Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't answer incoming calls on the Nexus 5

This is happening often. When I have an incoming call the call screen appears and phone rings. I go to answer by dragging the icon to the green answer icon and nothing happens. The phone continues to ring. Trying to drag to the red ignore call icon has the same result. Eventually the caller gets sent to voicemail, but the phone remains locked in this state and needs to be rebooted before it is operational again. I thought it was related to teh phone being in a lockscreen state, but it now appears to be random. I have contacted Google and they said they have not heard of this issue before. Essentially it is unusuable as a phone. Anyone seen this issue or have any idea what might be going on? I have the phone on Sprint if that makes any difference. Thanks.

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

Default Re: Nexus 5 Cannot answer incoming call

Sorry for your problem. I haven't had that problem. I know it's a pain, but have you tried a factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Actually Google suggested a factory reset as the only solution they could suggest. I guess I should try that. Was avoiding, but probably should. Thanks.

I've had an issue hanging up calls but never answering them.

If I get a busy signal on a call I can't hang it up for several seconds, then it either accepts the hang up or disconnects.

I have the exact same issue with my Nexus 5 - and it's driving me insane!! Sad to report that a full factory recovery (pwr button+vol down method & via settings method) did not fix the problem.

Not sure what to do but this is a HUGE problem that I need fixed right away. Anybody had luck exchanging hardware from the Google Play Store?

My wife often had trouble answering calls on her Nexus 4. I watched her carefully one day and realized that she wasn't swiping from the middle of the screen but from quite a bit left of center. Once she learned to swipe from the center to the right edge, her problem disappeared.

Just saying...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I understand sometimes there have been issues with swiping when touching the wrong part of the screen but the behavior on mine is pretty clear that is not the case. The worst part is that it won't let you answer or ignore and the phone is completely locked up and takes a reboot to get it working. Google support had no suggestion other than factory reset which did not help. Since I need my phone to be a phone I will return it. From the behavior I saw it doesn't seem to happen when connected to 3g, happens when connected to LTE.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I now know for sure under what conditions this occurs. Maybe someone has an idea of why and what is needed to fix it. This never happens when connected to 3G only, which may be why more people are not seeing it. When connected to LTE it occurs maybe 1/2 the time, maybe more. I have tested this now for 2 days and it seems very consistent.

I have this problem while connected to both 3G and LTE. The fail rate is much higher with mine.. This happens with 80-90% of my incoming calls. It's so bad I made one of the 'quick reply' texts in the phone say "new phone won't let me answer, call you back in a sec." After which, I have to power-cycle the phone.

After two factory resets didn't fix it, I contacted Google for a replacement. Hope to have better luck with the new one..

Quote Originally Posted by jamess32 View Post
    I now know for sure under what conditions this occurs. Maybe someone has an idea of why and what is needed to fix it. This never happens when connected to 3G only, which may be why more people are not seeing it. When connected to LTE it occurs maybe 1/2 the time, maybe more. I have tested this now for 2 days and it seems very consistent.
    No problem with answering or handup with AT&T so far. I'm on LTE 100% of the time. Maybe you should specify your carrier?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

My problem occurs on Sprint

That's a really crappy problem to have. Wish I could suggest something, OP, but I've not had that problem. I'm on AT&T, no issues on WiFi or LTE. Good luck.

It seems there are too many problems with Sprint: no simultaneous data and voice, difficult answering phone calls. Can't use tethering without paying Sprint for it. On top that, very limited LTE coverage.

I don't know why ppl put up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    It seems there are too many problems with Sprint: no simultaneous data and voice, difficult answering phone calls. Can't use tethering without paying Sprint for it. On top that, very limited LTE coverage.

I have no problem with answering or hanging up and I'm on Sprint and tethering fees are charged on other carriers as well. There is a work around for that. And I have LTE and it's cheaper than the other big 3 for me, so that's why some people have it.

I'm not saying it's all that and a bag of chips, but it doesn't take me up the a$$ like Verizon and AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The work around requiring rooting the phone. It can be used on AT&T without paying for tethering fee. In fact, of the 3 carriers N5 supports, only AT&T doesn't have restrictions built into the phone firmware.

I too have the problem with hanging up on calls; it takes 5-20 seconds to hang up a call if I get a busy signal and it's really frustrating!

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    I have this problem while connected to both 3G and LTE. The fail rate is much higher with mine.. This happens with 80-90% of my incoming calls. It's so bad I made one of the 'quick reply' texts in the phone say "new phone won't let me answer, call you back in a sec." After which, I have to power-cycle the phone.

After two factory resets didn't fix it, I contacted Google for a replacement. Hope to have better luck with the new one..
    Did you get your new phone? Did the behavior change?

I have had the phone about 4 days. It doing the exact same thing that you describe and is very frustrating. I am considering returning it.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Default Re: Can't answer incoming calls on the Nexus 5

I ended up returning mine to Google since a fix does not seem to be coming any time soon. I have not seen any information that it is even considered an actual problem by Google. If it is ever fixed I would like to buy the phone again

I have the very same issue in fact whem I called Google they said no one else is having this issue, and told me to reset my phone. I knew James was having an issue and said that he was sending his back. Shame on Goolge for misleading people. As James mentioned earlier it has to do with LTE when on Sprint I notice that it doesn't switch back to 1X as it issupposed to for this network. When calls come in it is suppose to switch bqck from LTE to 1x according to S4GRU explanation.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

We are starting to get some traction with Google in this google products thread. Please go to the link below and post about the issue. They already contacted me about collecting some bugreport information. The more people/input they get the better.

https://productforums.google.com/for...E/UG3fABvh3e0J

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post

Why? Because the plans are cheaper, there is no data cap and in most cases the issues are overblown. I've been with Sprint for 17 years. I've loved them and hated them. But I made an educated decision to stay with them at my last contract cycle because of their spectrum position in the industry once NV is complete. Their capacity will be unequaled to the other carriers when done.

I use 5 - 6 gig per month on average. I could frankly care less if I get LTE most of the time. What I want is solid speeds. I have little use for 15M+ speeds. No practical need for it for me on a phone. I good steady 1 - 2 M satisfies my needs 90% of the time. So the big deal for me is Sprint's completion of NV.

Quote Originally Posted by jalan94 View Post
    Why? Because the plans are cheaper, there is no data cap and in most cases the issues are overblown. I've been with Sprint for 17 years. I've loved them and hated them. But I made an educated decision to stay with them at my last contract cycle because of their spectrum position in the industry once NV is complete. Their capacity will be unequaled to the other carriers when done.

I use 5 - 6 gig per month on average. I could frankly care less if I get LTE most of the time. What I want is solid speeds. I have little use for 15M+ speeds. No practical need for it for me on a phone. I good steady 1 - 2 M satisfies my needs 90% of the time. So the big deal for me is Sprint's completion of NV.
    Is that 1-2 MG per second or per minute? I get that per minute but it's usually closer to 1MG or less.

Sprint is already unequalled to the other carriers - in sub par data speeds, dropped calls, network problems of every stripe... I never see any evidence of this mythical NV. I hoped Softbank would speed it up but as with everything else Sprint it is non existent or so slow to be unnoticeable.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ufergus View Post
    Did you get your new phone? Did the behavior change?
    Yes! Got the new phone and can now answer all my incoming calls ..eh, the ones that don't go directly to voicemail, anyway. Google seemed pretty good about it - probably because I explained that I had already done two factory resets using two different methods to no avail.

One problem that did persist between two different phones is the agonizingly long connection time for outgoing calls. After calling a number, phone won't connect for up to 25 seconds. This happened on two different phones through a few factory resets. This has to be a Sprint problem. Need to double check the forums but didn't see this problem posted, yet. I was gonna start a thread on if, if not..

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I have experienced the long delay on outgoing calls too. It is a google voice integration issue. I disabled good voice integration and calls now connect very fast.

Interesting that a new phone isn't showing the issue... It doesn't seems to fit the profile of a hardware issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast