Found a reason not to use Hangouts

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This is very disappointing for me. My wife has a iPhone and we send a lot of pictures back and forth. Sending pictures through hangouts shows up on her phone sideways. It shows it being ok on hangouts but once it sends and populates on her phone its sideways and smashed.
I decided to try a messaging app goSMS and I have the option to rotate the photos in that messaging app which sends to the iPhone correct. Pretty disappointed as I would like to use Hangouts.

****UPDATE****
It seems that when you have HDR+ active for taking your photos Hangouts will not send MMS correctly for that picture. Test this and let me know your results. What I did was take a photo with HDR+ and send it though Hangouts. The result is smashed and sideways. I then turned HDR+ off and the photo was sent through Hangouts as intended.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
After going through a couple more texting apps I settled on Textra. Sends the photos to her iPhone as it should without having to rotate like I did in gosms.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I spent 30 seconds in Hangouts and went "Ummmm nope" and Textra it is. Has waaaaaaaaaay more features that I use and is free and easy to understand.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sms integration with Hangouts is very young. If there's any issues this should be worked out in future updates to the app. I'm using it exclusively right now and have no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using the hangouts apps exclusively (for both hangouts and SMS), and I, too, do not have the issue you are referring to.
I wonder what is happening on your end to cause that.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Im\'m unable to attach multiple photos to send via a Hangout SMS. Once I select one photo from gallery, selecting any more will remove hangouts from the share menu. Any thoughts?

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This is the iPhone's fault. If you go on the computer you will notice all your portrait pictures are sideways. Anything Apple can do to be different...

Posted via Android Central App

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Wonder why it happens then and with Textra it works as it should. Are you who see it working taking pics in landscape?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wonder why it happens then and with Textra it works as it should. Are you who see it working taking pics in landscape?

I tested both landscape and portrait - both type displayed correctly. When taking pictures in landscape I have the volume buttons facing the floor, I didn't try it with the volume buttons facing up.

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have confirmed it is not just her iPhone but all phones i am sending pics to from Hangouts. They are all sideways and smashed, my settings are taking pics in HDR+ mode, 8mp, and keeping the current photo non compressed. Any ideas from other? I am curious of your MMS settings.

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else have any thoughts about to what could be causing my issue with Hangouts?
Again the issue is, when i send an MMS from Hangouts it is received by the individual (tested on Windows phone and iPhone) side ways and smashed.
My pics are taken in portrait and MMS works as intended in Textra, when I use GoSMS I need to rotate the photo before it is sent.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Considering you need to rotate the photos before you send, it sounds like the problem isn't hangouts and that it's with the photos themselves. Do they show up correctly in the gallery? The phone is supposed to sense the orientation you are holding the phone when you take pictures and save it accordingly - it sounds like that is messed up somehow. Have you tried a factory reset?

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe I figured out the issue. When someone gets a chance for those who it was working for. Turn on HDR+ in the camera options. Take a pic and try and send it. When I turned off HDR+ the photo is no longer smashed and rotated. When I turn it back on it take a pic and send it, it becomes smashed and rotated.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I believe I figured out the issue. When someone gets a chance for those who it was working for. Turn on HDR+ in the camera options. Take a pic and try and send it. When I turned off HDR+ the photo is no longer smashed and rotated. When I turn it back on it take a pic and send it, it becomes smashed and rotated.

Will test later tonight and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith