Would you rather have

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
This was an issue that I looked at long and hard over the last week.

I went with the Nexus 5 but not really because of the price; the Galaxy S4 has massive bloatware apparently, taking up almost half of the 16gb internal card AND apps etc. can not be stored on the expandable 64gb card which means you can fill that phone up quite quickly. I also looked at crash tests, drop tests, hardware tests etc. which led me to believe that while the Galaxy S4 might be a beast of a machine it is still a glass cannon. Also dealing with Samsung on RMA stuff is extremely difficult.

Now, on top of that I was able to save $300 over 2 years by NOT being on a Contract to Virgin Mobile AND buying the 32gb Nexus 5 for full price from Google Play.

Just the input of a noob / former iPhone guy so take it for what its worth.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
What if they all sold for the same price of $399 for 32GB; Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, HTC One GPE?
This is not the case but "what if"?
I have the Nexus 5 and there is a lot to like about it but no phone is perfect.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
What if they all sold for the same price of $399 for 32GB; Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, HTC One GPE?
This is not the case but "what if"?
I have the Nexus 5 and there is a lot to like about it but no phone is perfect.

S4.

You can still remove the battery and add storage.

Something ALL phones should have as standard.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Would you rather have the HTC one Google play gs4 Google play or nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Im sure some of this is the novelty effect, but I have both the GPE S4 and the N5, and the latter has been--And may remain--my new go to device. The battery life was my primary concern before launch, and thus far im getting *better* battery life with my N5 than my S4 ever got. I can honestly say having used both now I wouldn't hesitate to buy the N5 over the S4 if I was in the market for a single device. No bloatware on either obviously, so no worries there...slightly faster updates with the Nexus, but who's gonna fuss over a few weeks difference?...you will give up some quality in the camera and speaker dept with the Nexus, though, so if those things matter, the S4 or HTC One is the better bet.

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 I love my Nexus 5 just the power button being wobbly is an issue but I also had a GS4 nothing beats stock Android

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 5.

HTC One has a worse camera IMO. If you look at comparisons, it tends to be more washed out on the same shots and has half the MP...I know MP is not everything, but it does matter if you are Zooming (cropping). For that reason I think I'd want at least 8MP. The only thing about the One that I like over the nexus 5 is the external speakers. But that would not be worth sacrificing CPU power or Camera Quality.

The GS4 is an excellent phone. I have never been able to get over the home button. A physical home button just seems clunky to me. The Camera and CPU are also lacking. It does have SD, which I envy, and a removable battery, which I envy even more. GS4 camera is horrible in low light.

I complained loudly about soft-buttons when they first came out, but they have grown on me. It is nice having the buttons be in a persistent place when you rotate the phone. They are definitely more responsive than physical buttons. The Nexus 5 is certain to get updates weeks (at least) before the other two. The nexus 5 definitely has a faster CPU than either phone, and has the best touch-response of any Android phone I have used so far. The UI is just perfectly smooth on it. It does not hurt that the Nexus 5 is half the price.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This was an issue that I looked at long and hard over the last week.

I went with the Nexus 5 but not really because of the price; the Galaxy S4 has massive bloatware apparently, taking up almost half of the 16gb internal card AND apps etc. can not be stored on the expandable 64gb card which means you can fill that phone up quite quickly. I also looked at crash tests, drop tests, hardware tests etc. which led me to believe that while the Galaxy S4 might be a beast of a machine it is still a glass cannon. Also dealing with Samsung on RMA stuff is extremely difficult.

Now, on top of that I was able to save $300 over 2 years by NOT being on a Contract to Virgin Mobile AND buying the 32gb Nexus 5 for full price from Google Play.

Just the input of a noob / former iPhone guy so take it for what its worth.

The op said s4 google edition which has no bloat and is a fantastic device.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The op said s4 google edition which has no bloat and is a fantastic device.

Ahhhh Thank you for the clarification; I am an Android Noob.

However, that still doesn't solve the SD issue, but if you got a response for that one I'm all ears.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I sold my S4 gpe and it was fantastic. The ONLY reason I sold it was because I was not convinced that Samsung Google was going to support the SD card going forward. The update to 4.3 broke 3rd party apps writing and deleting to the SD card but there were workaround available but who knows for how long.

I opted for the Nexus 5 because of 32 GB storage and no SD card.
But I must say the S4 Google Edition is a sweet device!

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I gave my GS4 Google Edition to my wife when I received the Nexus 5. I love the Nexus 5, but the display doesn't even come close to the GS4's.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I gave my GS4 Google Edition to my wife when I received the Nexus 5. I love the Nexus 5, but the display doesn't even come close to the GS4's.

I have both the S4 and the N5(and the One too) and to me the N5's display is the sweet spot between the S4 and One. The One is bright and crisp but darker colors are VERY washed out. The S4 has lush colors but even on max brightness it can be difficult to see outdoors sometimes. Whereas the N5 is very bright with excellent color reproduction. I can see it easily outdoors with sun glasses on.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have both the S4 and the N5(and the One too) and to me the N5's display is the sweet spot between the S4 and One. The One is bright and crisp but darker colors are VERY washed out. The S4 has lush colors but even on max brightness it can be difficult to see outdoors sometimes. Whereas the N5 is very bright with excellent color reproduction. I can see it easily outdoors with sun glasses on.

The S4 is definitely not that great in sunlight.

On a different note, do you think you have enough phones? ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae