Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default N5 battery down to 58% overnight, normal?

I went to bed last night with ~97% charged. I plugged in the USB connector but didn't push in far enough so it didn't charge. About 7 hrs later, I checked the phone and it showed 58%.
    Hmm. Who said it has all day battery?

Default Re: N5 battery down to 58% overnight, normal?

Mine loses maybe 5% sitting idle overnight. So there is something unusual going on in your situation.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Agreed. Mine holds its charge similarly well when asleep/idle. What processes does your battery stats show is being used?

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App
    1+1/Nexus 5

Yeah you have something mega funky going on for it to drain that much over 7 hours.

I think I lost somewhere around 11% over 8 hours but that includes a little facebook here, a little email there, my alarm going off and a few text messages.

Turn off features you aren't using. There is a thread on here somewhere about extending battery life. Turn off the features you aren't using and tune your phone to be a little more efficient.

Might be his signal strength... I know in my apartment I get almost NO cell service unless I am outside the door/on the porch... if my WiFi gets turned off my battery can go from 100% down to 20% overnight but if I am on WiFi it doesn't even lose 1/2 that much...

Mine goes down 3% in 8 hours with everything enabled (ART included).
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by 6packer View Post
    I went to bed last night with ~97% charged. I plugged in the USB connector but didn't push in far enough so it didn't charge. About 7 hrs later, I checked the phone and it showed 58%.
    Hmm. Who said it has all day battery?
    Definitely not. There is probably a rogue app eating your battery.

I lose 0% overnight, unplugged with the screen off. Seriously.

(Are you in a hot environment? That will drain the battery even at idle I think)
    NexusNick123 likes this.

Check to see if you have a program running in the background. Happen to me the other night (drain 18% over 7 hours) Last night, it only drop 3% over 8 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by dazzer87 View Post
    Check to see if you have a program running in the background. Happen to me the other night (drain 18% over 7 hours) Last night, it only drop 3% over 8 hours.

How to check for the rogue app?

SETTINGS >>> APPS >>> RUNNING

It will give you a list of apps currently running. I usually have

Settings
    com.qualcomm.qcrilms..
    Google Play Services
    Google Play Services
    ICS Phase Beam Live Wallpaper
    Google Keyboard

Thats it. Facebook I do a FORCE STOP on all the time cause that sucker likes to run in the background. Everything else I currently have isn't naughty and doesn't run when I don't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_CS View Post
    SETTINGS >>> APPS >>> RUNNING

It will give you a list of apps currently running. I usually have

Settings
    com.qualcomm.qcrilms..
    Google Play Services
    Google Play Services
    ICS Phase Beam Live Wallpaper
    Google Keyboard

Thats it. Facebook I do a FORCE STOP on all the time cause that sucker likes to run in the background. Everything else I currently have isn't naughty and doesn't run when I don't want it to.
    I got:
    Settings
    Facebook
    WhatsApp
    (Facebook) Messenger
    com.qualcomm
    Google Services
    Google Services
    Google Keyboard

make sure you close all you apps. My battery will last me about 18 hours that's with leaving OK Google on receiving e-mail's and text messages all day also on vibrate.
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

Tested my N5 over night battery drain on idle two different nights and both times after 8 to 9 hours I was at 96% battery. Plus I only have one bar signal (-110 dBm) from inside my house so I should be using more battery than people with a stronger cell signal.

Do you ever close Apps with the two rectangles on the soft buttons by swiping them off the screen to close them?

Try it again tonight but turn something off like bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi ... etc and if all that is off try putting the phone into airplane mode to see if the cell signal is what is draining the battery. Try doing them one at a time to see where the issue is but always reboot before you unplug your phone to start the overnight test.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Tested my N5 over night battery drain on idle two different nights and both times after 8 to 9 hours I was at 96% battery. Plus I only have one bar signal (-110 dBm) from inside my house so I should be using more battery than people with a stronger cell signal.

Do you ever close Apps with the two rectangles on the soft buttons by swiping them off the screen to close them?

Try it again tonight but turn something off like bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi ... etc and if all that is off try putting the phone into airplane mode to see if the cell signal is what is draining the battery. Try doing them one at a time to see where the issue is but always reboot before you unplug your phone to start the overnight test.
    Yeah, going to try airplane mode tonight and see how much battery it takes over night. If only few % then will try closing all apps tomorrow and so on until I find the cause. The problem might be in the 1 bar LTE signal but can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PriitE View Post
    How to check for the rogue app?
    Setting > Apps > you then could see whats running. I also used Greenify (must be rooted) to put apps in Hibernated mode. I drop 3% over 7 hours last night with Wifi on and crappy AT&t signal at my house. Much better then the night before.
    Droids!

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That isn't normal. For 6-8 hours of sleep, I lose about 5-7% battery.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I literally slept 7 hours and mind drained 2 percent. What all have you tried

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Tried again last night. From 100 to 74% in 6hr 40 mins. The following Apps were on: Google, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Alarm clock, battery. The little LED light on the phone came on and off sometimes.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Tried again last night. From 100 to 74% in 6hr 40 mins. The following Apps were on: Google, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Alarm clock, battery. The little LED light on the phone came on and off sometimes.
    I had open Facebook messenger, aim, alarm , gmail and a couple others. I went from 100% to 98% in just over 7 hours.

Have you tried a system restore ? How do you charge ? Drain fully and charge or just charge whenever ? Just curious

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is definitely not normal behavior. What are your sync times set to on the gmail and outlook apps? What apps are using the most power (look in your battery tab under the settings). It sounds like your phone is working very hard even in the background.

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly 'Beans', Stock

I lost 6% in 8 hours last night.

An app like Wakelock Detector ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector ) can help you figure out what your device is doing during the night hours, but it can be difficult to interpret the data.

Take a look specifically at your Google Now settings and also the "News & Weather" app (it's there, in your app drawer). I have found that the defaults on this app cause it to download both news and weather data at a very high frequency, thus waking the phone constantly, not to mention using Wi-Fi or cellular radios for data downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    An app like Wakelock Detector ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kelockdetector ) can help you figure out what your device is doing during the night hours, but it can be difficult to interpret the data.

Take a look specifically at your Google Now settings and also the "News & Weather" app (it's there, in your app drawer). I have found that the defaults on this app cause it to download both news and weather data at a very high frequency, thus waking the phone constantly, not to mention using Wi-Fi or cellular radios for data downloads.
    Wakelock Detector:
    "Wakelock Detector currently does not work with KitKat."

Try putting the phone into Airplane mode over night to see if most of the power is being used by the N5's radio or the Apps... Also, start keeping a journal since it could be just a bad battery that won't hold a charge so you RMA the phone.

Left my phone into airplane mode for the night and the battery dropped 10% in 8 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast