Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  • 1 Post By AstroDoge
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus 5 - auto rotate not working

Can't get it to work. Restarted and toggled it on and off many times. Doesn't work in any app.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Google Nexus 5 - auto rotate not working

Are you talking about the widget? It doesnt work for me either. I have to manually go to the setting, then display and toggle the auto-rotation option.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

No like it doesn't work at all. I figured out the accelerometer is borked. Shows no movement on one axis so it never knows I'm trying to go landscape. RMA. :-(

same here, it works after a reboot, but I had 2 occasions now, where the screen just would not rotate anymore, also tried to use the accelerometer elsewhere and it did not work without a reboot...

Mines the same, works okay after a reboot for a while then accelerometer doesn't work? Are Google aware of this I wonder? Hope its a software fix!

Same situation with my Nexus 5. After a day or so of use, the screen will no longer rotate. It works fine after a power cycle.

Everyone, please post this issue on the Google products forum so that Google has knowledge of the problem.

Google Groups

I'm very suspicious and inclined to believe that there is an app compatibility issue involved here. Suggest you check the feedback for any motion sensing games you may have installed.

Uninstalling pressureNET fixed it for me. I believe any third party app that uses the barometer breaks the accelerometer, which then requires a power cycle.

Iam also facing same prblm tried many times rebooting the device still it's not working. uninstalled motion sensor games. someone has any solution for this probem.

I heard giving the phone a good strong whack work, but probably don't take my advice seriously.
    AstroDoge likes this.

In the dark it sometimes doesn't work for me until I realize I'm holding the phone upside down. Think it's going to take awhile before I'm used to the Nexus's symmetry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've just bought my nexus 5 (like the start of January) and I'm experiencing this issue. In any app like the browser, YouTube, anything, it just doesn't rotate at all. The only thing is, it stopped working, and then after a few resets it started working again. And now, you've guessed it. It stopped. Any ideas what all this is about or should get a replacement.

If you use any barometer apps to read the information off the barometer chip, it will cause rotation to no longer work. It's a known bug for a long time.

I haven't even used a barometer app on my nexus 5. It has just ceased to work.

Same problem here. I think I have narrowed it down to the "Snowfall Free" active wallpaper. Maybe it uses accelerometer or barometer? I'm not certain, but I couldn't get my accelerometers to work until I rebooted. This time, I tried changing wallpapers and instantly, the accelerometers started working again. Anyone else using an active wallpaper where changing it to a non-active makes the accelerometers start working?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I heard giving the phone a good strong whack work, but probably don't take my advice seriously.
    Got freaked out because the Nexus 5 I have is like the 4th RMA. Tried out your "give it a few whacks" idea and it worked. Thanks.

BTW: Slap the phone on your hand. DO NOT throw it to the ground.
    brosko likes this.

I dropped my nexus 5 few days back from a decent height by accident since then or probably from few days my auto rotate is not working...am really worried
    Please help me out!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Peterson View Post
    Can't get it to work. Restarted and toggled it on and off many times. Doesn't work in any app.

I literally fixed this problem with a couple hard smacks to the back of the phone. I have run accelerometer tests and it showed up down working but not side to side. Working great now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Peterson View Post

I literally slapped it pretty hard a few times and guess what! Its frekin working now!