Nexus 5 vs HTC One?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Laptop said "The Nexus 5's viewing angles also aren't as generous; images looked a bit washed-out by comparison." It also said it was just as bright as the S4 at 439 lux
Engadget said "the colors aren't quite as rich on the Nexus; the whites aren't as white, the blacks aren't as black and colors generally aren't as vibrant" when compared to other flagship phones.
The screen on my S4 is great but the screen on the One is the best I have seen, not by much though which is why I chose the bigger screen.
Doesn't matter what we say now anyway, OP decided on the One :p

I read the reviews and was just pointing out how 2 supposed professional review sites can up with the opposite opinion(on viewing angles) just like me and you can argue over which screen is best. Let's have an honest moment, all 3 are REALLY good.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
After it's all said and done, just being a user trying to get things done the camera on the HTC One blows away the Nexus 5 camera, not necessarily on picture quality, I'd call them matched, but on camera speed the Nexus 5 is terrible. Capturing rapid fire photo's on the One is so epic, trying to do anything close on the Nexus is actually just not possible. And the next biggest difference is the cost. The Nexus 5 is about 40% less expensive. I was living in fear that I'd damage the Developer Edition One or get it stolen and then it would be irreplaceable, having a much less expensive device, that's going to be readily replaceable over the next year for not too much money, relatively speaking.

I'd say those are the two biggest issues, everything else is livable.

Tie: I started off using the speakers, but traded that for aftershokz headphones.
Tie: screens quality
Tie: build quality
Tie: system speed
Tie: network speed
Tie: software package, kit kat is not so interesting that you can't live without it for another few months
Tie: battery life
Tie: GPS seems to be a little faster and more capable on the Nexus, but it works tolerably on the One

In the end, go with personal preference. HTC isn't going to completely shutdown in the next 18 months, so you'll still be able to get parts or warranty service for a while. Google's customer service is reportedly pretty rough, as is typical for an internet company. So either way the company's have challenges. But the hardware they've setup is really nice.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I read the reviews and was just pointing out how 2 supposed professional review sites can up with the opposite opinion(on viewing angles) just like me and you can argue over which screen is best. Let's have an honest moment, all 3 are REALLY good.
I haven't seen the screen on the N5 in person. I was just mentioning what some of the reviews say but at 445 ppi I can't imagine I'd hate it. I also love the screen on the S4 which a lot of people hated because it was "oversaturated"

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people like to go naked, just like me, so having something you like is better. Although my phone is plastic...
The speakers are not a gimmick, I do use headphones but mostly when I'm in public. If I'm at home or showing friends/family a video the speakers in the front would be a juge plus.
Again, the screen on the One is probably the best available. I haven't seen the N5's screen in person but basically every review is saying it is washed out.
I've seen people get upwards of 6 hours of screen time on their One. Good luck getting even 4 on the N5
The N5's pics are decent at best. I don't like the camera on the one much but it performs about as well in good lighting and blows the N5 away in low light.
The One is getting Kit Kat within the next couple months, it has Sense anyway so that's pretty much insignificant. If you really care about what version you're on, you can always flash a custom ROM.

I would have to disagree with your statements of the camera. Every single shot I have seen from both phones in low light, the Nexus 5 was actually brighter, sharper, and had less noise than the HTC.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I would have to disagree with your statements of the camera. Every single shot I have seen from both phones in low light, the Nexus 5 was actually brighter, sharper, and had less noise than the HTC.

I generally agree with you but the N5 take FOREVER to focus in low light whereas the One is blazing fast in all situations.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it definitely takes a long time to focus and take the picture, but the end result is much better on the N5.

The interface and speed is much better on the One as of right now, but these are things that can/probably will be fixed via software update for the Nexus 5. How they released it knowing how laggy and slow their camera was is beyond me, but that's kind of par for the course with Nexus devices.

On a brighter note, the Nexus 5 (or the S800 specifically) seems to handle LTE very efficiently. The power drain is very minimal. That should help with some of the concerns over battery life, although expecting anything more than average just given the battery size is pointless. It isn't the Note 3 or G2, but it's manageable.

fz1jmp

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I felt I had to chime in on this one, instead of sitting on the sideline and watching. I bought the One the day it came out and came from an IP5 and I could not be happier. I actually have a N5 on order, to be delivered Nov. 21. I love the google experience, hence my purchase, but it has to overcome a pretty hefty challenger or else its my sons.
Here are my impressions of the One;

