wireless charger recommendations

jdlindsey7

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have never owned a phone with wireless charging capability until the N5 so I don't really know what to look for. Are there any concerns about using a wireless charger?
Also, I am willing to pay extra if it means better performance/functionality.
Thanks for your help.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 Qi charge is also going to be released soon that has magnets to hold the N5 in place.

However the new chargers like this LUGULAKE Qi Wireless that has a rechargeable battery that can charge your phone a few times without external AC power.

Last edited:

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the Nokia Wireless Charging Stand from AT&T. It's on sale for $51 which is spendy but it holds the phone up with two little rubber nubs.

It also has an NFC tag in front but it doesn't seem to work nicely with Android.

I'm hoping the official Google one will let the phone differentiate between "Charging" and "Docked" for Daydream.

ETA: AT&T have the Nokia Charging Plate for $25.

aco905

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes Digi QI Wireless Charger for LG Google Nexus 4 / Optimus Vu II, Nokia Lumia 920. Amazon prime, $28.98

I got this one from Amazon. I love it. No problems with heating or charging. I'm using a Spigen slim case with it as well. I'm glad I got it.

Posted via Android Central App

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I went with this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om%2Fvu-wireless-charger%2F%2F&token=MVbHE_ve

e2RHDFq.jpg

It's a bit pricy but it's worth every penny. The Nexus 5 charges seconds after putting it on and it charges in nearly any position (don't need to hunt for the "right spot" for the charge to begin). It also makes a great addition to the desk since it's pretty sleek looking. The design lets you use the device, too, if you so want.

This is my first time using wireless charging and the convenience can't be understated. It's not so much that you don't need to plug a cable in, it's more about the fact that it's charging nearly all the time, which means you're never really worrying about the battery life anymore. Before, you'd set your device down on the table, only bothering with the cable if you knew you needed to charge your batts. Now, you put it on the charger instead so it's always charging regardless. The battery, therefore, is always always being "topped off." When you return to it or whenever it is you pick it up next, you're 10, 15, maybe even 20% more charged than before (the amazing thing is it charges pretty fast). You're never really worried about battery life anymore.

It also eliminates messy USB cables. Even though the wireless charger itself has a cable, it's always tucked away behind the charger. It's never "loose" so to speak. You're never tugging for it or looking for the end of the cable. Now, there's just this one designated place to charge your device. Plunk it down and you're good.

It's really nice.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I went with this: TYLT TYLT VU Qi Wireless Charger - Free Shipping at REI.com

View attachment 92423

It's a bit pricy but it's worth every penny. The Nexus 5 charges seconds after putting it on and it charges in nearly any position (don't need to hunt for the "right spot" for the charge to begin). It also makes a great addition to the desk since it's pretty sleek looking. The design lets you use the device, too, if you so want.

This is my first time using wireless charging and the convenience can't be understated. It's not so much that you don't need to plug a cable in, it's more about the fact that it's charging nearly all the time, which means you're never really worrying about the battery life anymore. Before, you'd set your device down on the table, only bothering with the cable if you knew you needed to charge your batts. Now, you put it on the charger instead so it's always charging regardless. The battery, therefore, is always always being "topped off." When you return to it or whenever it is you pick it up next, you're 10, 15, maybe even 20% more charged than before (the amazing thing is it charges pretty fast). You're never really worried about battery life anymore.

It also eliminates messy USB cables. Even though the wireless charger itself has a cable, it's always tucked away behind the charger. It's never "loose" so to speak. You're never tugging for it or looking for the end of the cable. Now, there's just this one designated place to charge your device. Plunk it down and you're good.

It's really nice.

I've been using the older Nexus 4 wireless charging hockey puck for at the house and I have this same one for my desk at work... I love this one but as you stated it is a bit pricey.... $70.00 but no tax and free USPS ground shipping... I love it for on my desk at work because it tilts the phone up and towards me while at my desk and with the daydream feature you can kind of keep an eye on the phone while it's charging..

TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the older Nexus 4 wireless charging hockey puck for at the house and I have this same one for my desk at work... I love this one but as you stated it is a bit pricey.... $70.00 but no tax and free USPS ground shipping... I love it for on my desk at work because it tilts the phone up and towards me while at my desk and with the daydream feature you can kind of keep an eye on the phone while it's charging..

TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

Yeah, it makes a great phone stand, too. Very easy to use the screen while it's on the charger.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it makes a great phone stand, too. Very easy to use the screen while it's on the charger.

