Say "Ok Google" not showing anymore

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I think it is a normal behavior as part of a "tutorial" thing but just wondering. I just realized the "Say "Ok Google"" text is not appearing anymore on the search bar. Is there a way to make it come back. I like the look of it!

Thank you.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Settings -> Language & Input -> Language

Must be set to English (United States). Will not work with other languages, not even English (United Kingdom).

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I am setup in "English (United States)" but am located in Quebec, Canada. Could this be why I don't see it anymore? Maybe I was seeing it before the device realized I am Canadian.

Also, I just rebooted and the icon is "full" again. Still no sign of the "Say "Ok Google"" though.

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE : I cleared data on "Google Search" and now I see it. It also removed all my home icons ... dammit. But more importantly, it made the tutorial screen come back. So it really seems to be tied in a tutorial thing.

It also deactivated the Google Now screen. How awful is that! People, don't ever clear data on "Google Search".

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am setup in "English (United States)" but am located in Quebec, Canada. Could this be why I don't see it anymore? Maybe I was seeing it before the device realized I am Canadian.

Also, I just rebooted and the icon is "full" again. Still no sign of the "Say "Ok Google"" though.

Actually, I was in a bit of a hurry with my last post.

I know that a lot of this stuff is supposed to be English (US) only and I saw quickly that if I changed my language as above to English (UK) the mic icon changes to an open image as shown in the screenshot and when I changed back to English (US) the mic becomes solid again.

Having said that, I no longer have the "Say OK Google" text either and my settings appear to be correct (Hotword detection enabled, etc.).

I might know why - I just rebooted and saw a message "Please enter the application and accept the EULA agreement" (or something like that) at the bottom of the screen. I had that a few times earlier today as well and wasn't sure where it was coming from. Now I am wondering if they are related...

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know, it is only visual as I said earlier.

Also, just for everyone, Google Now page was nowhere to be found after I cleared the data. I had to logout from Google Search in the settings and log back in (and say "I'm in").

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing yesterday. After reading this thread it has me thinking if it's intentional. Perhaps the "say Ok Google" was there to get people familiar with the voice command. I just deleted the Google Search data and rebooted, the say Ok Google text reappeared. Note, that doing this will remove Google Now, which will require you to re-enable it by long pressing the home screen and selecting settings. There is an option to enable Google Now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the "ok Google" text is supposed to go away. It's just to help get you started, after you use it two times it goes away. I have two Nexus 5's and they both work this way.

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing. I turned the OK Google setting off and on never came back. I think it was only there for when you first get the phone.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night for another reason, and I now have the full mic and the "say ok google". I will try to see if it just goes away after a period of time or it something triggers it to stop displaying.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The text has again disappeared. I think it does this automatically after 24 hours. My microphone icon is still solid and voice activation continues to work.

Falka

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm Swiftkey is one of the reason why "say OK Google" text disappearing!
I did a full factory reset and installed swiftkey right after the first boot and puff, no text for ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome