Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 not picking up AT&T LTE

So, my Nexus 5 isn't picking up the LTE in my city - which does have LTE. My wife's iPhone 5s picks it up just fine, but I'm just on HSPA+. I've verified that LTE is selected as the Network Mode in settings. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar issues?

Default Re: Nexus 5 not picking up AT&T LTE

Well I'm on sprint. But I recently found out since the nexus 5 has a new style LTE antenna in it. I won't get LTE until they upgrade to the new lte software on the towers in my area. Not sure if it's the same issue on at&t

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,295 Global Posts

Just yesterday I received a new LTE-enabled SIM card for my Net10 AT&T service, and my Nexus 5 picks up LTE just fine. I live in a rural area so it's not extremely high speed, but it is LTE.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

As soon as I slapped the MicroSIM from my Nexus 4 into my Nexus 5 it picked up LTE, the APN setting auto updated. T-Mobile, NYC
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

I initially didn't get LTE when my SIM from my Nexus 4 was used by me in my 5. Went to an AT&T store, had them put new SIM in. Also they put my Nexus 5 's IMEI into my account. I immediately had LTE. Perhaps that will work for you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SeeAreEff View Post
    Well I'm on sprint. But I recently found out since the nexus 5 has a new style LTE antenna in it. I won't get LTE until they upgrade to the new lte software on the towers in my area. Not sure if it's the same issue on at&t

That's not true bro. If u have only have 1900 in your city u should still pick up LTE.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

ROM
    CM10 nightly/CleanROM 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Whammie View Post
    So, my Nexus 5 isn't picking up the LTE in my city - which does have LTE. My wife's iPhone 5s picks it up just fine, but I'm just on HSPA+. I've verified that LTE is selected as the Network Mode in settings. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar issues?
    Make sure LTE data is provisioned on your line: i.e. have a LTE data plan.

And check which APN you are using. Should be ATT Phone.

After that, I'd think you'd be good to go

Posted via Android Central App

Had the same thing happen coming from the N4. I called AT&T and they update the IMEI number in their system and after rebooting the phone I picked up LTE no problem. My SIM was an LTE SIM as prior to N4 was an LTE device. You may need to go into a store like newsmam787 and get a new SIM as well.

Using Tapatalk

Correct.

With AT&T's system, if your phone's IMEI is not registered to your account, you will not get an LTE connection. In fact, I don't think you can get any cellular data at all, but I am not certain on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Correct.

With AT&T's system, if your phone's IMEI is not registered to your account, you will not get an LTE connection. In fact, I don't think you can get any cellular data at all, but I am not certain on that point.
    Wrong on both. But you do need get your data plan provisioned for LTE. In order to do that, they need your IMEI number to verify you do have a LTE capable phone. Once provisioned, you can use any phone.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    Wrong on both. But you do need get your data plan provisioned for LTE. In order to do that, they need your IMEI number to verify you do have a LTE capable phone. Once provisioned, you can use any phone.
    Perhaps. But, that is not what they told me.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Perhaps. But, that is not what they told me.
    The only reason AT&T *wants* you to register your IMEI is to make sure they can force you to sign up for a smartphone data plan if you don't have one. In fact, you can bring any GSM phone to AT&T network with an existing working SIM and it works just fine. But AT&T requires that any smartphone used on their network must pay them for smartphone data plan (the cheapest one is $20/mo for 300MB). It's a rip off. It is a common practice for ppl to buy a non-AT&T phone and aovid paying the data plan because AT&T doesn't recognize the IMEI as smartphone. The minute you bring any GMS phone to AT&T network, your IMEI number is automatically registered to AT&T system.

Bottom line: you can't trust anything AT&T reps told you.

As it was stated just make sure you have a data plan that is LTE provisioned and then check the APN settings. My Nexus picked up LTE right out the box with my existing SIM which was used in a GS4, HTC One and LG G2. So for me no issues at all. Here are the general APN settings for AT&T LTE which my phones have used:

AT&T APNs

•Name: ATT PTA
    •APN: pta
    •MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    •MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    •MMS port: 80
    •MCC: 310
    •MNC: 410
    •Auth: none
    •APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

As stated above you simply need an LTE provisioned account. After that drop the sim into any att or unlocked device and you are good to go.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

I just received my N5 on Tuesday, swapped the SIM from my N4, called ATT, registered the IMEI, rebooted the phone and BAM! LTE Mobile Data

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    The only reason AT&T *wants* you to register your IMEI is to make sure they can force you to sign up for a smartphone data plan if you don't have one. In fact, you can bring any GSM phone to AT&T network with an existing working SIM and it works just fine. But AT&T requires that any smartphone used on their network must pay them for smartphone data plan (the cheapest one is $20/mo for 300MB). It's a rip off. It is a common practice for ppl to buy a non-AT&T phone and aovid paying the data plan because AT&T doesn't recognize the IMEI as smartphone. The minute you bring any GMS phone to AT&T network, your IMEI number is automatically registered to AT&T system. I

Bottom line: you can't trust anything AT&T reps told you.
    So I can bring my Nexus 5 to AT&T without "buying" a data plan from them, and I'd still be able to get data, as long as I have an active SIM card?

What AT&T plan are you guys going with? I don't need very many minutes or messages, but just at least 2GB of data

I just dropped Verizon and have been with Straight Talk now for 2 weeks, and I've been having data connection issues (I get LTE fine, but am having syncing issues). I assume it's their SIM card, so I'm looking to ditch Straight Talk and just go to AT&T directly, but don't want to pay the $80 I was paying with Verizon. I know T-Mobile has a $30 plan for 100 minutes and unlimited text and data (I assume it's 4G). Just not sure how T-Mobile is in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Garconis View Post
    So I can bring my Nexus 5 to AT&T without "buying" a data plan from them, and I'd still be able to get data, as long as I have an active SIM card?
    You won't be forced to.get a data plan. But if you want to use cell data, you'd better get a data plan. Otherwise, you will be paying per kb price and that will bankrupt you quickly.