Bluetooth MAP Profile

c_hri_s

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

My BMW supports the reading of email and text messages via the in-car display, it works a treat with my BlackBerry.

It apparently uses 'Bluetooth MAP Profile' to achieve this, something stock Android doesn't support ... up until now?

In the bug for this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40763 the last comment suggests that Android 4.4 adds this functionality.

Has anyone with a Nexus 5 tried this? Does it work?

Hoping so ... and then can't wait for the 4.4 upgrade for my N4!

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet but I do know that when I paired my phone with my Toyota that MAP was one of the profiles that was created in the pairing.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It works on my Ford Sync. Sent and received messages today. Assuming it's a Kit Kat thing so maybe N4 and Galaxy Nexus will work once updated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I really was hoping N5 4.4 supports this...UPS delivery is today! will re-post with confirmation...my 2012 Honda CR-V NAV has that function as well and was working good with my Sony Xperia ZL...makes things a lot safer on the road and legal where I live if you really need to check a message :)

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It works on my Ford Sync. Sent and received messages today. Assuming it's a Kit Kat thing so maybe N4 and Galaxy Nexus will work once updated.

Did you have any problems downloading the phonebook ? My Ford Sync offered to download, the Nexus 5 asked for permission, but then it did not download any of my contacts. I have deleted and added the phone a couple times with the same result. I have the basic My Ford Sync, no touch screen or anything like that. I did not have this issue with my Z10 device.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So what exactly does Bluetooth map allow us to do? Does it allow us to actually be read and send text messages through the cars voice recognition system?

bbgolf

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
In my vehicle, it allows My Ford Sync to notify me when an SMS is received and I can tell it to read the text message and it will through the vehicles sound system. Other vehicle audio systems can use MAP to do the same with email messages as well.

Posted via Android Central App

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you have any problems downloading the phonebook ? My Ford Sync offered to download, the Nexus 5 asked for permission, but then it did not download any of my contacts. I have deleted and added the phone a couple times with the same result. I have the basic My Ford Sync, no touch screen or anything like that. I did not have this issue with my Z10 device.

I have the phone book. It could have been left from my n4. I have the touch screen model.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
So what exactly does Bluetooth map allow us to do? Does it allow us to actually be read and send text messages through the cars voice recognition system?

You can also reply with built-in stock phrases. I can't because it distracts me (even with voice commands), but it is a feature.

matchtrader2000

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Moto X that played very nicely with my BMW 5 series with iDrive, including both text and email messages... Until I upgraded to kitkat. Now only sms but no email. I have an HTC One as well with 4.2 that works a treat and also reads email. Had an N5 and mywife has an S4 with 4.3 - neither of those will show email, only sms. Very odd.

bimmerguy14

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X that played very nicely with my BMW 5 series with iDrive, including both text and email messages... Until I upgraded to kitkat. Now only sms but no email. I have an HTC One as well with 4.2 that works a treat and also reads email. Had an N5 and mywife has an S4 with 4.3 - neither of those will show email, only sms. Very odd.

Droid MAXX and 2014 BMW 3 series worked flawlessly until 4.4, now only phone. No call history, email, or SMS. Pick up a SMS message from before from the car's memory. Voice in a new reply... Goes no where. New phone and new car but no joy. Any suggestions?

bimmerguy14

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Droid MAXX and 2014 BMW 3 series worked flawlessly until 4.4, now only phone. No call history, email, or SMS. Pick up a SMS message from before from the car's memory. Voice in a new reply... Goes no where. New phone and new car but no joy. Any suggestions?

Deleted pairing on both ends, let the phone find the car instead of other way around. Works now... Holding tongue correct, CHECK!!

zach471

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well apparently not so much. Worked for a while but not anymore....Sigh

is there any chance you're using the stock messaging app or Hangouts for your SMS? I tried a different app, and it seemed to work.

BTW, I'm using a Moto X w/ 4.4.2

matchtrader2000

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Was using a Note 3, and now a Galaxy S5, both 4.4 (and in the case of the Note, 4.3, then 4.4). Same result -- text, contacts and phone all good, but no email.

portershm

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Droid MAXX with the 4.4 update, I have a Ford Sync version1 that used to read text messages outloud before the 4.4 update and hasn't worked since. I use the default messaging program. Does anyone know if switching to using hangouts will fix this?

Zach Attack

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! Just updated my Moto X to 4.4.4 and it looks like it broke the message connectivity on my 2014 Toyota Rav4. Phone and music over Bluetooth still works and I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting with no luck.

Anyone find a solution for the bluetooth issues yet?
Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer