Can't answer incoming calls on the Nexus 5

jamess32

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This is happening often. When I have an incoming call the call screen appears and phone rings. I go to answer by dragging the icon to the green answer icon and nothing happens. The phone continues to ring. Trying to drag to the red ignore call icon has the same result. Eventually the caller gets sent to voicemail, but the phone remains locked in this state and needs to be rebooted before it is operational again. I thought it was related to teh phone being in a lockscreen state, but it now appears to be random. I have contacted Google and they said they have not heard of this issue before. Essentially it is unusuable as a phone. Anyone seen this issue or have any idea what might be going on? I have the phone on Sprint if that makes any difference. Thanks.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Cannot answer incoming call

Sorry for your problem. I haven't had that problem. I know it's a pain, but have you tried a factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jamess32

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Actually Google suggested a factory reset as the only solution they could suggest. I guess I should try that. Was avoiding, but probably should. Thanks.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

I've had an issue hanging up calls but never answering them.

If I get a busy signal on a call I can't hang it up for several seconds, then it either accepts the hang up or disconnects.

El Valluco

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I have the exact same issue with my Nexus 5 - and it's driving me insane!! Sad to report that a full factory recovery (pwr button+vol down method & via settings method) did not fix the problem.

Not sure what to do but this is a HUGE problem that I need fixed right away. Anybody had luck exchanging hardware from the Google Play Store?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

My wife often had trouble answering calls on her Nexus 4. I watched her carefully one day and realized that she wasn't swiping from the middle of the screen but from quite a bit left of center. Once she learned to swipe from the center to the right edge, her problem disappeared.

Just saying...

jamess32

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I understand sometimes there have been issues with swiping when touching the wrong part of the screen but the behavior on mine is pretty clear that is not the case. The worst part is that it won't let you answer or ignore and the phone is completely locked up and takes a reboot to get it working. Google support had no suggestion other than factory reset which did not help. Since I need my phone to be a phone I will return it. From the behavior I saw it doesn't seem to happen when connected to 3g, happens when connected to LTE.

jamess32

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

I now know for sure under what conditions this occurs. Maybe someone has an idea of why and what is needed to fix it. This never happens when connected to 3G only, which may be why more people are not seeing it. When connected to LTE it occurs maybe 1/2 the time, maybe more. I have tested this now for 2 days and it seems very consistent.

El Valluco

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I have this problem while connected to both 3G and LTE. The fail rate is much higher with mine.. This happens with 80-90% of my incoming calls. It's so bad I made one of the 'quick reply' texts in the phone say "new phone won't let me answer, call you back in a sec." After which, I have to power-cycle the phone.

After two factory resets didn't fix it, I contacted Google for a replacement. Hope to have better luck with the new one..

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I now know for sure under what conditions this occurs. Maybe someone has an idea of why and what is needed to fix it. This never happens when connected to 3G only, which may be why more people are not seeing it. When connected to LTE it occurs maybe 1/2 the time, maybe more. I have tested this now for 2 days and it seems very consistent.

No problem with answering or handup with AT&T so far. I'm on LTE 100% of the time. Maybe you should specify your carrier?

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

That's a really crappy problem to have. Wish I could suggest something, OP, but I've not had that problem. I'm on AT&T, no issues on WiFi or LTE. Good luck.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

It seems there are too many problems with Sprint: no simultaneous data and voice, difficult answering phone calls. Can't use tethering without paying Sprint for it. On top that, very limited LTE coverage.

I don't know why ppl put up with that?

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site

It seems there are too many problems with Sprint: no simultaneous data and voice, difficult answering phone calls. Can't use tethering without paying Sprint for it. On top that, very limited LTE coverage.

I don't know why ppl put up with that?

I have no problem with answering or hanging up and I'm on Sprint and tethering fees are charged on other carriers as well. There is a work around for that. And I have LTE and it's cheaper than the other big 3 for me, so that's why some people have it.

I'm not saying it's all that and a bag of chips, but it doesn't take me up the a$$ like Verizon and AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The work around requiring rooting the phone. It can be used on AT&T without paying for tethering fee. In fact, of the 3 carriers N5 supports, only AT&T doesn't have restrictions built into the phone firmware.

swmonkeys

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

I too have the problem with hanging up on calls; it takes 5-20 seconds to hang up a call if I get a busy signal and it's really frustrating!

ufergus

May 14, 2010
Visit site

I have this problem while connected to both 3G and LTE. The fail rate is much higher with mine.. This happens with 80-90% of my incoming calls. It's so bad I made one of the 'quick reply' texts in the phone say "new phone won't let me answer, call you back in a sec." After which, I have to power-cycle the phone.

After two factory resets didn't fix it, I contacted Google for a replacement. Hope to have better luck with the new one..

Did you get your new phone? Did the behavior change?

gmalafsky

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I have had the phone about 4 days. It doing the exact same thing that you describe and is very frustrating. I am considering returning it.

jamess32

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I ended up returning mine to Google since a fix does not seem to be coming any time soon. I have not seen any information that it is even considered an actual problem by Google. If it is ever fixed I would like to buy the phone again

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the very same issue in fact whem I called Google they said no one else is having this issue, and told me to reset my phone. I knew James was having an issue and said that he was sending his back. Shame on Goolge for misleading people. As James mentioned earlier it has to do with LTE when on Sprint I notice that it doesn't switch back to 1X as it issupposed to for this network. When calls come in it is suppose to switch bqck from LTE to 1x according to S4GRU explanation.

Last edited: