moto x or nexus 5?

Zay92

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
They are relatively close to each other with minor but also big difference here and there.. I'm on tmobile and not planning on spending 500 on a cell phone unless it was worth it. So what do y'all think?

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
They are relatively close to each other with minor but also big difference here and there.. I'm on tmobile and not planning on spending 500 on a cell phone unless it was worth it. So what do y'all think?

Equally priced your choice would be a bit more difficult but with a 150 lower price tag the n5 is the easy winner.

Sent from my Nexus 5

funcrusher

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have the moto x. I'm over the nexus line, tbh. I understand cutting costs here and there to keep the price down, but I'd rather pay more for a device that isn't lacking in basic functions. Moto x seems like the best of both worlds. I can't even take videos of my daughter because the nexus 4 mic is such a piece of shut your mouth. I hear the speaker is pretty horrible on the 5.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dandorato

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I have and use both.

Here is the pro's of the MotoX. The Active Display (awesome feature), the Camera (VERY FAST!) and the always listening mode. I also think the battery is better - but not sure.

The cons. Still has carrier cruft, also wont be quick for updates. Everything has to be carrier approved.

The N5.... As pure Google as you can get. It's fast. Camera quality is better. The price. If you are not on Verizon you are crazy not to get it.

The Cons. Camera is SLOW. Painfully slow. Build quality is not what I expected (Could be better).

Any more questions?

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I have and use both.

Here is the pro's of the MotoX. The Active Display (awesome feature), the Camera (VERY FAST!) and the always listening mode. I also think the battery is better - but not sure.

The cons. Still has carrier cruft, also wont be quick for updates. Everything has to be carrier approved.

The N5.... As pure Google as you can get. It's fast. Camera quality is better. The price. If you are not on Verizon you are crazy not to get it.

The Cons. Camera is SLOW. Painfully slow. Build quality is not what I expected (Could be better).

Any more questions?

Now that MotoMaker has been opened up to all carriers I am really having a hard time deciding between these two. Yes cost is a factor but I'd rather have a phone that I was happy with for 2 years regardless of cost. I like stock android and unlocked phones so the Nexus 5 and Moto X are really my only serious choices. My main reason for considering the moto x over the nexus 5 is overall phone size. I guess I have to see one in person but I'm worried the Nexus 5 will be too big for me.

I know other reviews have commented on this but in your opinion how would you rate camera quality on both phones (post moto x update). Also how was chrome use on the moto x? Chrome has always been the most challenging task I submit my phone to and I'm concerned that within a year chrome will be slow on the moto x the way it is now on my gnex and old Nexus 7 2012.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X lets you customize the case (which is very cool) and has always-on functionality that the Nexus 5 will never be able to have (because you need an AMOLED display for it to really work).

If those things are important to you, get the Moto X. The Moto X really is a good phone. But in every other way, the Nexus 5 is better. Better CPU, better display, better camera, true vanilla android. And it is cheaper.

The camera on the nexus 5 is slow mostly because of software...it is not a hardware limitation. That means it will evenutally be fixed (via a 3rd party app if nothing else). Here are some sample shots I took:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...era-photos-videos-thoughts-5.html#post3231068
and
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...era-photos-videos-thoughts-4.html#post3224238

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I like stock android and unlocked phones so the Nexus 5 and Moto X are really my only serious choices.
The moto X is as close to stock as you can get without being stock IMO. If I was on Verizon I'd seriously consider it for that reason alone.

I know other reviews have commented on this but in your opinion how would you rate camera quality on both phones (post moto x update).
I have not seen a lot of low light or macro shots from the Moto X. The nexus 5 does well in both those areas. It also has very little noise and does well on gradients.

The Moto X will probably be noticeably faster on most shots. But this is a software thing, and software can be upgraded. Hardware can't.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I have used both and they are both awesome. If active notifications are important and the phone always listening, get the moto x. If the latest OS is important, bigger more high resolution screen, get the nexus. I love both phones but if I had to choose, I would go with the nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My .02 cents. Cannot go wrong with either.

I got my Nexus 5 last week and have been using it as my daily driver. Missing some things about my Moto X but I committed to 2 weeks to give my Nexus 5 a fair shake. So far the Nexus has performed well. I made some notes on some areas in which these devices offer a better experience in my opinion.

Moto X Pros

Active Notifications- They are just so useful. I installed dynamic notifications and they are better than nothing but not the same. Also REALLY miss my clock and lock screen coming up when I pick up my Moto X.
Touchless Controls- Just so useful to be able to use this feature with the screen off.
Battery Life- The Moto X is a brute on the battery life.
Heft and feel in the hand- The Moto X shape and weight combine to make it feel better in the hand.
Stock Camera App- From the twist opening to the interface, I just like it better.
Speaker- No contest here, the Moto X just blows the Nexus speaker out of the water.

Nexus 5 Pros

Larger full HD screen with larger icons- Nice beautiful screen. Offers a nice experience for reading and browsing and netflix etc.
Android 4.4 Kit kat- Lots of improvements and Google Now is more tightly integrated. The best android OS going.
Faster OS updates- The hallmark of a Nexus. If this is important to you, keep this in mind. Many say the Moto will be updated quickly, but not like a Nexus.
Google Wallet- Just something I use often. Simple to use and works fine on the Nexus 5.
Better Call Quality (from earpiece)- Calls have been surprisingly strong and clear!
Wireless Charging- Another thing I like to use. It is simple to have my charging mat and just top off if needed without working about a cord.
Off Contract Price- Can be a big factor to some. Both of mine are 32GB models and I paid $445 for the Nexus and $574 for the Moto X with tax and shipping

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Having owned both, I'd go with the Moto X. 720p vs 1080p isn't that huge of a leap and the colors are much more vibrant on the X. The battery life is better on the X. Totally subjective, but the in-hand feel on the X is ridiculous. Outside of the HTC One, you don't get much better than it. If you're interested in benchmarks, the Nexus is the way to go. Real-world performance, especially if it's aided by KitKat in the very near future, is not that much different. The camera is better on the 5, although right now I'd probably lean towards the X because of the horrendous shutter lag/focus speed on the 5. It'll get fixed in an update at some point, I'm assuming. The speaker is much better on the Moto X if that concerns you.

It's the software features that set the Moto X apart. Active Notifications and Touchless Controls are both extremely useful. Moto Assist is useful. All these things improve upon stock Android as opposed to tarnish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair