Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    7,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Yes, apparently ART has a noticeable (positive) affect in battery life

Quote Originally Posted by MarqBland View Post
    I switched to Art yesterday and had to return to Dalvik. I had my phone connected to my bluetooth speaker and streaming radio in Google Play Music. The phone would either restart every few songs or would go into the Nexus boot screen but the music would keep playing. I haven't modified the phone at all. I will note that it didn't seem to happen when I played music that was stored locally, only when streaming music in Google Play (I didn't try streaming in any other apps). Anyone else have an issue like that? Other than that, I've never had a problem with the phone, so I just returned it to Dalvik and haven't had any issues.
    That's one of the issues with ART. It's not playing nice with certain apps, features and or mods. That's an issue of apps not being designed for the system and the result is force closures and crashes like you are having.
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Default Re: Yes, apparently ART has a noticeable (positive) affect in battery life

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    That's one of the issues with ART. It's not playing nice with certain apps, features and or mods. That's an issue of apps not being designed for the system and the result is force closures and crashes like you are having.
    Not too worried, it should be good to go around the time it hits carrier phones as a finished product

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Yep which is why I didn't get bothered by it. I can't wait until it's fully cooked though!
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I thought it was self evident that this was good. Over 19 hours with over 50% display time and still 20% left.
    Apparently some readers aren't able to follow the logical flow....
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    Hopefully WhatsApp updates soon to support ART.
    Until then, I unfortunately can't use ART.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Android OG

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    WOW! That is super! How much did your available storage decrease. This looks pretty promising.
    4.3 Gb of Storage space for app cache. Nothing major. Android os takes up 6 itself. This still leave a good 30gb free. I don't really notice a difference on ART. I switched immediately after receiving KK. I did notice that the phone was faster for the few minutes that I used KK before I flipped the switch, so I have no reason to believe that ART is causing the speed increase or if it was KK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie4sho View Post
    Are you guys actually sure its Art that's making your batteries last longer and not the fact that you all have a new device that needs to be conditioned. I mean as your conditioning your new phone batteries, for every charge and discharge you are going to see an improvement. Perhaps everyone should have conditioned there batteries at least for a week or so before switching to this Art mode.

Yes, ART increases battery life since it does less CPU work each and every time you start a App or anything runs on your phone. Is it a major increase don't think so. But it is a nice increase that will extend your battery time. I stopped charging the N5 every day now that I used Art. How much your battery does depends on how you use your phone and how many Apps you start. If you only run a few Apps and leave them open in the back ground then it won't increase your battery as much as how some other people use their phone.

ART uses the cpu far less than dalvik in everyday use that extends the battery. Dalvik has to covert portable bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone every time you start up an App. ART converts all the Apps bytecode into executable code for the specific CPU in your phone just one time and stored it that way as a App ready to run in the CPU. So your App will never have to ever take that extra CPU step ever again under ART.

ART improves battery life, but is more noticeable when the phone is idling, as it simply controls background apps better and more efficiently. Changed mine to ART and there is definitely a faster response from apps opening, nothing drastic but I can see a difference. Nice feature to be able to switch over imo.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234