Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By N4Newbie
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 1 Post By wpbfjr
  • 1 Post By palandri
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Netarchy CFS

Default Google Nexus 5 - auto brightness issue

The auto brightness on my N5 is really wonky, constantly adjusting up and down with no apparent change in ambient light. Is anyone else having this issue? I'm inclined to believe (and hope) that it's just a software issue, as things are much better with Lux installed.
    So... any input?

Default Re: Google Nexus 5 - auto brightness issue

I'm setting the same behaviour. It's like it pulsates up and down in brightness, really slowly, when I'm sitting on the couch reading an article. The light in the room is unchanged. I have not adjusted the screen settings.

I may wipe down the whole front panel. Get some water and clean that thing. Do a reboot. Cycle auto on and off. Then, if it's still doing it, boot into safe mode. If it's still doing it RMA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

I have had the same problem with every auto-brightness capable phone I have ever owned. Have it with the Nexus 5, had it with the Nexus 4, had it with an HTC Evo 4G. Etc.

The reality, in my opinion, is that auto-brightness is a good idea which just doesn't work well in real life. I have found that the slightest change in ambient lighting can trigger a response to the point of major annoyance. For example, if the room lighting is behind me, simply raising the phone from a table top so that I can look at it (or, alternatively, leaning over to look at the display) is enough to throw a slight shadow across the phone's sensor and thus initiate a brightness change. Or, in a dimly lit room while watching TV, the variation in light output from bright and not-so-bright scenes will also trigger the sensor. Heck, when lit from the front or above, even the reflection off my forehead seems to be able to trigger the sensor.

To sum up, do what I do: turn auto-brightness off and be done with it.
    palandri likes this.

I had the temporary brightness too one time last week. I have auto brightness turned off and the brightness between 20% and 30%.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    palandri likes this.

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

I am wondering if the lighting source makes a difference? incandescent bulbs vs led bulbs vs fluorescent vs energy efficient bulbs?

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk
    pardon me, i seem to have lost my mind in a reading comprehension accident...
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I have had the same problem with every auto-brightness capable phone I have ever owned. Have it with the Nexus 5, had it with the Nexus 4, had it with an HTC Evo 4G. Etc.

The reality, in my opinion, is that auto-brightness is a good idea which just doesn't work well in real life. I have found that the slightest change in ambient lighting can trigger a response to the point of major annoyance. For example, if the room lighting is behind me, simply raising the phone from a table top so that I can look at it (or, alternatively, leaning over to look at the display) is enough to throw a slight shadow across the phone's sensor and thus initiate a brightness change. Or, in a dimly lit room while watching TV, the variation in light output from bright and not-so-bright scenes will also trigger the sensor. Heck, when lit from the front or above, even the reflection off my forehead seems to be able to trigger the sensor.

To sum up, do what I do: turn auto-brightness off and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    I had the temporary brightness too one time last week. I have auto brightness turned off and the brightness between 20% and 30%.

I think you two are spot on. I've experienced the same thing with auto brightness on Symbian, Windows and Android. The best solution is to shut it off.
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wpbfjr View Post
    I am wondering if the lighting source makes a difference? incandescent bulbs vs led bulbs vs fluorescent vs energy efficient bulbs?

Probably, but if you turn auto brightness off you eliminate the problem

Quote Originally Posted by wpbfjr View Post

When it happened on mine the lighting source in the room is fluorescent.

I have never liked auto brightness. It never picks the right brightness and I hate that it's always changing. It shouldn't be changing without any movement or change of lighting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black