I liked Sense, but I love love my GPe 4.3 ROM with pieces of KitKat. I can't express how much I like the ROM I'm running. Swipe to on/off, popup notifications, volume on, power management, I can go on and on, but I have to say with every update I'm amazed there can be any improvements.
I get all day battery use with moderate to heavy use. The screen is sharp and crisp. I run viper4android and that makes the sound that comes out of the speakers very very good. I mean when tweaked, it sounds like a decent mid level setup. I've been into audio for 40+ years and have an excellent home system. While not quite in that league, this holds its own. I mean I get honest separation via the 2 speakers and with some features of v4a, it sounds excellent. I'm not sure the N5 can match the audio, but again its all your requirements.
Camera is decent, I've caught some nice shots, nothing to beat a slr, but i've been happy with it. I've not been disappointed by a shot and said to myselve, oh man this shot sucks.
I do have a case on mine and would on a N5, thats just me. However it does not really take away from enjoying the build quality.
After all this you may say, so why you get a N5? Well, I like the google world abhor carrier bloat and like what the N5 has in terms of hardware and software. I will try it for a few weeks, just pull out my sim and drop it in. I will root it of course, I like some root features, but will not flash a ROM, that would be insane.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the screen on the N5 in person. I was just mentioning what some of the reviews say but at 445 ppi I can't imagine I'd hate it. I also love the screen on the S4 which a lot of people hated because it was "oversaturated"
The display is the best I have seen so far on any phone. Some people think the screen looks washed out because they are comparing it to phones with heavy saturation. But most reviews I have seen have commented on the accurate color reproduction of the N5.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well the Nexus 5 has the things that matter to me.

Larger screen N5 4.95" vs HTC1 4.7"
Price the N5 is 40% cheaper than the HTC1 ( I will never be locked into a network contract again now that I am FREE AT LAST)
Faster CPU processor.
Current Android update version.
Camera more Mpix N5 8-MP vs HTC1 4-Mpix ( but both phones are quality images and I still have my SLR if I was taking real pictures) However, I love the HDR + mode on the N5 that my SLR doesn't support.

If I cared about a boom sound speaker then I would get a blue-tooth remote speakers. But if I am going to listen to music it will be with headphones or blue-tooth over my cars speakers. I have never used a phones speakers for more than a phone call. Also, there are few places that you could even use the loud speakers in public without everyone looking at you like you are a jerk.

Aluminum isn't a quality metal to me for a phone's case. Give me titanium that doesn't scratch or scuff like a soft metal like aluminum, if you want to talk about a quality case. Titanium would make a better case than aluminum since titanium is stronger, lighter and a poor conductor of heat and electricity. If you are naked then the N5 plastic back is a better grip, doesn't heat up when using the phone and is pretty scratch resistant and plastic doesn't dent like aluminum. Really don't care since I will be using a case since the glass is what breaks on a phone.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The display is the best I have seen so far on any phone. Some people think the screen looks washed out because they are comparing it to phones with heavy saturation. But most reviews I have seen have commented on the accurate color reproduction of the N5.
Unmeasurable contrast lol. I prefer the saturated look and how deep the black gets :D

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Unmeasurable contrast lol. I prefer the saturated look and how deep the black gets :D

While I love the nexus 5 display, the super amoled on my note 3 still looks best because of that saturation and deep black, but both displays overall are very good. No complaints.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, so do I. But it comes at the cost of accurate color reproduction.

If a nexus 5 Franco Kernel becomes available, I will root just so I can get the option to adjust gamma. It made a huge difference on my Nexus 4.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I beginning to wonder if some of the mixed reviews about the N5 screen are due to inconsistent build issues. I just recieved my white Nexus 5 and the screen doesn't look as good as my black Nexus 5. If I just had the white one first and nothing to compare it to, I probably would notice the difference. The screen on my black Nexus 5 looks just as good as the HTC One IMO, I just didn't mention it because everyone had different opinions, now I'm wondering if there is something to this.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, so do I. But it comes at the cost of accurate color reproduction.

If a nexus 5 Franco Kernel becomes available, I will root just so I can get the option to adjust gamma. It made a huge difference on my Nexus 4.
I don't really mind if they aren't "accurate" the only things I do on my phone are text, call, and use some forums apps as well as some web surfing.
I occasionally watch Netflix on my phone so that's about the only time the accuracy matters and it doesn't bother me :)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't really mind if they aren't "accurate" the only things I do on my phone are text, call, and use some forums apps as well as some web surfing.
I occasionally watch Netflix on my phone so that's about the only time the accuracy matters and it doesn't bother me :)
I'm a graphics nerd. So it is an OCD thing with me. I agree that it is not a big deal from a practical perspective...for most people, "close' is good enough.

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people like to go naked, just like me, so having something you like is better. Although my phone is plastic...
The speakers are not a gimmick, I do use headphones but mostly when I'm in public. If I'm at home or showing friends/family a video the speakers in the front would be a juge plus.
Again, the screen on the One is probably the best available. I haven't seen the N5's screen in person but basically every review is saying it is washed out.I've seen people get upwards of 6 hours of screen time on their One. Good luck getting even 4 on the N5The N5's pics are decent at best. I don't like the camera on the one much but it performs about as well in good lighting and blows the N5 away in low light.
The One is getting Kit Kat within the next couple months, it has Sense anyway so that's pretty much insignificant. If you really care about what version you're on, you can always flash a custom ROM.

If you've never even seen the phone, let alone used it, how exactly do you know how much screen time it gets?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If you've never even seen the phone, let alone used it, how exactly do you know how much screen time it gets?

I've seen tons of pics of battery stats. Best I was 3 hours with about 1 hour of talk time. I'd say that might add up to 4 hours of screen time over the 13 hour period that was shown in the stats. It's not bad but it's nothing to write home about...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech