N5 battery down to 58% overnight, normal?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
An app like Wakelock Detector ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&token=9tY1IxhY ) can help you figure out what your device is doing during the night hours, but it can be difficult to interpret the data.

Take a look specifically at your Google Now settings and also the "News & Weather" app (it's there, in your app drawer). I have found that the defaults on this app cause it to download both news and weather data at a very high frequency, thus waking the phone constantly, not to mention using Wi-Fi or cellular radios for data downloads.

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
An app like Wakelock Detector ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&token=utkaegUN ) can help you figure out what your device is doing during the night hours, but it can be difficult to interpret the data.

Take a look specifically at your Google Now settings and also the "News & Weather" app (it's there, in your app drawer). I have found that the defaults on this app cause it to download both news and weather data at a very high frequency, thus waking the phone constantly, not to mention using Wi-Fi or cellular radios for data downloads.
Wakelock Detector:
"Wakelock Detector currently does not work with KitKat."

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Tried again last night. From 100 to 74% in 6hr 40 mins. The following Apps were on: Google, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Alarm clock, battery. The little LED light on the phone came on and off sometimes.

Try putting the phone into Airplane mode over night to see if most of the power is being used by the N5's radio or the Apps... Also, start keeping a journal since it could be just a bad battery that won't hold a charge so you RMA the phone.

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's just bizarre. If true, I wonder what the phone is doing in supposedly "offline" mode.
I read about problems with nlpcollector wakelock. I disabled "remotely locate this device" and "allow remote lock and factory reset" under Android Device Manager. Also re-enabled Location services with battery saving mode. Will try again tonight and report back.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Your phone is waking up (from sleep mode, not necessarily the screen) to process something, more than likely many, many times, 24x7. The fact that it may have been unable to do so (by virtue of being in airplane mode and thus having no active data connections) is beside the point. A wakelock detector of some sort - if you can find one that is KitKat compatible - would be of great help in learning which app(s) is responsible.

In the meantime, did you check the settings of the News & Weather app as I suggested? Have you checked Google Now and Google+ settings? Are you running any email / message apps other than the default ones (Yahoo mail, Facebook messenger, etc.)?

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try BetterBatteryStats beta tomorrow if xda-developers - View Single Post - NlpCollector wakelock. doesn't work.
Auto refresh is turned off in News & Weather. Google Now is turned off. Signed out from Google+. Using Gmail native app for mails. Got Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp installed and running tho. But I've turned off all automatic updates in Facebook. Nothing more to turn off in Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to try BetterBatteryStats beta tomorrow if xda-developers - View Single Post - NlpCollector wakelock. doesn't work.
Auto refresh is turned off in News & Weather. Google Now is turned off. Signed out from Google+. Using Gmail native app for mails. Got Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp installed and running tho. But I've turned off all automatic updates in Facebook. Nothing more to turn off in Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp.

Also, you have to FORCE STOP facebook. For some reason that stupid app runs in the background even if you have notifications turned off.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Left my phone into airplane mode for the night and the battery dropped 10% in 8 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

Charged up my N5 to 100% last night and put it into Airplane Mode. Airplane Mode shuts down all Radio including Cell, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth went to bed for 8 hours. Looked at it when I got up today and battery was at 98%. So in previous two nights testing I had 96%battery left after testing the phone on two different nights with Cell and Wi-Fi running. The Wi-Fi and Cell only uses a extra 2% of the battery overnight. BTW, I have a weak Cell tower connection inside the house with only one bar signal but a strong Wi-Fi connection. The ultimate test for people having major battery loss over night is charge up the phone to 100% and power off the phone to see if your battery is holding a charge overnight.

Provide you aren't running some power hungry App, then anyone losing a lot of power much more that 8% which is double what I saw should call Google and see if they can help you or RMA your N5. It could be as simple as a battery that can't hold a charge but it is still a RMA issue.

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Charged up my N5 to 100% last night and put it into Airplane Mode. Airplane Mode shuts down all Radio including Cell, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth went to bed for 8 hours. Looked at it when I got up today and battery was at 98%. So in previous two nights testing I had 96%battery left after testing the phone on two different nights with Cell and Wi-Fi running. The Wi-Fi and Cell only uses a extra 2% of the battery overnight. BTW, I have a weak Cell tower connection inside the house with only one bar signal but a strong Wi-Fi connection. The ultimate test for people having major battery loss over night is charge up the phone to 100% and power off the phone to see if your battery is holding a charge overnight.

Provide you aren't running some power hungry App, then anyone losing a lot of power much more that 8% which is double what I saw should call Google and see if they can help you or RMA your N5. It could be as simple as a battery that can't hold a charge but it is still a RMA issue.
Do you have Settings -> Backup & Reset -> Back up my data enabled or disabled?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Settings -> Backup & Reset -> Back up my data enabled or disabled?

I have no issues with my N5 battery that goes all day.

To answer your question In Settings -> Backup & Reset -> I have "Back up my data" Checked. and "Automatic restore" checked.

However when it is in Airplane mode all Cell, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is disabled. The phone discharged only 2% running Android and Apps like Facebook, The Score,Open Signal, AccuWeather, Current, Yahoo Mail, Birthday reminder, AVG AntiVirus and Google services that wanted to run. I checked and putting the N5 into Airplane Mode doesn't shut down any of my running Apps.

With the fully charged N5 on two nights idle I was at only 96% charged with Cell and Wi-Fi running plus Android and some Apps like Facebook, The Score,Open Signal, AccuWeather, Current, Yahoo Mail, birthday reminder, AVG AntiVirus and Google services that wanted to run.

crbgro72

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
To fix overnight battery drain simply change runtime system from dalvik to ART in the developer options. To enable developer options just tap build number 7 times in the about phone menu. Hope this solves any issues people have been having with battery power loss