What is your Signal strength of your Cell Network Provider on your N5 in dBm & asu?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Forget about the bars that aren't that accurate. Tell us the dBm & asu signal strength numbers your N5 phone has at your best signal and worst signal sites where you can still make a good phone call... I don't think a dead spot would be useful.

To get dBm and asu;

Go to Setting > About Phone > Status and tell us your Signal Strength that is dBm # and asu #.

A mobile phone signal (or reception) is the signal strength (measured in dBm) received by the mobile phone from the cellular network (on the down link). Arbitrary Strength Unit (ASU) is an integer value proportional to the received signal strength measured by the mobile phone.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Inside my Condo I only have one bar signal with 112 dBm and 29 asu. ( I can still have a quality voice call. )

I walk outside and use the App "Open Signal" to show me the direction of the cell tower connection (about 40 feet from front door to a open gap in other condo building) then I get All Four Bars of Signal with -85 dBm and 54 asu.

So dBm # goes down and ASU # goes up with better signal power. BTW, I am using MetroPCS/T-Mobile networks

Last edited:

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
HSPA or HSPA+; haven't seen LTE yet despite driving to a supposed ATT LTE area.
-105 dBm to -111 dBm
5-0 asu
Never had good reception inside my house but the signal is lower with the same SIM I had in my N4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
HSPA or HSPA+; haven't seen LTE yet despite driving to a supposed ATT LTE area.
-105 dBm to -111 dBm
5-0 asu
Never had good reception inside my house but the signal is lower with the same SIM I had in my N4.

Has your account been configured for LTE?

at&t has to configure your account, so as to allow your handset to register on their LTE network.

Dan

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Has your account been configured for LTE?

at&t has to configure your account, so as to allow your handset to register on their LTE network.

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I'm running through Straight Talk and have been trying to make sure that has been done (back and forth with CS). My time is up next week (after 1 1/2 yrs). I've already moved two iPhones to GoPhone, but thought I'd give the "new" ST a try before moving my phone. It's 40 miles to an ATT store, but I'll leave there with the phone working correctly.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I had to drive 10 miles further into "LTE" territory but now have -95dBm with 40 asu on LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing I have found out is I don't understand ASU. Under my example the better signal ( 4 bars ) I had the higher ASU # as dBm decreased # with more signinal. This isn't true on some of the others ASU data they have posted here. This is what Wiki says about ASU and it maybe useless to our discussion since it changes due to the network.;

Arbitrary Strength Unit (ASU) is an integer value proportional to the received signal strength measured by the mobile phone.

It is possible to calculate the real signal strength measured in dBm (and thereby power in Watts) by a formula. However, there are different formulas for 2G and 3G networks.

In GSM networks, ASU is equal to the RSSI (received signal strength indicator, see TS 27.007 sub clause 8.5).

dBm = 2 ? ASU - 113, ASU in the range of 0..31 and 99 (for not known or not detectable)

In UMTS networks, ASU is equal the RSCP level (received signal code power, see TS 27.007 sub clause 8.69 and TS 27.133 sub clause 9.1.1.3)

dBm = ASU - 116, ASU in the range of -5..91 and 255 (for not known or not detectable)

In LTE networks, ASU is dependant on the RSRQ level

dBm = ASU - 140, ASU in the range of -10..??

It is widely misbelieved[by whom?] that ASU = "Active Set update". The Active Set Update is a signalling message used in handover procedures of UMTS and CDMA mobile telephony standards. On Android phones, the acronym ASU has nothing to do with Active Set Update. It has not been declared precisely by Google developers

So it still looks like the lower the dBm the better signal strength your have.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have cricket and mine is 108dbm and 1 asu and I always have 1 or 2 bars. Is that good?

Not really. Thats about what i get with at&t inside my house (3g mode). That's why i use a microcell. another 10 dbm or so and you will lose all signal and have no service. Also the asu is pretty bad at 1.
The lower the dbm the better the signal and for asu the higher the better.
Perfect dbm is around 50 with 70-80 still being really good with 4 bars. 80-90 is starting to get weak but still plenty good. 90-100 is a fair signal. Over 100 is weak. I generally say that as long as you're under 100 you're fine. At about 105-110dbm signal really starts to border on a no service stuation. I dont like to be over 100 by more than a few dbm at all.

Last edited: