Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeeAreEff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default White speaker on the white N5 models. Distracting.

Anyone else get distracted by the white speaker? I keep thinking it's the LED notification light from the corner of my eye when I'm looking at my computer screen. I've had it for almost two weeks now, too. Don't think I'll ever get used to it >_>.

Here's a picture so others know what I'm referring to.
    White speaker on the white N5 models. Distracting.-dsc02149.jpg

Default Re: White speaker on the white N5 models. Distracting.

Yes all the time. I wish they had made either the entire phone white or at least left the speaker black

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ras.cal likes this.

Before my white N5 arrived I was really worried about the white speaker.

Since actually getting the unit I have little problem with it. While using the unit I don't even really notice it since my eyes are focused on the screen. And I could never confuse the dim white speaker with the bright notification light.

However, I am curious to hear from those that have tried a fix. I mean, conceivably even using a black Sharpie might work. But I'm not willing to try it out on my N5....
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by xstinkyx View Post
    Before my white N5 arrived I was really worried about the white speaker.

Since actually getting the unit I have little problem with it. While using the unit I don't even really notice it since my eyes are focused on the screen. And I could never confuse the dim white speaker with the bright notification light.

However, I am curious to hear from those that have tried a fix. I mean, conceivably even using a black Sharpie might work. But I'm not willing to try it out on my N5....
    Haha, there's no way I would do that, but I think it would be a great fix if it bothered someone enough. I imagine it would look like it came black from the factory without looking horrible. One thing I always think about is resell value, so I'd never alter it personally. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it looks.

I like the look. It adds contrast to the all black front.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

It makes it easier to tell my phone from the wife's phone....

I keep thinking it is the notification light as well. I have to look at my phone a few seconds longer while its on my desk to make sure I don't have a notification.

Surprisingly, I don't confuse it with a notification... I am easily distracted by reflections on my Maxx's screen, confusing it with an Active Notification, but not sure why the white dot doesn't attract my attention.

Perhaps if you were to change your LED light to consistently flash a different color than white, then you can train your brain to look for that color instead, haha. I've toyed around with the idea of using a Sharpie on the earpiece, and I actually might do that this weekend. Probably will use a color instead of just black though.

I have the black one, so can't speak from experience, but have to ask.... doesn't it make it easier to orient which end is 'up' on the phone at a glance?

It helps me tell the top from the bottom quickly when I need to grab the phone and use it. My iPhone's button was very helpful for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    I have the black one, so can't speak from experience, but have to ask.... doesn't it make it easier to orient which end is 'up' on the phone at a glance?
    It does, but, opposite of you, I don't know how confused I would be with a black earpiece =p

it helps me know which way is right way up. im still having hard time grasping that my notification light is now at bottom ><

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing...many times when I pulled my N4 out of my pocket I had it upside down lol