Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I take NEXUS 5 or G2 or Z1?

I am thinking of getting a new phone, but I can not decide which one of these three. There is something about each of them what I like. I know it is up to me but I would like to hear opinions from experts here.
    Nexus 5: I have never owned a nexus device so dont know if pure android is really that so much better then customized ui from other manufacturers. But what I like is ease of mod the device without problems, great support on xda, and fast updates
    Z1: Best looking smartphone, great design, and water/dust resistance but the viewing angles of the display are not so great from what I saw in store. The bigger size is not such an issue for me.
    G2: probably the best display I've ever seen on smartphone, great form factor, big screen
    So what do you think is the wisest choice out of these three? thanks for opinions guys.

Default Re: Should I take NEXUS 5 or G2 or Z1?

if you are lucky enough to be able to get your hands on a Nexus 5 - get the Nexus 5.

If you have never owned a Nexus device I would say got for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
    If you have never owned a Nexus device I would say got for that.
    +1

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

Not sure how the others are with updates but they are nowhere near a nexus. You can customize the UI as you want. I think everyone should have a Nexus for the updates if nothing else but the Nexus 5 is a very good device.
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I say nexus 5 or g2. That g2 display IS insane. You'd probably be always pumped to look at it that being said the nexus is a good device as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Doesn't the nexus 5 and G2 have the same type of screen?

Posted via The one, The only, The Nexus 5

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Nexus 5, once you go vanilla android you won't look back believe me. The Nexus might not have a specific killer feature, but it's one of those phones that you take out of the boxe and everything just works well. It's an all around good device.

Personally the devices that lasted the longest with me are the nexus devices. For some reason my other android phones always had issues and I am sure it has to do with software.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Was all set on the 5 until I walked out of the store 2 days ago with the Z1. Zero regrets and an amazing phone. Of course I'm not only bias but this is also a n5 forum

FWIW before now I was a nexus only fan and I still prefer my Z1 but I also own the N7 whenever I want a stock fix so I'm also going to have kit kat ASAP. Sony just announced kit kat will be on their 2013 phones soon

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for all your opinions, it is a pity that 32 gb version of nexus 5 is not available in country where I live :/ The biggest selling point of n5 for me is the 4.4 kitkat and development on xda....without these two things I would not even consider it god damn it ...why there have to be so many good phones

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trekk View Post
    Nexus 5, once you go vanilla android you won't look back believe me. The Nexus might not have a specific killer feature, but it's one of those phones that you take out of the boxe and everything just works well. It's an all around good device.

Personally the devices that lasted the longest with me are the nexus devices. For some reason my other android phones always had issues and I am sure it has to do with software.

I'd say its 5" IPS screen is a killer feature. And it's specs too, a 2.3Ghz CPU.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Other phones have the same specs. Only device which has really useful killer feature is Z1 with its IP58 certification. No other flagship has it.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Cold_Q View Post
    Doesn't the nexus 5 and G2 have the same type of screen?

Posted via The one, The only, The Nexus 5
    Same type but not the same. Held side by side they look different. G2 is cooler in tone where as the n5 screen is warmer. So whites look a little yellowish on the n5. I prefer cooler tones so to my eye the g2 is more pleasing side by side.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Z1

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Nexus5. Fin.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was choosing between these phones and the Note 3 and decided on the G2 due to the combination of bright screen and long battery life. As I saw it here were the differences, use them to decide which is best for you.

G2
    + Brightest screen
    + Great battery life
    + Buttons on back I love
    + Camera software
    +/- Might get more updates since it's LG like the N5
    - Quieter speaker than Note 3 and Z1

Z1
    + Water resistant
    + Loud speaker
    - Square form not comfortable to hold

N5
    + software updates
    + Gorilla Glass 3
    + price
    - Square form
    - Bad battery life

Sent from my LG G2
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkey77 View Post
    I was choosing between these phones and the Note 3 and decided on the G2 due to the combination of bright screen and long battery life. As I saw it here were the differences, use them to decide which is best for you.

G2
    + Brightest screen
    + Great battery life
    + Buttons on back I love
    + Camera software
    +/- Might get more updates since it's LG like the N5
    - Quieter speaker than Note 3 and Z1
    - LG UI is fugly

Z1
    + Water resistant
    + Loud speaker
    +/- Square form not comfortable to hold but good for gaming and videos in landscape
    +Sony apps and UI are one of the best and most refined OEM Android forks. Too many details to list here
    +Camera is a 20mpx monster that easily competes with the best smartphone cams around (reviewers saying otherwise need to L2 use camera settings)
    +Excellent battery life

N5
    + software updates
    + Gorilla Glass 3
    + price
    + not a lot of fancy extra features but zero bloatware or useless gimmicks
    - Square form
    - Bad battery life

Sent from my LG G2
    Made a few changes to even out the short selling you did

Take the Z1. Amazing device, N5 feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to it. I have both, but I will be sending back the N5.

Lol have you even held or used a Z1?
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Go easy on him, most of the pleasantries I found on my phone weren't until I had it home and was able to dive into it more deeply. You also have to remember that Sony Phones get very very little coverage in American tech media outlets because none of their carriers sell it and because of that you also won't find hardly any forum activity here for Sony phones because very few Americans own them. Which is a damn shame really because The Z1 is everything compared to the latest competition that the earlier Z and ZL weren't. I wouldn't have ever chosen a Z vs the HTC1, Moto X, or GS4 (their main competition in Q2 2013) because frankly it fell short of those in both hardware and software. But the Z1 is neck in neck with the Q4 phones the G2 , Note 3, and N5

I have a Nexus 5 and just got my wife the G2 from sprint. Honestly, speed is the same but battery life is a huge factor. The G2 lasts so much longer that you don't have to think about it. I unfortunately do envy her phone.

However, my T-Mobile lte blows by her sprint service

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Intersting about the Z1. Is it LTE ready for AT&T?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

OK, my choices has shrunk to G2 or Z1, thanks for opinions...finally i have to make a decision because I am tired of this already

PS: nexus 5 is a quite expensive here ( i am from czech republic). The price of 16 gb version ( 32 gb is not available here and probably wont be :/ ) is almost the same as price of Lg G2 16 gb ( 32 gb is not available too ) If i buy 32 gb G2 from US ebay seller, the price is same as nexus 5 16 gb here in czech rep.
    Last edited by captf0r3st; 11-11-2013 at 04:09 AM.

I've had a Nexus 4 for a year now and I ordered the Nexus 5, but after reading that the battery life is still about the same, I cancelled that order and I bought a new unlocked G2 for $70 more.

I REALLY wanted kitkat and I loved all the updates and the lack of bloatware on the N4, but for my personal use, the N4 just didn't have the battery life I needed. If battery life in the N4 was fine for me, I would have definitely gone with the N5.

Asides phone calls, what do you use your phone for?
    I tend to take a lot of pictures. So a camera for me is the 2nd most important thing.
    IF it's a camera look at the Z1 and then G2. I just took some pics with the G2 in different settings.
    If you are into music the Z1 then G2 and then N5.
    Sony's music playback quality is awesome plus they have a microSD expansion slot and the phone is waterproof.
    These are two things no other phone in this list has.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast