I moved the SIM to my Nexus 5, launched Fido VMM+ app, original two warnings showed, then went away. I checked SMS - a couple STATUS SMS were sent to 9216, then one said Activate:dt=8, then two more STATUS SMS and that was it, no more STATUS texts have been sent. Phone will now display missed call, voice message icon (may be VMM+ icon not Nexus 5 icon ?), there is also a notification for VVM+. When I open the VVM+ app it shows any messages that were left, I can read them and play them.

Hope that might help others

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    Fido (2006) - IMDb

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Great movie!

I have a nexus 4 and my phone has been doing this as well since downloading Kitkat. I have Fido as well, but as someone who works for customer service at a phone company I know that there's nothing Fido can do to stop this. I did delete VVM off of my phone, after reading the forum but my VVM app doesn't work now after upgrading my value pack to the new voicemail to text option anyway. I have only received one voicemail since getting Kitkat though, and I believe I deleted it so there is something seriously wrong if this is voicemail related.

Also I DON'T have textra, the most recent downloaded app was quickoffice long before this error started. It was definitely kitkat that triggered this. The status SMS to 9216 seems to go out hourly. It's annoying. I hope Google and Fido fix whatever bad joojoos between them that seems to be causing this

Same issue here.

-Nexus 5 (not from Fido, from Google) [bootloader locked, unrooted]
    -Hangouts only SMS app installed
    -Fido VVM+ installed (but it still sucks)

The Status SMS has happened a couple separate times now. On mine it recently sent from my handset four (4) separate SMS messages:

STATUS
    Activate:dt=8

The last time it did it, it sent "STATUS" about 11 times.

Looking forward to an answer.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Hmmmmm, maybe you guys are victims of this: Google Nexus phones vulnerable to denial-of-service attack via SMS | PCWorld

The fix to that exploit can be found under the update portion of this: Text message exploit can force your Nexus phone to reboot (updated)

Just trying to help. Hope you guys resolve this.

I get this too.

I'm also with fido, have the voicemail app installed and kitkat. I think it only started happening after kitkat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast