Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By Choorp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Yay, Nova Launcher incorporates Nexus 5 styling

Awesome...now I can have the look of the native launcher without sacrificing flexibility. Now if only they could incorporate "ok google"...

Thanked by:
    Jonneh 
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Default Re: Yay, Nova Launcher incorporates Nexus 5 styling

I gave the stock launcher an honest try but found that it's just too limited for what I was looking for. It feels great being back on Nova! The only thing I'll miss is having Google Now as a homescreen.
    Jonneh likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Choorp View Post
    I gave the stock launcher an honest try but found that it's just too limited for what I was looking for. It feels great being back on Nova! The only thing I'll miss is having Google Now as a homescreen.
    The main thing I missed was being able to scroll the dock. And to get rid of the dock indicator.

I've been trying to have fun with the new stock launcher, but just yesterday I switched back to Nova even though it's not yet optimized for 4.4. The icons being crazy-large was okay to me, but when I began creating folders and found out I can only have a maximum of 16 icons per folder, I realized I needed Nova again. Plus I missed all the customization it added for me...I like to swipe down to have the dock disappear, swipe up to have the notification bar disappear, and double tap anywhere on the home screen to have the notification panel expand.

Thanks for the news that the Nova developer is still working on it! I look forward to its release in the Play store.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Jonneh View Post
    I've been trying to have fun with the new stock launcher, but just yesterday I switched back to Nova even though it's not yet optimized for 4.4. The icons being crazy-large was okay to me, but when I began creating folders and found out I can only have a maximum of 16 icons per folder, I realized I needed Nova again. Plus I missed all the customization it added for me...I like to swipe down to have the dock disappear, swipe up to have the notification bar disappear, and double tap anywhere on the home screen to have the notification panel expand.

Thanks for the news that the Nova developer is still working on it! I look forward to its release in the Play store.
    Yeah I forgot about the gesture support. That is something I need.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Yeah I forgot about the gesture support. That is something I need.
    Exactly. I will miss the Google Now as my leftmost screen though. But, swiping up from the home button really isn't a big deal, and is what I'm used to from my Galaxy Nexus. But the cards don't seem to be pre-loaded like they are when using the leftmost screen version of Google Now.

Do you know if the Nova developer is even capable of getting the "Okay Google Now" voice search to work in the future?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Jonneh View Post
    Do you know if the Nova developer is even capable of getting the "Okay Google Now" voice search to work in the future?
    Oh yeah I'm sure. They all will.

I don't know why Google decided to limit the number of apps in their folders. I could have sworn, there was once a time -- many years ago -- when Android allowed as many icons into the folders as you wanted.

Or did I imagine that?

Quote Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
    I don't know why Google decided to limit the number of apps in their folders. I could have sworn, there was once a time -- many years ago -- when Android allowed as many icons into the folders as you wanted.

Or did I imagine that?
    I don't know why they limited it either; I was getting everything set up and then hit a roadblock with that. :-( I like to keep a "Utilities" folder in the corner of my screen, and it usually has about 22 apps in it, organized in a specific manner.

If I remember right, it took Android forever to even incorporate folders into the OS; third party launchers were doing it first. Maybe I'm wrong though? I came to Android right at Froyo and can't necessarily remember.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM

I have this installed now. So far, zero problems. No crashes or weird behavior. It does not incorporate "Ok Google" though. But I am very happy with the look.

i like the look of Kit Kat. BUT i tested out the Nova Beta and i really didn't like it - at least the way Nova did it. i didn't like the new "cloudy" App Icon, Mic Icon, i didn't like the 3 dots indicator, and i really didn't like the new Font under each App Icon. is this a direct copy of KitKat theme or an attempted copy of the look? perhaps it will grow on me - but i reverted back. one of the main and only reasons i even installed Nova is to get rid of the Persistent Search Bar and free up that space - if Google would let me do that i wouldn't need Nova.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i like the look of Kit Kat. BUT i tested out the Nova Beta and i really didn't like it - at least the way Nova did it. i didn't like the new "cloudy" App Icon, Mic Icon, i didn't like the 3 dots indicator, and i really didn't like the new Font under each App Icon. is this a direct copy of KitKat theme or an attempted copy of the look? perhaps it will grow on me - but i reverted back. one of the main and only reasons i even installed Nova is to get rid of the Persistent Search Bar and free up that space - if Google would let me do that i wouldn't need Nova.
    What do you mean by "new" 3 dots indicator? Mine looks exactly the same.

As for icons...I was using custom ones anyway. I downloaded this a while back:

This is what my home screen looks like now:

Yay, Nova Launcher incorporates Nexus 5 styling-screenshot_2013-11-12-08-41-50.jpg

Thats exactly what it looks like under the native launcher as well. (The blue line is the Team Battery bar app...if I did not have that installed, it would be clear)