trouble moving many photos from laptop to N5 (and SD transfer question)

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I used Helium to restore a bunch of my N4 app data to my N5. That part worked fine.

1) There is one app that doesn't allow app data backup and instead offers "Save to SD card" and "Restore from SD card" options. I know I have seen the /emulated/sd stuff before, but I just realized that the SD directory doesn't show up in Android File Transfer on my laptop. Will I need to use an app like AirDroid to move over the app settings for this app? Is there someway to get the SD directory to show up in AFT? I feel I'm missing something really simple.

2) Using Android File Transfer I moved some files from my laptop to the N5. Things like an image directory with a few dozen images, etc. When I try to move over a bunch of files at once it seems that AFT chokes. Example: I have a CameraZOOM folder on my laptop with 546 images (1.68GB) (basically a backup of what was on the N4). If I try to move them en mass to the N5 I eventually get an error on the N5 ("the process android.process.media has stopped") and the copying stops. I have to re-plug in the usb connection to re-establish a connection. And only some of the files will have transfer. And it seems to choke at different points. It's not like a specific file is causing troubles. Should I just try smaller chunks at a time (i.e. 100 photos)? I also have about 1000 (3.3 GB) images in /DCIM/Camera that I may want to move over, but same problem is encountered there as well.

Thanks.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It baffles sometimes how inconsistent these applications are with these devices. This is part of the reason I have went "cloud" for my pictures and videos just got tired of stuff working when it wanted to work. Sure it's not as convenient when you want to pull up a picture or video from a while ago but I can easily just download the entire folder down to my device for local storage if I want. Just got really tired of all the different apps and each one that has it's own quirks and don't always play nice with my phone. For instance, iSyncr worked perfectly on my S4 but on my G2 nearly half of the songs fail. I mean if all failed then it could be easier to troubleshoot but when half do, what do you do? LOL.

At the end of the day I use air droid for quick transfers but for other things, I just put in my dropbox folder and download it to my device later. Think you would be able to drop files into Google Drive or something and then move them to your phone?

Last edited:

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here.....had to do them in chucks of 8 at a time over the coarse of a few days, finally got them all onto device

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, using AirDroid I successfully did two things:

1) Moved over the folder/file for that app I mentioned, although this wasn't really needed. The folder/file now appears in Android File Transfer when the N4 is plugged in although it wasn't last night. Maybe there was a refresh issue.

2) Moved over 500+ images to the CameraZOOM folder. They all appear on the N5 fine (when viewing via QuickPic, etc.) I haven't yet tried moving over the 1000 DCIM/Camera images. If I move those over will Google+ try to re-upload those? Is it better to just put them in a new directory?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance