Nexus 5: Dispelling the Myths

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
As it usually is with every new phone release, especially those of importance throughout the year, there's typically a few things about these phones that people latch onto as "fact", causing others who were considering the phone to either dismiss it completely or hesitate. It's frustrating for these people as they may have intended to buy the phone, only to second guess their decision based on an outpouring of opinions on a forum like this. Having used over 50 different smartphones over the past 3 years, I believe I'm more than capable of providing some insight on these subjects and hopefully help make the decision process a little easier for those still on the fence.

History with battery life on high-end smartphones tells us that the phones with smaller battery sizes typically are pretty awful on battery life. In late 2013, 2300 mah isn't exactly a large battery when compared to the 2600 mah of the Galaxy S4, 3000 mah of the LG G2, and the 3200 mah battery of the Note 3. More specifically, the Nexus 4 last year shipped with a 2100 mah battery, making the Nexus 5 only a modest increase in battery size. Adding LTE, a 1080p 5-inch screen, and a higher-clocked CPU would tend to make one think that the battery probably won't be that big of an upgrade over the Nexus 4. So with that said, there's a lot of "Nexus 5 has terrible battery life" lines out there, from forums like this to reviews from tech sites. The truth? It's not terrible at all. In fact, it's actually above average.

The Snapdragon 800 is an efficient CPU that handles processes very quickly, rarely needs to use the full 2.3ghz, and handles LTE as efficiently as I've seen. With a full charge starting at 7AM, I'm on LTE for 11 hours during the work day. I send a fair amount of text messages, typically have around 20 minutes of voice calls, and spend most of the time syncing 2 email accounts and browsing Facebook/Twitter. On the way to/from work, I'm listening to Google Play Music that's stored locally on the device for about an hour and a half total. By 6PM, I've usually put between 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes of on-screen time and have anywhere between 50-60% battery life left. From 6PM until whenever I decide to go to bed, I'm on WiFi the remaining time. From there, I'm putting another 30-40 minutes of voice calls on it, spending time on Youtube, and generally ending up with about 3 to 3 and a half hours of on-screen time with roughly 14-17 hours of use. On weekends, with primarily WiFi, it's been 16-19 hours with over 4 hours on-screen.

Is that as good as the Note 3 or G2? No. It's not as good as the Moto X, either, but it's not nearly as far off as some have claimed it to be. If that usage pattern, which I would deem as moderate-to-heavy, is something you can compare to, you should be pretty happy with battery life.

A 1080p IPS display is going to be good no matter what you do with it, but there's been a lot of "washed out" comments as it pertains to the screen on the Nexus 5. Can the screen look washed out compared to other screens, specifically an AMOLED? Sure. What you're actually seeing, however, is color accuracy. Outside of the iPhone 5 with it's SRGB configuration, the Nexus 5 is probably one of the most accurate screens available. If accuracy appeals to you, you'll love this screen. If more vibrant colors and higher saturation are a must for you, this might not be the best choice. It's all down to preference. Are there other screens that tend to meet more in the middle? Of course. The HTC One and LG G2 are prime examples. Either way, the display on the Nexus 5 is nothing to be disappointed with.

Finally, the camera is always the most highly-debated part of a smartphone, but this has gone to another level. I could go into some long rant about the hardware vs software thing, but I'm going to keep this short. The Nexus 5 has a good camera that needs to be tweaked on the software side to bring out it's full potential. Focus speeds are slow and there's a good amount of shutter lag. What does this mean for the end user? Taking pictures of moving objects are going to be a pain in the ***. If you have time to frame a shot, however, in good or even low light, you'll get a good shot with the Nexus 5. It can hang with any smartphone camera out there (outside of the Lumia 1020 and some Sony models). If you have faith in Google to fix the software issues plaguing the camera, you have nothing to worry about as far as the camera goes.

If this helps you make the decision to buy or not buy the Nexus 5, then great. If this affirms your purchase, then great. If you disagree and hate this phone, also great. I just wanted to provide some insight on issues that are being blown out of proportion.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have stayed quiet about this too but I feel like the battery is about the same as my Note 2 was

My battery life has been comparable. I got 5 hours 40 minutes of on-screen time, and at full brightness. I think battery life is comparable to other phones with embedded batteries.

One thing I love is how well the phone holds a charge. If I turn the screen off, I lose no charge. I went to bed with 44% last night and woke up with 44%. I never saw this on my HTC or Samsung or Moto phones.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally, the camera is always the most highly-debated part of a smartphone, but this has gone to another level. I could go into some long rant about the hardware vs software thing, but I'm going to keep this short. The Nexus 5 has a good camera that needs to be tweaked on the software side to bring out it's full potential. Focus speeds are slow and there's a good amount of shutter lag. What does this mean for the end user? Taking pictures of moving objects are going to be a pain in the ***. If you have time to frame a shot, however, in good or even low light, you'll get a good shot with the Nexus 5. It can hang with any smartphone camera out there (outside of the Lumia 1020 and some Sony models). If you have faith in Google to fix the software issues plaguing the camera, you have nothing to worry about as far as the camera goes.
I actually think this is fair. I can agree with this. The camera is not fast (probably due to software). But it can take some great photos.

If anyone is doubting quality though, I'd recommend a trip to the Nexus 5 Camera thread. Quality-wise, the camera ranks with the best IMO.

IMG_20131016_223412.jpg

89938d1383482230t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-f4fa.jpg

90230d1383630891t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-img_20131104_215025.jpg

90302d1383678318t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-2013-11-05-13.52.11.jpg

91113d1384117510t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-img_20131109_162559.jpg

91189d1384186114t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-png7.jpg

EDIT: I am also not convinced that google will ever fix the camera app. However I do think 3rd party options will fix it if nothing else. If the author of Focal can get the app to work with the nexus 5 I will probably stop using the native camera app altogether.

Last edited:

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been comparable. I got 5 hours 40 minutes of on-screen time, and at full brightness. I think battery life is comparable to other phones with embedded batteries.

One thing I love is how well the phone holds a charge. If I turn the screen off, I lose no charge. I went to bed with 44% last night and woke up with 44%. I never saw this on my HTC or Samsung or Moto phones.

+1. As someone who was initially dispirited about the battery size, I stand officially (and happily) corrected. Much better than anticipated.

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
A 1080p IPS display is going to be good no matter what you do with it, but there's been a lot of "washed out" comments as it pertains to the screen on the Nexus 5. Can the screen look washed out compared to other screens, specifically an AMOLED? Sure. What you're actually seeing, however, is color accuracy.
This is a great point. If you're one who likes the look of an LED HDTV with out of box settings, then you'll be happier with a Samsung phone and it's overblown, unnatural screen settings. This phone will look "dull" in comparison. I love the Nexus 5 screen though!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a great point. If you're one who likes the look of an LED HDTV with out of box settings, then you'll be happier with a Samsung phone and it's overblown, unnatural screen settings. This phone will look "dull" in comparison. I love the Nexus 5 screen though!
I am one of those people who actually like the oversaturated look. But I don't think the Nexus 5 looks washed out. It is much better than the Nexus 4 was IMO.

The deep blacks on AMOLED display are what make LCD displays look washed out IMO.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I actually think this is fair. I can agree with this. The camera is not fast (probably due to software). But it can take some great photos.

If anyone is doubting quality though, I'd recommend a trip to the Nexus 5 Camera thread. Quality-wise, the camera ranks with the best IMO.

http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_20131016_223412.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...exus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-f4fa.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...hotos-videos-thoughts-img_20131104_215025.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...hotos-videos-thoughts-2013-11-05-13.52.11.jpg

EDIT: I am also not convinced that google will ever fix the camera app. However I do think 3rd party options will fix it if nothing else. If the author of Focal can get the app to work with the nexus 5 I will probably stop using the native camera app altogether.

Have you rooted, unlocked your device? If so, did you try the camera mod that appears to improve the camera?

[MOD] Camera V1.4 [TEST] [Video Bitrate - Audio Channel Hack - Max Image Quality] - xda-developers

One of the first things I'm doing this evening.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you rooted, unlocked your device?
Nope. Havn't had a reason to yet.

