Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Hi,

    My BMW supports the reading of email and text messages via the in-car display, it works a treat with my BlackBerry.

    It apparently uses 'Bluetooth MAP Profile' to achieve this, something stock Android doesn't support ... up until now?

    In the bug for this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=40763 the last comment suggests that Android 4.4 adds this functionality.

    Has anyone with a Nexus 5 tried this? Does it work?

    Hoping so ... and then can't wait for the 4.4 upgrade for my N4!

    Thanks
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet but I do know that when I paired my phone with my Toyota that MAP was one of the profiles that was created in the pairing.
  3. #3  
    rhea's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Yes. It works on my Ford Sync. Sent and received messages today. Assuming it's a Kit Kat thing so maybe N4 and Galaxy Nexus will work once updated.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    I really was hoping N5 4.4 supports this...UPS delivery is today! will re-post with confirmation...my 2012 Honda CR-V NAV has that function as well and was working good with my Sony Xperia ZL...makes things a lot safer on the road and legal where I live if you really need to check a message
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Just wanted to confirm Bluetooth MAP is working great so far in my vehicle :-)

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  
    bbgolf's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    Yes. It works on my Ford Sync. Sent and received messages today. Assuming it's a Kit Kat thing so maybe N4 and Galaxy Nexus will work once updated.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Did you have any problems downloading the phonebook ? My Ford Sync offered to download, the Nexus 5 asked for permission, but then it did not download any of my contacts. I have deleted and added the phone a couple times with the same result. I have the basic My Ford Sync, no touch screen or anything like that. I did not have this issue with my Z10 device.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    So what exactly does Bluetooth map allow us to do? Does it allow us to actually be read and send text messages through the cars voice recognition system?
  8. #8  
    bbgolf's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    In my vehicle, it allows My Ford Sync to notify me when an SMS is received and I can tell it to read the text message and it will through the vehicles sound system. Other vehicle audio systems can use MAP to do the same with email messages as well.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  
    rhea's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by bbgolf View Post
    Did you have any problems downloading the phonebook ? My Ford Sync offered to download, the Nexus 5 asked for permission, but then it did not download any of my contacts. I have deleted and added the phone a couple times with the same result. I have the basic My Ford Sync, no touch screen or anything like that. I did not have this issue with my Z10 device.
    I have the phone book. It could have been left from my n4. I have the touch screen model.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  10. #10  
    rhea's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by jalan94 View Post
    So what exactly does Bluetooth map allow us to do? Does it allow us to actually be read and send text messages through the cars voice recognition system?
    You can also reply with built-in stock phrases. I can't because it distracts me (even with voice commands), but it is a feature.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    I have a Moto X that played very nicely with my BMW 5 series with iDrive, including both text and email messages... Until I upgraded to kitkat. Now only sms but no email. I have an HTC One as well with 4.2 that works a treat and also reads email. Had an N5 and mywife has an S4 with 4.3 - neither of those will show email, only sms. Very odd.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by matchtrader2000 View Post
    I have a Moto X that played very nicely with my BMW 5 series with iDrive, including both text and email messages... Until I upgraded to kitkat. Now only sms but no email. I have an HTC One as well with 4.2 that works a treat and also reads email. Had an N5 and mywife has an S4 with 4.3 - neither of those will show email, only sms. Very odd.
    Droid MAXX and 2014 BMW 3 series worked flawlessly until 4.4, now only phone. No call history, email, or SMS. Pick up a SMS message from before from the car's memory. Voice in a new reply... Goes no where. New phone and new car but no joy. Any suggestions?

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerguy14 View Post
    Droid MAXX and 2014 BMW 3 series worked flawlessly until 4.4, now only phone. No call history, email, or SMS. Pick up a SMS message from before from the car's memory. Voice in a new reply... Goes no where. New phone and new car but no joy. Any suggestions?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Deleted pairing on both ends, let the phone find the car instead of other way around. Works now... Holding tongue correct, CHECK!!

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerguy14 View Post
    Deleted pairing on both ends, let the phone find the car instead of other way around. Works now... Holding tongue correct, CHECK!!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well apparently not so much. Worked for a while but not anymore....Sigh

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  
    zach471's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerguy14 View Post
    Well apparently not so much. Worked for a while but not anymore....Sigh

    Posted via Android Central App
    is there any chance you're using the stock messaging app or Hangouts for your SMS? I tried a different app, and it seemed to work.

    BTW, I'm using a Moto X w/ 4.4.2
  16. #16  
    zach471's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Any updates on this? Mine stopped working again.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Was using a Note 3, and now a Galaxy S5, both 4.4 (and in the case of the Note, 4.3, then 4.4). Same result -- text, contacts and phone all good, but no email.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    I have a Droid MAXX with the 4.4 update, I have a Ford Sync version1 that used to read text messages outloud before the 4.4 update and hasn't worked since. I use the default messaging program. Does anyone know if switching to using hangouts will fix this?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Bluetooth MAP Profile

    Hey guys! Just updated my Moto X to 4.4.4 and it looks like it broke the message connectivity on my 2014 Toyota Rav4. Phone and music over Bluetooth still works and I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting with no luck.

    Anyone find a solution for the bluetooth issues yet?
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Android KitKat set language for Bluetooth voice dial
    By Marc Robillard in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM
  2. Galaxy tab 2.0 with 4.2.2 Android - No Bluetooth
    By Steve Ruder in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 06:00 AM
  3. Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitors
    By chrisoldroyd in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  4. Online Google Maps
    By thatotherdude24 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM
  5. Anyway to. Make Google maps voice better?
    By lazygregg in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 12:26 AM

Posting Permissions