It even works pretty good with my Nexus 7 as well.... and as far as pricey goes... The Nexus 4 charging orb was roughly $60 for the Play store new so I would venture to guess the new LG/Nexus 5 wireless charger will be in the $60 - 70 range too... outside of it saying "NEXUS" and having the magnets to hold the phone in place (I had to use some modeling clay to tilt the Nexus 4 charging orb more upright as the phone or Nexus 7 would slowly slide down and off enough that it wasn't charging any more) You can find cheaper Qi chargers on the market... I think this one is very nicely done and actually charges my Nexus 5 faster than when plugged up via USB cable....

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
ugh I want that TYLT one so bad, but I just can't justify the $70 bucks until I am sure I am keeping the N5 for the long haul.

I may just get one of the AT&T nokia plates for 25 bucks for now.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
ugh I want that TYLT one so bad, but I just can't justify the $70 bucks until I am sure I am keeping the N5 for the long haul.

I may just get one of the AT&T nokia plates for 25 bucks for now.

lol.. I feel your pain... I wrestled with spending $70 on a charger as well, after reading a bunch of reviews on the "Cheaper" options I decided to splurge and get this one, Don't regreat it at all..I also have a Nexus 7 - 2013 as well and my other option for a phone is the Note 3 which also has Qi charging ability, So I'll use it.. Debating on getting a second one for home to replace the Nexus 4 charging orb I use at home.... I was shocked that this charger was $30 cheaper directly from the MFG than at Amazon.com (I tried finding someone who possibly had it $10 - 20 cheaper but no success) Unless I end up with no device that uses the Qi standard I am guessing this charger SHOULD last a long time or I can package it with the N5 or N7 one day when I throw them on Craigslist......

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
lol.. I feel your pain... I wrestled with spending $70 on a charger as well, after reading a bunch of reviews on the "Cheaper" options I decided to splurge and get this one, Don't regreat it at all..I also have a Nexus 7 - 2013 as well and my other option for a phone is the Note 3 which also has Qi charging ability, So I'll use it.. Debating on getting a second one for home to replace the Nexus 4 charging orb I use at home.... I was shocked that this charger was $30 cheaper directly from the MFG than at Amazon.com (I tried finding someone who possibly had it $10 - 20 cheaper but no success) Unless I end up with no device that uses the Qi standard I am guessing this charger SHOULD last a long time or I can package it with the N5 or N7 one day when I throw them on Craigslist......

How do you like the nexus 4 charging orb? I am tempted to see if I can find a cheap used one for now.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have several different wireless chargers, a total of 4 I guess. I got the official Nexus 4 charger when it was released, but I had trouble with the phone sliding off of it. The Nexus 4 slides off of everything!

I have 2 different kinds of hockey puck chargers that are my favorites:

1. LG Electronics WCP-300 Wireless Charging Pad
This one is from LG who is the manufacturer of the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 5.

2. UL Qi Standard Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung S4 S3 Note 2 LG Nexus 4 Black
This sale includes only the charging pad & 2 USB cables (one long & one short), but no adapter. If you're like me you have lots of adapters laying around, but if you don't it's something to consider. It costs half as much as the LG charger. I also like how it has a soft rubber ring around the edge of the pad. It gives it a good grip.

Both of these chargers work great, and I highly recommend either one. I have a Nexus 5 and my wife has a Nexus 4, and we use both chargers on both phones.

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just looked on the AT&T site and I can get two of the nokia wireless chargers and a pack of zagg wipes for $40 bucks shipped. That is almost too cheap not to do it.

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
+1 on the TYLT charger.

I went through 4 Nexus 4 charging orbs, each one having the sliding issue even with the trick to reduce the slope of the orb.
Got the TYLT via KickStarter and it's been perfect. No worrying about whether or not the phone is lined up with the charging coils. Set it and forget it...
The only downside of the design is that it is a bit on the bulky side to pack when traveling.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you like the nexus 4 charging orb? I am tempted to see if I can find a cheap used one for now.

It works great.. I did have to use some modeling clay to tilt it upward a little to keep the phone and tablet from sliding off and out of position... Putting the clay underneath just tilted it upright and that stuff hardens up like a rock so now it works great and charges super fast.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the TYLT charger.

I went through 4 Nexus 4 charging orbs, each one having the sliding issue even with the trick to reduce the slope of the orb.
Got the TYLT via KickStarter and it's been perfect. No worrying about whether or not the phone is lined up with the charging coils. Set it and forget it...
The only downside of the design is that it is a bit on the bulky side to pack when traveling.

I used some modeling clay (Which hardens up like a rock) to tilt my Nexus 4 charging orb upright and I don't have any issues with it anymore.... But your right that angle is horrible.. My N7 and N5 slide right out of position all the time.. Now I have it almost flat and nothing slides off anymore.. but it charges fast.. Love the TYLT but yeah it's bulky... I keep it on my desk at work.