I did that with my Nexus 4 cuz I had to (to get the Franco Kernal, and be able to adjust gamma to non-washed-out levels). The Camera does not annoy me enough yet to want to root. I am glad they are developing this stuff though.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I think that the OP is dead on. JeffDenver's comment about fast charging is also extremely important and accurate. 1% per minute is what I am getting.

My battery gripes are more based on "what could have been" with a huge battery at this point but in actual usability this phone is absolutely adequate and kitkat without a disgusting bloat skinned UI covering it is as good as it gets. I was really hot on the G2 but it only wins on paper.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that the OP is dead on. JeffDenver's comment about fast charging is also extremely important and accurate. 1% per minute is what I am getting.

My battery gripes are more based on "what could have been" with a huge battery at this point but in actual usability this phone is absolutely adequate and kitkat without a disgusting bloat skinned UI covering it is as good as it gets. I was really hot on the G2 but it only wins on paper.

Would I have preferred them to omit wireless charging in favor of an extra 300-400 mah? Of course. I'm guessing their battery testing found the usage to be sufficient enough and went the other way with it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My battery gripes are more based on "what could have been"
Yeah, me too. I have been harping about a removable battery for years, but it just is not going to happen. And a big embedded battery won't happen because they want to compete in thinness. My HTC Rezound could go days between charges, and without having to make battery saving compromises. Extended batteries are just awesome.

It sucks, but I finally had to let it go. Google is not going to budge on that. If you want a Nexus you have to accept mediocre battery and no SD. Thats just the way it is.

I was really hot on the G2 but it only wins on paper.
Ditto. LG's obnoxious skin, and the weird buttons on the back and ugly case would have killed it for me. But it's specs are better than the nexus in every way. vanilla Android was the real reason I would have still gone with a Nexus.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I find the battery life to be at least on par with my iPhone 4.

Now that I have most of the stuff I want already plugged into the Nexus 5, and am not looking at it every 5 seconds, I find it to be above average for my needs.

Here is a day in the life of my phone.

2nsxpcm.jpg

Would love to know why Google Play Service takes up 11% when nobody else seems to have it really take up any battery time?!?!?!

Last edited:

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
If this helps you make the decision to buy or not buy the Nexus 5, then great. If this affirms your purchase, then great. If you disagree and hate this phone, also great. I just wanted to provide some insight on issues that are being blown out of proportion.

Adranalyne, I just want to thank you (well other than the Thanks added to the post) for making this analysis. I actually ordered my 32GB Nexus 5 this morning (since I knew I had a couple of weeks till it shipped and I didn't want to wait longer). Every since then I've been second guessing myself (because that's what I do). I'm coming from an S3 that has been suffering from below average battery life recently along with some other issues and I also liked the idea of KitKat and carrier independence (in 8 months when my contract is up). I found this post incredibly reassuring and the details of your usage pattern VERY helpful (I'm nearly identical). I won't be cancelling my order and now I can't wait to play with my new device.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Havn't had a reason to yet.

I did that with my Nexus 4 cuz I had to (to get the Franco Kernal, and be able to adjust gamma to non-washed-out levels). The Camera does not annoy me enough yet to want to root. I am glad they are developing this stuff though.

Ok cool. Rooting is a requirement for me for any Android phone LOL. And since this is something that improves core functionality, I'm willing to try it. I'll let you guys know how it works.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok cool. Rooting is a requirement for me for any Android phone LOL.
I rooted my nexus 4 and regretted it when the OTA came out. Upgrading to a new OS version is kind of a hassle when rooted. So I don't root unless I have a specific reason to anymore. My Nexus 4 is still not even on 4.3.

I may root for that camera though.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my nexus 4 and regretted it when the OTA came out. Upgrading to a new OS version is kind of a hassle when rooted. So I don't root unless I have a specific reason to anymore. My Nexus 4 is still not even on 4.3.

I may root for that camera though.

Exactly.. This is only the second Android phone I have not rooted (The Nexus One was the other) So far I have not found a reason to root.. The main reason I rooted my EVO 4G, EVO 4G LTE and GS3 was to get rid of Sense and Touchwiz while also removing all the bloatware installed from the carriers... Outside of the slow camera shutter speed I'll just wait it out and see if Google pushes out a software update for the camera... I am sure they will and if all else fails I'll root later..right now no reason to do so...